Sports of a martial art?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • Dec 7, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If you were to choose between the two, which would you most likely go for? I like sports, but I think martial art would be more useful and relevant because you would not only get fit here, but you'd also have the skill to protect yourself. Unlike sports, martial art has real application and not just for fun and competitive play.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer martial arts as well because then you'd at least get to learn self defense on top of getting a good workout. Though I think playing sports is a bit more focused on keeping your weight low so if you're after that then it's probably the better option. I think martial arts are a bit more useful in a practical sense but for something like MMA it at least combines the two.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Martial arts isn't for everyone. Of course it has some benefits like learning self-control that can be practically useful in life but for someone like me my pacifist principles hold me back from learning martial arts. I've stayed out of trouble since I turned 24 and will still steer clear from fights and stuff like that for the rest of my life. In any case I live in a crime-free neighborhood so learning martial arts wouldn't be that valuable to me.

That's why I'd choose sports any time.