Stand in line or self checkout

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by milyjohnson • Sep 8, 2014.

1. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    You are right, Lushlala. It can be frustrating when you have problems at self checkout and have to find assistance. This just happened to me the other day. Something went left while I was scanning my items and I needed assistance. By the time the person came over to help me, I was able to fix the problem myself. Since the lines for the cashiers may as well have been to the back of the store, I wanted to go to self checkout. It was much faster because the line was much shorter than the other lines.

2. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    If I have less than 20 items then I would rather scan the groceries myself. However, if I have more than 20 items then I would rather have the cashier scan all of the items. Since, I generally, visit the same Kroger grocery store, I rarely experience a nasty cashier. In fact at Walmart and Kroger, the cashiers are generally pleasant.

3. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    Right now we only have the self serve type cash registers in grocery stores and places like the home depot. If I have the choice I usually use the self serve. Mostly because I refer to pack my own bags whenever possible. The one draw back i find is that if the store has a club card of some kind, it seems they do not want to scan correct on the self service registers. Also at the grocery store I have the worst luck with finding things without the correct codes (vegtables and things like that) Otherwise I have never had a problem.

4. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I would usually stand in line unless the line is really crowded. Although, lately people have been taking their sweet time at the self checkout counters. I think if you wait in line you at least have the benefit of having someone who knows what they are doing speed the line up as more people start to get on it. The thing about self checkout is that people don't really know how to use them still, and this leads to a lot of waiting. More waiting than is necessary.

5. laurelbell85

laurelbell85Member

Threads:
    I judge whether to use self checkout solely on the length of the lines at the register. If the lines are short, I will stand in line, but if the lines are ridiculous...self check out, here I come! Although, I have been some places that the self check out line will be longer than the regular line.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I won't say I never use the self-check option. I have been in a hurry and used them when the regular lines all seemed too long; but, as a rule, I don't approve of the whole self-check idea. I had rather see the positions they hold being filled by real live persons who need jobs.

7. mylindaelliott

mylindaelliottNew Member

Threads:
    Now I sit on a cart when I go into a store. I have difficulty managing the items so it is easier for me to use the line with a cashier. Before I used carts I still preferred the cashier though. I never could quite get the hand of scanning the item. Then I kept having to get someone to help me over and over. My children like the self checkouts though. They find it faster too.

8. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    I generally enjoy socializing with the cashiers at the grocery stores, but sometimes it really just needs to be the self-checkout line for me. I need things to happen quickly, and often times they do not happen quickly with the cashiers, meaning that I am dissatisfied and angry. So, if it's not terribly busy, then I will choose the cashiers. Otherwise, I chose the self-checkout lane.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to use the self-scanner and check out personally. The scanner totals up your groceries as you scan them so it's really easy to stick to your budget. Previously, I was entering all the prices into the calculator on my phone so this really makes shopping easier for me.

10. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I love the self check out in some stores because you can go through the aisles with the scanner and you are able to budget with the groceries. If somethiung is too expensive or you know that it is way more than you expected to pay then you can remove the item and know exactly how much your shopping is going to cost when you check out. It is fantastic to not have to wait in a line for the cashier and simply go to the check out and pay. I love it.

11. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Do they offer 'discounts if you use self-checkout'? (Since you're doing the work some people are PAID to do)

I've used it a few times (`coz it "looked neat" & the

posted 'self checkout' at places that looked like it would be more convenient for shoppers than 'waiting in line etc.') but I always seemed to pay more than usual when I used those (as I constantly buy a few things that cost-by-weight).

12. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I generally prefer using self checkouts because I can be faster the a cashier sometimes and I don't have to worry about making small talk or not hearing the cashier. Also, hey I have social anxiety and it makes me zip through the grocery store like I've just had 7 cups of coffee, cause I wanna be in and out as fast as possible. :oops:

There was once where I had to give up on a self checkout and actually go into a lane with cashier. I went to a self check out register and set down my basket of stuff on the side where baskets are supposed go, clicked "English" and went to scan the first item when the register started going "THERE IS SOMETHING IN THE BAGGING AREA. THERE IS SOMETHING IN THE BAGGING AREA." extremely loudly. (It actually made me jump since the machine was pretty much shouting.) But, there wasn't anything in it's "bagging area" to make it freak out like that? It wasn't my basket, I made sure it wasn't on a scale or the bagging area or anything like that. I tried hitting the "I've brought my own bag button" but it just kept shouting "THERE IS SOMETHING IN THE BAGGING AREA" at me. I went over to a cashier and was like "Dude, the self check out is either broken or possessed." o_O The cashier wasn't even surprised! She was like "Yeah, a lot of people hate our self check out, cause it doesn't work." This happened at Wal-Mart, fyi.

13. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the situation really. If the line for the cashier is a bit long, then I would go to the self checkout. It happened to me once. I wasn't aware that there is a self checkout and I was standing in a very long line with only a few, less than 10 items in my cart. There were only few people in the self checkout and I got curious, so I immediately fall in line. It was my first time to try the self checkout and I really did have some fun discovering how does it work. Fortunately, there were no other people behind me so I had the time of my life exploring and learning how to do it.

14. haitch

haitchNew Member

Threads:
    I personally use self scanners that you get at the front of the store. a lot of people bypass them but they are really quick to use. very rarely do you have to queue for a space and it is a lot more reliable than the self checkout. It's also very easy to keep track on what you're spending as you can see the total on the screen in front of you

15. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    For me it would depend on how much time I have and how much stuff I have to check out.
    The cashier are never really all that nasty to us although we did have a few rude ones at Walmart and some other places. But we have also had nasty cashiers that work the self checkout machine too.

If I am pressed for time and just want to get in and out I will go to self checkout
    Its major fun for me and I have realized I am very good with using it.
    But sometimes self checkout can be more trouble than its worth, like when it starts going haywire and you have to call the person over to assist you.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind the self checkouts at all, and generally prefer them. I'm glad that stores are getting smarter about coming up with ways to keep the checkout lines moving by giving us more options than just standing in line waiting for cashiers to ring us up.

Wal-Mart for example, not only has self-checkouts, but they are in one open space as opposed to individual lanes, so you don't have to stand in line for a single self checkout machine. Whenever someone leaves their self checkout, you simply walk over to it. This thwarts those individuals who like to take forever just because they can - since everyone else can just walk on by them over to another register, much like McDonalds newer double checkout lanes.

I have a feeling sooner or later, they're going to come up with smarter self checkouts that can instantly total up the items in your buggy via RFID tags on all the items or some comparable technology, without you having to scan everything one at a time. Then all you would need to do is bag it and pay instantly with something such as your smartphone - not even use a physical register at all. I'm pretty sure I read that Wal-Mart is testing something like this at certain stores.

17. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I usually prefer self checkout. That was partly due to anxiety issues. Then again, holding up a line made me even more anxious than having to socialize with a cashier. Plus, it is not as embarrassing if you cannot afford another item. You can just place it to the side rather than have to bother the cashier with deleting it on the computer.

18. lessthanthree

lessthanthreeNew Member

Threads:
    I like the self checkout machines, but my husband prefers cashiers. I just don't like making chit chat with people—I have social anxiety and it makes me uncomfortable. Some of them are rude, some of them are lovely, some of them are just nothing out of the ordinary, but the anxiety I get thinking about the small possibility of an uncomfortable interaction just causes me to make a beeline for the self checkout.

19. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE self-checkout, but when it comes to certain things I prefer to make my purchases with a person. I recently had an issue with the machine at the self-checkout that resulted in a problem. Some people want use the machines, but aren't techno savvy and then it takes forever, so it defeats the purpose.

20. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather use self checkout than stand in line. It is quick and painless. I have gotten very good at figuring out how to use it. I only stand in line at the register if I have to purchase alcohol or I know I will need something from a clerk during checkout.