Starting Seeds

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Waynefire • Jun 4, 2012.

1. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    As many people know the cost of food has not went down at all. However, it keeps on going up. Since this has been happening people are looking for unique ways to save money. One of the best ways is to start seeds indoors and grow your own food. Then you can have your fruits or veggies until the fall season and not have to be concerned about the cost of the produce during the summer months.

2. Ainjell

AinjellMember

Threads:
    That's a very good idea! My father has a garden in our backyard where we have just about any vegetable you can think of. Our neighbor has a huge mango tree that hangs over into our yard as well so when those get nice and ripe and fall, we collect them and my mother makes fruit and vegetable smoothies for us to enjoy. They are very tasty! Having a garden really does help us save money on the vegetables we love to eat because they are right there in the backyard for free so we don't have to worry about the inflated prices of veggies at the store. I think if more people grew their own fruits and veggies at home one of two possible things could happen: A) the government would put restrictions on what can or can't be grown or B) the stores would lower their prices :)

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    The best way to start seeds is to use an old egg carton and plant them in the spaces. That way you can keep them indoors and safely away from bugs that like to eat newly sprouted seeds. I have tried starting things outdoor and lost so many of them to bug.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I already do this with different kinds of herbs, it's really a great simple way to spruce up your cooking, it's extremely cheap and it really tastes better than the herbs you get from the store since they are picked and immediately used.
    What other kind of things do you guys plant, considering the nonexistence of a backyard? Are any vegetables possible, maybe in a small pot?