SR-22 Car Insurance in Colorado?

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by narfcurrit • Nov 8, 2012.

1. narfcurrit

narfcurritNew Member

Threads:
    Does anyone know how to go about getting the best deals on SR-22 car insurance in Colorado? This is for people who have had a DUI in the past, so it's a higher-risk insurance option. It seems awfully expensive...

2. Traveller

TravellerMember

Threads:
    Well, it depends on the violation, the state, and the coverages he has.

He should expect a 50% surcharge on his auto insurance, for that SR22. He should also expect that with three years suspended, and a DUI, his insurance is going to cost a way, way WAY lot more than it did back then.

Other issues that factor in, are his credit score, driving record, vehicle type, age, and which coverages and how much he has.

3. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, it's not just for DUIs. I have to have an sr-22 due to a minor accident I had after my insurance had lapsed by just a few days (yes, I switched insurance companies after that). I have to have the sr-22 until the debt is fully paid.

I was with Nationwide for a while, then decided to give GEICO a try and was shocked by the cost difference for the same coverage. I switched and was shocked even more to find that the sr-22 cost was like $15 every two years. Nationwide was charging me $9 a month (a so-called processing fee)!!!