Staplers or paper clips?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by Strykstar • May 9, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you prefer to use paper clips or staplers?
    I try to use paper clips as much as possible because they are reusable, but Staples are so cheap that it's trivial.

2. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to use staples because this way I don't have to worry about my papers getting out of order or falling apart. I use paper clips when I have like two or three pages this way I know what I have and I can keep up with that.

3. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the type of paper I have. If it's high quality (for example business paper or it's for a resume), then I'd use a paper clip so there are no holes in my pages. But if it's something small like a small project I'm doing or some loose papers I need to keep together then I'll just staple them.

4. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the types of papers I'm trying to put together. If it's a reading material, I would prefer to use a stapler to bind them together mainly because it holds them better than paper clips. At least I don't have to deal with papers that are suddenly sliding off.

However, if you are working on thick piles of paper, a paper clip may be better. You can also just have it bound, especially when you don't need to detach them later on.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I use staplers in all cases. I am very careless and I often the paper clip slip from the papers they fasten. In turn, my papers get cluttered. To make sure that my papers are always strongly secured I staple them, though it's not really necessary. In some cases that I need the papers individually detached from one another, I just remove them from being stapled.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to use staplers if I am to attach some papers together and I don't mind them being pierced. But if I don't want to pierce the paper, then I will use paper clips instead to attach them.

7. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    Paper clips are reusable, multi functional (unfolding and making a hook out of it for example), no holes in the paper, & they can keep you entertained by making stuff like paperclip chains, unfolding and making something else. The negative is that papers can easily slip apart.

I am a Staple lover, why? Papers will always stay together no matter how often I drop them. Stapled papers look better on presentations. If you get mad at someone at work, use the stapler as a gun and shoot staples are your enemy.

8. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I used paper clips to put bunch of papers together temporarily just to keep it organize. Plus there are documents that you can just staple together (at least for me) like bank checks, land titles and other important documents. But otherwise I use and prefer staplers. :)

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good point, paper clips are more temporary than staples, because even though you can take staples out, the paper will always be damaged from the holes.
    I think that's a good way to make the distinction of what to use, if it's temporary use a paper clip and if it's more permanent use a stapler.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Honestly?

I pretty much never use either one any more. I try to keep as much as possible as digital instead, so it's very rare for me to actually use printed paper copies of anything. When I do and I have multiple pages that need to stay together, then I tend to go for paper clips.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am definitely a paper clip person. I like to have the opportunity to rearrange my papers when necessary without having to damage them, which tends to happen if I use a stapler. If it is paper that I am not likely to use anymore, such as paid bills, I use a stapler.

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'd prefer to keep everything digital as well, but in an office situation like at my work that just isn't an option, there are always files that need archiving, even if you just print out an email in order to put it in a file never to be looked at again.
    At home it's different, I never use either thing, everything is digital there :) the only paper I might use are post-it notes.

13. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer staples, just because when you staple something it is more secure. However, I do have a small box of paper clips for thick stacks of papers. Sadly staplers only work so well when it comes to thick stacks of papers, and sometimes won't work. So then I use one of my handy dandy paper clips to keep it in place so I don't lose anything important. So, I say I use staplers more, but I like them equally.

14. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I always use staples whenever possible. They are sturdy and are dependable. I actually don't go near paper clips unless I am keeping stapled filed together that require more of a collective hold. If I don't have staples, I just go for tape (if it's a two sheet document), but I make sure I go back and staple it when I find a stapler.

15. misterv520

misterv520New Member

Threads:
    A majority of the time I use staples as they are more effect and plentiful. The only reason I would use paperclips is if it is required or if the papers have to be taken apart and read all at once.

16. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Stapler all the way for me. It is more costly to loose one important paper or page because it slipped away from that over re-used paper clip. Sure, paper clips don't damage the paper, but the people I work with don't seem to mind stapled paper as this is more reliable. I guess it also would depend on your type of work.

17. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    Staples all the way, definitely! Most of the time whenever I want to join pages together, it's meant to be permanent, and there's no better way of doing it in that situation than using staples. They just keep your documents in firm grasp so you don't have to worry about any pages falling out.

I've tried to transition to paper clips because they can be re-used, but I just haven't come across that many situations where I've had to re-use my docs. On top of that, paper clips aren't as 'firm' as staples, so I don't really like to use them in most cases.

18. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Staplers are recommended for a document with more than one page. For instance you are going to pass a report that's 3 pages long. It's better to use a staple wire in this case. However, let's say that you have 3 reports with each report being 3 pages long. What you should do is to staple each report separately then put a paper clip to bundle the 3 reports.

So, it's not necessarily a choice for me because I have functions for staplers and paperclips.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer paperclips just because they're much easier to take off the sheets and much safer as well!! I have made holes on my fingers before with Staples, so not the biggest fan of them.

20. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    I choose staples. Because definitely, my papers are secured and won't fall apart. As you said, they are a lot cheaper than paperclips but I look at it as an advantage. Paper clips are reusable, yes, but I don't know if you have the same experience as mine, that if I give someone papers with paperclips, they do not usually give it back to me. Paper clips are only for temporary use and I only use them if the papers are too important that I don't want staples to put little holes on it. Also, when I know that later on, I will just have to remove the staples because the documents would need to be de-attached..