Spicing Up A Dorm Room

Discussion in Home & Garden started by joshc428 • Aug 25, 2015.

1. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Currently I have a few posters from my favorite shows and movies hanging up on my wall. My bed is also adorned with a plethora of stuffed penguins that my girlfriend bought me. My desk also has some trinkets that I've bought from the Philippines like a model Jeepney. However, it feels very bland. Any simple, versatile additions that anyone could add to a dorm room to spice it up?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To dress up your dorm room you can put a colorful rug on the floor and some bright colors on your windows if that is allowed. You don't want to have too many little things on your desk taking up room that you need to work. Also a colored shade on your lamp would help.

3. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I'd go for bright colors that don't clash with each other. A colored rug and curtains. Also a coordinating, not matching, bedsheet set. You can find great DIY dorm decor ideas on Pinterest.

4. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Curtains are a great way of spicing up any room. Pick a dark colored one so that it will not get easily dirty. Maybe add a carpet or rug too as others have posted. That can liven up a boring space too. I saw some house tours or room tours in youtube that add some polaroid shots in their walls. These look cute too. They just hang it in a yarn then taped it in the wall.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Along with everything already mentioned and am assuming your room is not particularly spacious and therefore you don't want it to look too cluttered - one of the simplest and most cost effective solutions - would be to add some brightly colored throw pillows/cushions along with a matching colored blind at the window and a rug - as just doing that generally works wonders in making a small space feel warm, welcoming and homely - as does the addition of a few plants.

Or if you don't want the worry of having too many plants to water - how about one of these - an airplant terrarium

Air Plant Terrarium.

as not only are they so easy to care for that they virtually look after themselves - but as they come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes and can be placed wherever you want - either on a surface or hanging from almost anywhere - there is sure to be something that would compliment your room without taking up too much space

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would go for some nice fleece throws as you can change them and they are very useful. It does depend on you taste and how much space you have, but as some dorms don't allow too much pinning up, get a large pin board or white board ( use sticky tack ) and put up photos and pictures you like. Also it's quicker to take things with you that way and not to leave any holes or marks on the wall.

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It is sometimes quite difficult when you're at college, because there are only a certain number of things that you will be allowed to change about the place while you're there. So, you should take things like posters, rugs and cushions - as this won't make a difference to the actual furniture, but it does give you the chance to think about adding a bit of your own personality into the room, which can only be a good thing of course. You might have to be a little bit inventive, but you can certainly make your dorm room shine quite cheaply.