Staying Hydrated

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by thisnthat • Oct 14, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    What is your best advice for staying properly hydrated without spending a lot of money? Do you refill your water bottles or use a home filtration system or do you just buy bottled water on sale and whatnot? Can you recommend a good water filtration system or filter pitcher?

If you have any tips, please let me know. I don't really like the tap water we have here, but I want to drink more H20. I also don't want to spend a fortune doing it. I refill gallon jugs sometimes, since it's cheaper, but I would like some other options as well, please.

Do you drink any flavored water?

2. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    We use Kent water purifier for filtering the drinking water. In our locality, we cannot drink water directly from tap as it may cause health hazards. People often buy big bottles of mineral water if they do not have filters at home. But, in most of the houses filters are there, be it a high end or a low cost one.
    However, as for flavored water, I avoid taking it as I do not like the taste. Rather I would sip coconut water which is a healthier option to keep myself hydrated.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the recommendation. Our water isn't considered unsafe, but I really don't think it's very healthy. I can smell the chlorine in it, so it's not exactly appealing when you're thirsty for a nice glass of cold water.

I will have to make some time to research the various products. I'll be sure to check out the Kent system that you mentioned as well.

I think if I can find a good water filter or other product, I'd just make my own flavored water with some fresh fruit. I enjoy lemon in water, but there are lots of other options as well. You can even buy some fresh mint to add to water for a nice refreshing drink that has more flavor than the plain stuff.

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely carry water even when I am travelling because I can always access a restaurant or an eatery and request for some water. Some people also compensate for dehydration through purchase of mineral water from vendors. In some urban settings, some people sell chilled water at low prices.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    In our country, there's always a water refilling station around the corner where we can order purified and alkaline water for a very low price. Tap water aren't safe anymore in our place that's why it is really recommended to just buy water from these refilling stations as they are clean and safer to drink. The only down side of these processed waters is that they don't have the natural minerals anymore that's why it's also called a dead water.

Anyway, if you want to stay hydrated and having a hard time getting enough clean water then you should just eat food rich in alkaline. Some of these are:
    • Watermelon, well this one is rich in Alkaline and it's a thirst quencher in light of the fact that it's 92% water. Not only that, it's also rich in potassium, vitamin A and vitamin C.
    • Lettuce. I heard lettuce consists of 96% water that's what makes it good for hydration.
    • Blueberries, Strawberries and Raspberries.
    There are also non-water drinks that you can have which can keep you hydrated as well. Those includes:
    • Skimmed Milk
    • Fresh Juices
    • Smoothies
    • Coconut Water. One of my favorite substitute for water :)
    I don't usually drink a lot of water especially at night because it will keep me all night going back and forth to the toilet. Well, I've tried most of these and I can say that they totally works. Hope this helps. Cheers! :D

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    We use a water filter and that saves a lot of money but before buying a water filter, we just bought bottled water. In my area, water only costs around 15 cents for a liter and 20 cents for two liters.

Having cold water in the fridge ready to drink motivates me to drink more water since I very much enjoy having a nice cup of refreshing cold water

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There is nothing better than keep drinking water at regular interval. Most of us that live in hot and humid countries drin as much as 3-5 liters of water every day depending on weather condition. Let me suggest you that even if you are not feeling thirsty sitting in air-conditioned room should drink water at least every 2-3 hours because you lose more body fluids there. I keep a few bottles of water at different places which remind me to take a sip or two occasionally.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I use Pureit filter but the end result is not so palatable water. However, it's better than direct tap water which is obviously unsafe.

I drink at least 3 bottles of 1 litre daily and yet feel dehydrated at times especially during harsh summers. Coconut water plus any other fluid and fruits are also a good source of hydration.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have recently changed to Pureit with 6 stage filtering technology from Aquaguard which had only 4 stages. The water tastes different but I think with kind of water we are getting we have no choice. The direct tap water is sure invitation to stones and other water related diseases in our system due to the impurities water contains. I have been drinking 3-5 liters of water regularly for years which is must in our kind of weather conditions.

10. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    All Europeans drink water. If you don't take in water every day, you die. The confusion arises because you're only counting the water that comes in bottles or glasses of water, and ignoring all the water that comes in all the other beverages and foods that people eat. The commonly accepted statements that beverages such as coffee and beer "don't count" because they also contain caffeine or alcohol are simply not true. Most fruits, vegetables, and proteins such as meats and poultry are 80%++ water. Wine is 90% water, beer is 95% water, coffee is 98% water.

11. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I drink a lot of water, usually 3-4 liters during summer and 2-3 liters during winter. When it comes to hydrate my body, I am economical, I don't spend money on bottled water, carbonated drinks or flavored water. When I am outdoors I carry a water bottle. I have a water filter system in my home and I use filtered water.

12. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Since you don't like your tap water and you want a water that is safe or filtered, I would recommend that you are going to buy a water filter unit or a water purified to supply you the drinking water to suit your taste. In our place, for you information, we have a very good, tasty tap water coming directly from the spring. We have no problem to stay hydrated as far as our drinking water is concerned.