Starbucks raising their prices today!

Discussion in Food & Drink started by H.C. Heartland • Jun 24, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yesterday on a Detroit News station, it was announced that as of today Starbucks will be raising their prices on drinks. What do you think? Will it still be worth it to buy Starbucks? What is your favorite drink and why? The announcement did not say if this change would be worldwide or nationwide and it did not say which drinks would be affected. I often just buy the smallest black coffee and with that you do not have a high price and you can add creamer or milk to make it larger. In fact, if you purchase a larger size cup then you can have them fill it up with the 'smaller' portion and add cream and sugar to make it a larger drink. You can also add ice and then it can make it a 'large' iced coffee. I do not go to Starbucks often, but when I do it is a real treat. My favorite specialty drink would have to be either the Americano or the Caramel Macchiato. But it has probably been two years since I've purchased one.

2. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen people getting 2-3 shots of espresso in a large cup and then filing the cup with cream to make what I've heard referred to as a "ghetto latte." It's so annoying to the rest of us, because they take all the cream and drive up prices for everybody else.

I like to get a little coffee with plenty of "room" and add some cream and sugar though. It's one thing to indulge in a little cream, but it's another to take two pints of it. Don't do that, okay? :)

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Starbucks has already raised its prices in California. It happened about a couple of months ago. I'm not a coffee drinker. I like the teas. Pretty soon, the tall (small) ice tea will be $2. Even the prices on the pastries have increased.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I saw on the news this morning where they plan to introduce a line of sodas. These are fountain-style sodas that are available in the summer months and will not contain artificial ingredients.

Truthfully, I think SB is okay but they try too hard. Take for instance the coffee cakes(mmm...blueberry) that were popular for years. Out of nowhere, they're gone...and then back for a minute when the last dessert trend didn't work. They should also take a good look at who they are serving as people don't have $5=6 to spend on a skinny "Artisan" sandwich. Yes, it my be natural or "correct", but is it practical? As people are rebounding from the recession, there should be a happy medium.

5. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    I dont understand how people drink the garbage starbucks sells.

We live in a world where people do all that they can to create a problem then complain about it. People love doing anything that is bad for their health and then following it up with "health supplements" that dont work (obviously).

Starbucks is toxic. Companies like that are creating less attractive people. Health is the highest form of intelligence and these companies are destroying this intelligence.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    What does any of this have to do with Starbucks raising their prices? Sorry I had to ask...Starbucks is toxic? Hard to believe considering the company is pretty successful.

With regard to Starbucks raising prices, it will be interesting to see how customers react because some of the prices now are becoming rather absurd. I don't see many people paying upwards of $5/day for a coffee type drink.

7. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I buy Starbucks coffee at the grocery when it's on sale like Caribou, but I'll buy the off brands that are pretty good also. As far as buying a coffee or cappuccino at one of their stores I don't purchase them that way too often so raising their prices a few cents hasn't made much of a difference to my pocketbook, but for those who need their Starbucks or Caribou fix every morning I'm sure a lot of folks aren't exactly thrilled with the price increase!

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Ugh, that's just excessive. I can see getting a larger cup so you can add a little bit of extras or add some ice, etc.

Turning it into an entirely different drink isn't cool, though. That's clearly abusing the system, sigh.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It's inevitable since everything is bound to get more expensive as time goes by, but Starbucks already being fairly expensive to begin with, I admit, is a little daunting. I'm just glad I've stopped buying their products long ago and instead have gone to the many alternatives. I'm not much of a coffee snob anyway and I'd enjoy most anything as long as it's prepared wel, so I don't really mind that much, but I worry if the trend will cause others to follow suit.

10. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I really hope Starbucks in my town will not raise their prices because my husband really loves their coffee. We occasionally go and sit at Starbucks to enjoy coffee together but it would be ashamed if it gets more expensive.

11. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    Uhh, no.

The health benefits of coffee are well known. Coffee is full of antioxidants, and drinking coffee may lower your risk of getting Type II Diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, Parkinson’s, depression -- the list goes on from there.

As for "less attractive people," is that because you think people who go to Starbucks are fat or stupid or both? I'm a little unclear. Either way, you ought to try walking into an actual Starbucks and taking a look at who is inside. My local Starbucks was a gathering place for professional people and "ladies who lunch." Almost everyone was attractive, well dressed, well educated, and well-heeled.

As a company, Starbucks has been recognized as

. Their full-time AND part-time employees get healthcare and can now even get a free college degree while working at Starbucks. They care about ethically sourcing their coffee beans and taking care of the environment as well.

So, as for Starbucks being "everything that's wrong with America," you're very much mistaken. Maybe the company you really meant was McDonald's. ;)

12. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    This is strange because I went into Starbucks yesterday while I was enrolling my niece into college orientation and I told the lady which was the cashier that the prices were extremely high than normal and she stated yes they have went up. I guess this is world wide but it really not a good look.

13. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I am beginning to HATE them. Their coffee is addictive.
    I drink Tim Horton's, Duncan Donuts, and McDonald's. None of them are as creamy and Delicious as Starbucks. Yet, the others cost less than $3.29 depending on what I request. I always request whipped cream because they have a drive-through. Starbucks does not have a drive-through; so, I never get whipped cream. Starbucks generally costs me about $6.00 and I never seem to get that insulated cup holder.

14. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    These posts are awesome! And to add to my original news flash I asked the barista today and he said it was the 'Medium and Large' drinks but the small stayed the same. (that is a quote, I know they are called by different names.) I am so boring, I got a small black coffee. Not too bad - our Starbucks charges about a 1.75. But I love some of the ideas about shots and adding cream to replace specialty drinks. Also, I do agree that coffee is bad for you or at least that it turns your teeth brown but...I LOVE IT!

15. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    And the problems with coffee are well known. Including both not helping people with the very same diseases you're saying it helps, or actively causing them. Also, antioxidants are bogus. Science backs this up. It's a bogus term used by marketing to make you think that what you're drinking is healthy.

In other news; Starbucks raises their prices because they know they can. They've got you by the short and curlies. They've already proved that you're willing to pay for ridiculously overpriced coffee, and will continue to do so no matter what. What are you going to do;brew your own coffee at home and use a travel mug, thus saving a lot of time and money?

#15Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  16. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I have read about Starbucks a lot in the news lately but nothing about raising prices. It will still be worth it in my opinion. I don't go to Starbucks every day or even every week so when I do, I enjoy it and consider it a treat. I also am proud to support a company that supports breastfeeding, sends their employees to school, and always seem to have friendly customer service.

As far as Starbucks, being toxic...quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing it. If you believe everything you read then everything is bad for you. If you want to never ingest anything "bad" then I suggest that you try to survive on only water for the rest of your life. Oh, but wait...make sure it's only bottled water? Or is it tap water that's bad for you? I can't keep up. Everything in moderation, as far as I'm concerned. You drink Starbucks every day plus eat a donut, then yes, you're probably going to gain weight. You drink Starbucks twice a month, eat balanced meals, and stay active? You'll be alright. You can't live in fear of what might happen just because you gave in and had a coffee.