Stains On Your Favorite Clothing?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Diane Lane • Apr 14, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No matter how much money I've had at various times in my life, there has always come a time when I've spilled something on my perfect top/pants/dress, and was unable to remove the stain. I've tried quite a variety of products, but some stains just never come out.

A few years ago, I was in my favorite pink pajamas, while coloring my nails. I had the bottle of nail polish perched on my chest, because of course I was multi-tasking. Somehow the bottle got knocked over, and I got a dark green spot on my perfect pink pajama top. Did I mention these are my favorite pajamas? I tried everything to get the stain out. Nothing worked. The stain has faded somewhat over time, but I still have the pajamas, and I still wear them, although I'm careful not to wear the top around anyone else, because of the stain.

I have been de-stashing my craft supplies, and it occurred to me that I could embroider a flower around the green spot, which I've started doing. I noticed a spot on another shirt the other day, and I have a feeling I'll be embroidering flowers or another pretty design over that stain soon.

Have you found a perfect stain remover? Have you found a creative solution for dealing with stains?

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Covering up the stain can definitely be one way to deal with it. I did this on a pair of jeans I had - I added patches of denim to them to make them more unique to cover up a nail polish stain. Nail polish seems to be the most difficult thing to get out, from what I've found! (Although it seems to come out of carpet more easily at least!).

I've found that while the stain is still wet, or even while it isn't sometimes, baby wipes can get stains out. I was able to get a huge blueberry stain out of a blanket using baby wipes. It was well in there and had been through the wash as well and still came out using a few baby wipes!

3. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I am not so attached to clothes. If something is stained, I always want to be able to throw it away, never having my well being so hinged on a piece of clothing.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I hate when that happens! The worst was when I was growing up and bought this beautiful blue top and my mom got a bleach stain on it. I only wore it once! I was so upset and she didn't even replace it! Ugh! I'm getting upset just thinking about it. I wish I would have saved it and dyed it.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I covered a stain up on a sweater dress by stamping animal paw prints on the blue dress, it was a one of a kind and different. Stains on your favorite clothes is the worst.

6. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    There are many ways you could get rid of the stains, you can always use some products such as gasoline ( yes it definitely works for any kind of stain, depending on the type of fabric) you could add the gasoline and some detergent and then proceed to scrub the fabric lightly, you can also try placing some menthol on the stain and let it work for some minutes, it should disappear right after you scrub it, there are many things you could do.
    I am not responsible for whatever happens to your clothes after trying those methods, I have tried both ofthem and nothing bad has ever happened.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Until now I'm still in search of a stain remover. My husband had a new shirt which was a gift to him. It is a white shirt that looks expensive. One time when he had his hair dyed, he forgot about it and wore that white shirt on the next day. Maybe the dye used was not good so it produced stains on the collar of the shirt. Can you imagine a white collar with stains of black? It's really sad that after a year, that stain remains.

8. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    That is a really clever way to cover up a stain on perfectly good clothes. I do not think I am crafty enough to do that so I would have to try some other way or just throw them out. I usually save my stained t-shirts for pajama tops or something and just not wear them out in public. Sometimes, you can Google what type of stain you have and may be able to find a stain remover recipe for it.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Stains are really annoying. I remember I once splashed bleach on a nearly new pair of shorts. Sometimes I have used the same color magic marker to try to cover up the stain if it is something like bleach, but it never really looks the same. I think whatever you can do to make the stain look like it is part of the garment is good.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, the, lowest concentration of muriatic was able to remove that stubborn rust stain on my khaki pants, so I recommend it for removing stains on the same fabric. I won't recommend it for bra's though, my lace bra got dissolved a bit when I tried to remove a stain there, although at that time I was using a higher percentage of muriatic acid that time.

11. Cassie Lyons

Cassie LyonsMember

Threads:
    I will have to try out the baby wipes idea! I constantly get stains since I usually eat and work at the same time.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had the same experience when I was younger. Because I often wore light-colored shirts, it's hard removing the stain from them so you end up wearing them at home rather than outdoors. What I hate more than stain, though, is when your clothing starts to discolor. Any attempt to remove the stain or restore the fabric to its former glory ruins the color. Nowadays, I wear clothes with dark colors so whether there's a stain or not, it's hard for me to know. I just do what I can to clean them up and make them smell fresh.

13. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    A few years ago, I had spilled red wine on a favourite white tank top. I tried everything (spray and wash, bleach, stick stain) removers to get it out and it just wouldn't come out. I thought that was it, I ruined this great top, but then I bought Oxiclean. I read up on it and from what I could read it should take out the stain. I boiled water and dissolved the Oxiclean in a bucket, soaked the top over night and then washed it in the washing machine. I was amazed, the stain was gone 100%. I am a firm believer in Oxiclean for stains in clothes. It works on grass stains, food stains, red wine. If I have a grease stain on a cotton t-shirt I put Dawn dish detergent right on the stain and throw it the washing machine. The stain is gone as well.