Stand in line or self checkout

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by milyjohnson • Sep 8, 2014.

1. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like to see that either. It only makes sense to use self checkout when you have a little bit of stuff. I only go when I don't have that many items. People can be so inconsiderate and bring a cart full of stuff to self checkout. The point of s.c. is to get out of their faster, not stand there and wait all day for people to ring up their stuff. I saw a few people do that when I was in WalMart last week. I was glad that I wasn't in the lines with them.

2. LSJ-8

LSJ-8New Member

Threads:
    I prefer self checkout, mostly because where I am, they go ignored and few people use them. Another reason I prefer self checkout is because of the long lines at the cashiers. It always feels like stores need to have more registers open.

3. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I find it saves more time and money to go through a line with a cashier. I buy a lot of produce, and a seasoned cashier knows all of the codes by heart. I have to fumble around and look at pictures (is this a tangerine or a tangelo?). Also, it is a lot easier to shop with lots of coupons in a line with an actual cashier. That way, I can be sure the savings are maximized. I have had great cashiers who found coupons I had missed on products. Also, if I forget my loyalty card, the cashier will usually scan theirs.

4. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I see why you would think it would be better to stand in line. In the self checkout lines I go to, you can use all of your coupons. I'm not sure what would happen if the coupon is no good because mine usually are when I go in the self-checkout line. I do agree with you about the loyalty card. There's no way to use your card if you don't have it. At least the cashier will use theirs if you don't have yours. When I go to the self checkout lines, the cashier doesn't use their card if you forget it.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I shop I try to go into the stores when the least amount of people are in the store, I do not like crowds. If the lines are long and self checkout is moving faster I will use self checkout now that I have gotten more compfortable using the check out registers. It can be a little confusing and the stores are not the same, which is why I will go to the checker most of the time.

6. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like crowds either. I always tend to go nuts when I'm in crowded lines. I also complain a lot to the people who are with me. Now that I am more comfortable with the self checkout, I will go there. I still have some problems with it every now and then, but I like going to self checkout. I still go to the checker if I have a lot of things, but I will gladly go to the self checkout.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually never used to like self-checkout machines. Mostly because I didn't know how to use them and I didn't want to embarrass myself lol. But I have since gotten over that, and I never wait in lines anymore. Who has got time for that, unless one is trying to burn time? Lol.

8. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Since I use coupons most of the time, I usually opt for a cashier. Truth be told, I'm sure you can use coupons at some self checkouts, but I haven't bothered to check, haha. If I don't have any coupons then I have no qualms using the self checkout though, although it drives me nuts when I have to put my item on the scale afterwards.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    Actually you bring up a very good point. Over here, In England, I have never actually seen a self cashout machine that deals with coupons, or vouchers as we more frequently tend to refer to them over here. It would certainly eliminate that nightmare that people fret over - getting stuck in a line behind someone who has a long booklet of coupons to use.

10. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I've used self checkout on Home Depot and one CVS. I like it and it's pretty convenient when you are only paying for a few items. But cashiers are still important and necessary. For many items, the cashier will most likely scan the items faster than you can. Also sometimes the machines don't work. One time at CVS, the machine refused to take my bill, the bill was almost new so it shouldn't be a problem. We ended up needing help from the cashier anyway to finish the transaction.

11. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what I think will faster. However, at the grocery store I go to, they have a little scanner thing where you scan all your items (as you get them) and then walk up to self checkout, scan your bonus card thing and then all your items are on the screen and all you have to do is pay. It's honestly the future of the industry.

12. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    It's like that at my grocery store too. I would rather go to the self checkout there because a lot of the cashiers are pretty rude. I would rather ring it up myself than go to one of them. I don't have a choice if I have a lot of items, but if I have a little bit of things, I will go to self checkout.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not to get off topic, but this thread reminded me of when the PA turnpike near me decided to switch to all automatic machines for paying to go through the turnpikes. It didn't last very long because people were literally getting stuck on the turnpikes at night because they didn't have the proper change on them to put in the machines, lol. They should have at least put ATM's and change machines there too if they were going to do something like that, or accept credit card payments.

With regards to the self checkout lanes, yes you can use coupons on them. It's rather simple, you just scan in all their barcodes as you are checking out then insert them into the machine.

My main gripe with the self checkouts is the ones that are too hyper sensitive to potential stealing, or bagging an item without paying for it. Some of them use weight sensors under the bagging racks. It's annoying if you have some personal belongings like an umbrella that you need to set down and it thinks it's merchandise and keeps giving you a hard time about ringing it up first.

14. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    As a former cashier and self-checkout supervisor at a grocery store in Pennsylvania, I would advise the self-checkout machine. Though I would only advise this if you can actually work it. When they first came out it was horrible trying to get people to complete their orders (especially older folks, no offense), because people would get impatient with the machines.

I use self-checkout machines wherever they are available. I find that they save me time and by doing so I am not forced to interact with anyone. If there is one thing that I hate about shopping it is people who detest their jobs. I don't enjoy feeling like I am annoying someone by purchasing groceries, especially when you work in a grocery store.

Self-checkouts are great but don't get angry if something goes wrong. I used to have people that would bring a cart of 50+ items to a self-checkout meant for QUICK checkout (aka 10 or less items). They would drag their cart over and then try and bag items, leaving full bags around their cart which blocked others from accessing the self-checkout machines.

It's all a personal choice. Coupons are easy to do at self-checkout but only if the correct items are bought, and you are not attempting to use expired ones or scam the system.

I've deal with a lot of issues with self-checkout and supervising cashiers and I prefer robotic machines at this point.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    Some cashiers like to chat a lot. I have experienced cashiers who - even after having rung up you items and taken your money - will continue to talk. So I guess talking the self checkout machine would be a good idea if you wanted to avoid small talk or whatever. Overall though, I should use the self checkout machine more often. It is more convenient. But as I mentioned above, there may even be a line for those too. So you may still have to wait.

16. Hamz10

Hamz10Member

Threads:
    I like to use self checkout more. I'm not sure why. Maybe because less people use it so I never have to wait in line for it also it's sometimes much quicker if you're only buying a few items at a time. But if I have about 40 items, I will surely use the till.

17. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Give me self checkout any day of the week! I love this option and I run for it at every chance I get. I'm not all bother by a cashier's unpleasant disposition. I've had many encounters with them. I remember one cashier abruptly walked away from their station and I was the next person in line. I stood there for 5 minutes or so and left. It was weird and he was in the back somewhere talking amongst friends as if he was on a break. Jerk. With self checkout, I get done much quicker. I remember my friend telling me about self checkout in 2005 when she moved to Atlanta. I was surprise because at the time the concept was foreign in the town where I live. Even when I travelled to Chicago in that same year, I didn't come across self checkout at the grocery stores. So, I'm content with this option rather than standing line.

18. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Glad you asked about self-checkout. I will not use it. There's always a young person trying to herd people to the self-check when the other lines get long, but I wait in line. Those things never work right, they are taking jobs away from people, and I just don't like them. At all. I like cashiers anyway. I greet them, ask how they are doing, wish them a great day, and I much prefer that kind of interaction a tinny voice that keeps telling me to do things I've already done. I hate self-checking. Can you tell?:p

19. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you. I think I can tell that you hate self checkout. :) I understand what you are saying. Self-checkout does take jobs away from people, which is the only setback of stores having them. I like cashiers, but there are some that are incredibly rude which would make me want to go to self-checkout.

20. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. I go to self-checkout when I get the chance too. The only way I won't go is if I have a basket full of stuff. I don't like holding up the line so I don't go to self-checkout when I have a lot of things. Self-checkout lines are a blessing for me.