Square Footage

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Ke Gordon • Jan 30, 2016.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I realize this is something that cheapskates like myself do, but do you read the square footage on paper towels and toilet paper, aluminum foil etc. to see if you are getting a good deal? Sometimes prices that seem very good on namebrand items are not so good when you read the square footage on them. Also, square footage can vary a lot on generic items as well...buying 2.00's worth of product in one brand, will get you a lot more product than in others.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not so much with paper towel, but I do pay attention to the amounts on stuff like foil or plastic wrap. I really go more by the weight of it in my hand. As much as I love Dollar Tree, they're not a great place to get stuff like re-sealable plastic bags - there's only like 10 bags in a whole box, whereas the brand name ones might have like 20-25. Same goes with their foil, you wrap a few things and then the whole roll is gone. One of the biggest offenders though would have to be wrapping paper - I hate it when they sell these seemingly large sets of rolls, and then you go to wrap some stuff and there is only like 5 feet of paper on the roll.

With stuff like toilet paper or paper towel, if it's really light, I don't bother with it. I go for the rolls that feel dense and heavy, so I know I'm getting my moneys worth and not just paying for a bunch of air.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, that is smart..I will just routinely buy the packages that offer the most square footage for the price regardless of what the brand is. I do the same with other packages..I read the ounces in boxes of cereal, bags of snacks, etc. to make sure I am not paying more for less product...unless there is something I really, really want,..then I don/t care..ie suspend the rule.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've just started to read the square footage on toilet paper and do the math to see if it's a good deal. I look at the number of sheets per roll on toilet paper and paper towels. Just because it's cheaper in price doesn't mean you're getting a good deal unless you are using square footage to go by. I found this to be true at Costco. I was amazed at the number of sheets you get in the Kirkland paper towels vs Bounty. I ended up buying Bounty because it was on sale and I love this paper towel but I think the next time I'll buy the Kirkland as it is definitely a better deal.

5. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It is imperative that we pay attention to what we are getting for our money when we are purchasing items so that we may not be short-changed. We should always check and compare the goods we are purchasing. Sometimes we just go for an item because of the name of the producer which is perceived to be tops in that field, however, we should be careful that we are not running the risk of paying for the name and not the value of the goods.

6. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I've been comparing all types of measurements since I began noticing how the packaging of some products have gotten smaller. Even then if the package still seems the same size the contents are less. Of course there are some products (brand name) that I will pay more for. When it comes to bathroom tissue or other paper products that have proved to be worth it I will buy them.

I have also had the disappointment as @ohiotom76@ohiotom76 states with storage bags and rolls of packaging paper and not just at the dollar stores but that was before checking the labels. I didn't stop buying them I just knew what to expect in the future. Hey you just can't beat the dollar stores prices.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OMG no, I don't LOL Does that not take up a lot of your time?! Although I suppose if it's saving you a few pennies, they soon add up and make a huge difference. But no, I don't do it and I'm not likely to go that far either LOL

8. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I don't read the square footage at all. Haha! At times, I even just look at which has the cheapest price available. Now, I know my mistake and cringe at myself. I better up my game and look at square footage rather than prices. I might have been cheated already and I won't know if it had not been for this thread. So thank you very much for telling me about this!