Stand in line or self checkout

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by milyjohnson • Sep 8, 2014.

1. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I HATE using self-service checkouts and will happily stand in long lines to checkout with a cashier. My girlfriend is AWESOME at these self-service checkout machines and we always whizz through when she is with me. When I try them on my own they refuse to acknowledge what I'm scanning, won't take my money and scream "UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA" when there is NOTHING in the area.

2. allenrexler

allenrexlerNew Member

Threads:
    The self service line always seems awkward. They clerks have to watch you, sure. But I can't helped but feel judged for what I a buying! And don't even get me started on buying Alcohol in one of those lines, wow! It's not like standing line is any better, it gets so aggravating! Buying online is superior in a lot of ways, but then you have to wait for your package to arrive which is no fun!

3. Yidna

YidnaNew Member

Threads:
    I've always preferred the self-checkout line, but it seems that every time my parents use it, they run into some sort of problem and it takes a bit of time for someone to come and resolve it.

Self:
    - Less waiting
    - Wait, what's the item code for an apple?

Cashiers:
    - More waiting
    - They know all the codes!

That pretty much sums it up for me, really.

4. Hurin

HurinNew Member

Threads:
    Usually self-checkout. There's usually a shorter queue and I find the concept interesting. Plus I get to see how much all my items cost one by one. It's a good way to make sure I'm not spending unnecessarily. But at some stores the self-checkout is really difficult to use. In those cases I just go to the cashier.

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I kinda wonder, "Why doesn't the store pick ONE method and stick to it?"

6. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer self checkout simply because the line is way shorter in the store near my place. The convenience of having someone scan and bag your items doesn't really compare to the hassle of waiting an extra 20-30 minutes in the line. With self checkout, the lane is practically empty at Safeway near my place. The whole checkout process can take about 10-15 for my regular weekly run.