Starter Plants

Discussion in Home & Garden started by thisnthat • May 22, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Most of my (past) gardening experience has been based on planting seeds (too late for that now).

I've done some starter plants before, but it's been a while. I'm not entirely sure what "good" prices are for plants, but I'd like to pick up a few. Is there anyplace in particular that you usually shop for plants? Is there a general price range that is reasonable?

There are lots of different types too. Is one tomato plant really worth a lot more money than another type of one? If so, why?

I need to get some soil too. I guess that's the next thing on my list to shop and compare.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My Mom subscribes to the local newspaper. Lowes and Home Depot is having Memorial Day sales on home and garden. When sales on home and garden goes on you get started plants for real good prices. You just got to have a plan on how to bring them home. A box is nice to have to put your starter plants in to carry nicely till you get home.

3. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I buy plants from local nursery. The decorative plants are high in price, while veggie plants are comparatively cheaper in price. However, we do not need not buy plants always. A few we get from our neighborhood. We exchange plants among ourselves. In that way, the variety gets wider without shelling out money.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I will definitely check out Lowe's and Home Depot. In the city, they have both in close proximity to each other and very close to a Walmart as well. Thanks for the tip @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe. I'll go this weekend. I might go look online and see if I can learn what they have ahead of time.

Wow, @moondebi@moondebi, I love that. My mother used to send me cuttings, which was pretty cool too. Having an exchange like that with friends and neighbors is a really good idea. I know a lot of people who share and exchange once the food starts coming in, but I never thought of doing it with starter plants. I'm going to have to see if anyone else is game.

Even with family, we could do this. Each household could start a certain type of plant (tomato, pepper, etc.) and then we could swap some among each other. Sounds like a plan for next year, for sure. Thanks for sharing.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat :)Yeah, this is what is called good timing. Every holiday there is some kind of sale. Usually some stores spring sales have lots of starter plants on sale. Locally, Times Supermarket only one store at Beretania, has starter plants like a 1.25 for about 3" plant for sale. So depending on where you shop keep an eye out for starter plants for your garden. Locally they have yearly from Hawaiian Electric plants for free too.

A little research for where you live might yield you information of free seed give away, free plants, & etc. Good luck in your garden planting! Have fun too, lol.:)

#5May 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017