Sports Injuries

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by May102014 • Jul 25, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I constantly get injuries when I work it. It mostly happens during my cardio sessions, which last for 45 - 50 minutes. It's pains in my upper right shoulder or left thigh muscles. I always do stretches and proper warm ups before all my workouts and do a nice stretch afterwards. What can I do to minimize injuries during workouts? How do you guys handle such minor injuries and how do you prevent them? Any advice would help.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Eat!!! You might be lacking proper nutrition enough to fuel you up while you are doing your exercises and for muscle repair after your workout. You might also getting dehydrated, which is another common cause of injury so I suggest that you drink a lot of water before, after and during your workout. Always keep yourself hydrated and eat banana and other super-foods.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a limit of exertion your body can take. If you push yourself beyond that limit then most likely you'll get injuries. Find out what your limit is and if you have to attempt to push yourself beyond it, work at that gradually.

Do you always have a trainer/coach by your side? Most people get injuries because they don't get professional advice while working out. They [trainers] know the right exercises for different body types. You can get some good advice on youtube too if you don't want the extra expenses.

4. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I'll echo the sentiment above of proper hydration. Without the proper amount of water your muscles tend to get strains easier. The suggestion is about 8 cups of water, however, I would actually suggest more water than that. I personally drink about 100-120 ounce of water per day, or about 12-16 cups of water.

Also, I know that you state that you do proper stretches, but do you do enough of them, or for enough time. Even if you feel like you have done enough, I would suggest that you double the amount of stretching because of the pulls and strains.

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Keeping hydrated is what my boxing trainer told me to maintain stamina and lessen injuries. I had at least 2 liters of cold tea with me during boxing workout and sometimes it still was not enough. I sweat a lot during workouts and I guess my trainer was right. I had no major injuries when I was training then.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's best to consult a doctor especially in your case that the pain is persistent. It may be lack in nutrition, lack of water, it can actually be a lot of things. If it's been bothering you for so long and the pain is as regular as your workout then there maybe something serious that you should know the soonest possible time. Serious or not, a visit to a doctor can help lessen your worries. :)

7. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    You have cold tea while you workout? I always thought that tea was a diarrhetic that would cause you to dehydrate faster; like coffee. Does it work for you, and are there any benefits to having the cold tea.

The reason I ask, is because I love cold green tea...I'd drink it incessantly if I could.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A recent death from working out pass the point to exhaustion and drinking too much water or other liquid was just in the news. The body can not handle a lot of liquids at one time. So when you do drink take your time but most of all do not let your self get too dehydrated. You may also not have enough calcium or potassium in your system as suggested in the above post.

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Lots of water before and after workouts and possibly taking some Ibuprofen before you workout can help limit the little bumps and bruises that happen when you workout. I've had a lot of problems with my knee recently and just doing those 2 things have really allowed me to keep working out pain-free. If it does get any worse, probably the best course of action is to take a few days off and let your body recover.

10. Betsyake

BetsyakeMember

Threads:
    I think you should heal your body injuries until you have a good health to do other matters.

11. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Works just fine for me. Tea being a diuretic substance does not cause you to dehydrate. Diuretic is defined as causing increased passing of urine. Go ahead, try it yourself during workouts. ;)

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people aren't working out right. There is a proper way to do each movement and rarely does anyone know that. I can't type everything, I think you'd be best to find a trainer to help you or look up high intensity training. Proper trainers have educated themselves thoroughly on proper movements, specifically to avoid injury and for those with specific issues etc. Just lifting a weight up and down is terrible for your body.. once you start to tire, your body shifts the weight to something not so tired lol (trying to break it down as simply as possible here) which is one of the many ways you obtain injuries.