Spending too much on Internet

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Baxate • Oct 24, 2014.

1. Peter Hubinsky

Peter HubinskyNew Member

Threads:
    I think $100 a month is way too much to pay for standard Internet service. I pay $85 a month to Frontier, and for that I get a landline, lightning link high-speed ISP, Frontier Secure Internet security, and personal identity theft protection and monitoring. I think Frontier is a better company than Time Warner or Comcast or Verizon, and their level of professionalism is pretty good, their service is pretty good overall. I have been through a lot of ISP services but I've been sticking with Frontier for several years now and have no complaints.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the wi-fi postpaid plan that came with a cellphone subscription plan that is used by the people in here costs around $25 or less per month. I connect to the internet differently using a USB broadband modem, so I pay less for my internet connection.

3. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    It's funny you should mention Frontier. When I first read your title, I thought to myself, "Oh, I have to respond and comment about Frontier and their very reasonable prices." Looks like you beat me to the punch. I have some of their services and although they aren't perfect, they aren't asking for all my money either. If you are also looking for a good stock to purchase, you might want to consider Frontier as well. They have almost doubled their stock prices in the past 18 months and their dividend rate is very nice.

4. jaxson's mommy

jaxson's mommyNew Member

Threads:
    The Internet I have now is about 65 to 70 a month and I feel that is crazy! We don't even have a very good connection. There are times it just randomly stops and we have to reload it on our phones or laptops. If one of use is on our phone using the Internet and someone's on a computer or tablet we can't do anything without it taking 5 mins or lagging terriably!

5. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Here in the UK I'm paying £20 a month and I get a speed of 4Mb. That's over a WiFi connection as well so not too bad. Plugged directly into the router I've had up 15Mb and that's nowhere near the fastest in this area.
    I wouldn't spend more than £30 a month on internet.

6. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, 100 bucks? For 2 MB/s?!??!?! That's quite disproportionate.
    Where I used to live, I had 500 MB/s of speed for a bargain of 20$. Of course, you can't truly compare the situations, because here, 20 bucks is a lot, whereas where you live, you can afford the 100 bucks. However, it's still a lot for so little... Can't you switch to another company?

7. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I pay £17 a month in the UK for superfast fibre optic broadband, i knew the USA was more expensive than here for internet access but i am shocked at $100 per month. As others have said give the provider a call and threaten to leave they are bound to offer you a better deal, it has worked for me several times over the years with internet and satellite companies.

I think prices are so expensive in the US because there isn't so much competition like in other countries, the market seems to be dominated by a couple of main providers. Prices also seem to vary according to which city you are in or close to.

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My bill is about $40/month, and when I cut the cord it will go up to around $60/month. I think that's a lot, but that's what I'll have to pay to be able to stream, which I will definitely need, especially once I cut the cable cord. I can probably do without the cable TV service, as long as I can stream, but I refuse to live without my internet. There are only 2 options here, and I refuse to go back to Comcast, since their service was even worse than what I currently have.

9. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Firstly, it was a business plan. If 4 people constantly use it, for each to earn an individual income of $3K per month, then it is justified. 2MBPS is a good speed. It depends on what you do and your requirements. I suppose, you are sharing the business plan. If each one gets 2 MBPS then the collective speed could be the order of around 8 MBPS.

If you think the cost is too much, you may take a DSL residential plan. The speeds, however, will be lower and further reduced by sharing. It's common knowledge that bandwidth gets shared upon sharing.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Internet access prices are very extortionate in Botswana, but they're coming down, and the bandwidth is also being increased. Now, that you can sort of understand from a third world country. Given where you are, I'd say that does sound hefty, especially because it's not inclusive of anything else like cable. Even by UK standards, I'd say that's ridiculous! Is it maybe because you're on a business plan, because those do tend to be quite high?

11. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    $100 a month is absolutely too much. I would need to know which city you live in to know the best deal for your local area but there is no reason to be paying that much for internet service. Start by looking for internet re-sellers in your area, these are companies that buy internet data in bulk from the big guys and sell it to you at a discount.

Next figure out if you can lower how much bandwidth you use. Did you know that when you surf youtube in HD mode that your computer downloads other videos you *might* look at next if you leave the auto-play feature on? That means you might be downloading entire HD videos you will never see. Turn auto-play off, set the maximum quality to 320 and you can save a lot of bandwidth, depending on how much you use youtube.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, I wish I were as knowledgeable as you, BigBigFan! I also wish I had the option of looking for re-sellers where I am. As it stands, I think we have a huge part government owned organisation that sells to internet companies, which then sell onto us. That's the only option we have, sadly. It doesn't help that Botswana is such a tiny market, with a population of less than 2 million :(

13. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    Why are you on a business plan? I think spending $100/month on internet is a lot! Especially if like you say your internet is not very fast. I used to be with Rogers but they were very expensive as well so now I switched to another company that's not widely known and I pay $50.00/month and my speed is really fast and I get 300 gigs a month! I would really look into another company I'm sure you will find something cheaper!

14. VictorSalza

VictorSalzaMember

Threads:
    100 dollars per month is quite a bit. I think you should check out other plans. I can’t figure out why you would need a business plan. How many people are in your house using the internet?