Standup Comedy Specials

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Aug 12, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I recently just rematches George Carlin's standup comedy special, and although I still enjoy it very much, I just couldn't get as much into it because now that I'm older I just find it more enlightening than funny if you know what I mean. However, still very entertaining, like I said. I would like to get more suggestions on what to watch that would make me laugh out loud instead of just merely being amused.

Which comedians are your favorites, and which of their standup specials would you recommend the most?

Here is a clip of one of George Carlin's specials if you're interested. Warning, it contains explicit language and unpopular opinions.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XPrRxhYJMkQ[/video]

#1Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Awesome thread!!! I'm addicted to stand-up!

Here's a top 10 list:

1 - Bill Burr
    2 - Dave Chappelle
    3 - Joe Rogan
    4 - Richard Pryor
    5 - George Carlin
    6 - Eddie Murphy
    7 - Bill Cosby
    8 - Pablo Francisco
    9 - Kevin James
    10 - Dom Irrera
    11- Don Davidoff
    12 - Chris D'Elia

Bill Burr is definitely my favorite. As for the rest, I won't get into ranking them because I would go crazy...
    I also have to close this reply, because I keep remembering people and I just added a 11th and a 12th.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like a lot of stand-up comedy specials. My favorite stand-up comics are Katt Williams, Kevin Hart, Dave Attell, Dave Chappelle, Whitney Cummings, Kathy Griffin, and back in the 80's (when he was edgy) Eddie Murphy. I like that kind of edgy, R-rated, sometimes raunchy type of comedy.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I love watching Standup Specials. My absolute favorite would be Dave Chappelle. That guy always get me going. "Killing Them Softly" is probably my most favorite special of all time. I also love watching Louis CK, that guy is really great and funny and he has this aura to him. I don't find George Carlin that funny anymore because it seems like it's more of a lecture than a comedy show.

5. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    "Killing them Softly" is also probably my favorite stand-up special, Dave Chappelle is a genius. Netflix is really good for current stand up specials, some of my recent favorites from Netflix are Maria Bamford, Moshe Kasher and the Sklar Brothers. Patton Oswalt is another one of my comedians.

6. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I like Eddie Murphy's Raw. it is very funny and I laugh at the jokes all of the time even after all these years. The show is incredibly timeless. I like Kevin Hart's standup comedies too. They are also very funny.

7. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    I love watching stand up comedians and by far, the best stand up comedians I've watched (and still watch) is GAMARJOBAT. They're a Japanese duo. Check them out online. You'd certainly have a blast watching them!

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Jeff Dunham has also grown on me. He's definitely funny for a ventriloquist. I also forgot to mention Gabriel Iglesias. He's one funny stand up comic. I also like the more odd comics, like Bo Burnham, Demetri Martin, and Flight of the Conchords.