Stinky Shoes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Rosyrain • Mar 12, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I read an article that you could take spray deodorant and spray it in your shoes if you have bad shoe odor. It seems reasonable because deodorant eliminates odor between the arm pits. Has anyone tried this before and does it work?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    No I have not but if the deodorant has a strong baking soda base or something absorbent, I could see it working. Not only does baking soda work, but if you can be sure to dry out your shoes well it will help. This is often hard at the ball of the foot where it is narrow. I try to sit my shoes out in the sun and if I am afraid of the color fading then I use a fan. You have to be careful not to shrink them which I have done in the past. It is a risk. But better to risk that then risk having stinky feet! :)

3. Katt

KattNew Member

Threads:
    Actually, deodorants 'hide' a smell, not eliminate it. Woulnd't it be better to use foot spray instead?Also, be careful not to use a product with alcohol in it as it may damage the color of your shoes.

4. PunkinPie

PunkinPieMember

Threads:
    I'm going to be gross and honest. My shoes stink. Especially my flats. I have an obsession with cheap ballet flats and they seem to just encourage the sweaty grossness. ;) I usually end up throwing certain ones away and as long as I got them cheap enough it doesn't hurt as bed. I need to try the spray deodorant as that might save me from having to throw certain pairs away. Shoe shopping is my favorite kind of shopping and I love a good deal, even at the expense of my sweaty feet. :)

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to get stinky feet too, but my daughter is the worst because she wears a lot of her shoes without socks. The only time I really go sockles is if I am in a hurry and just need to put on my shoes for a few minutes, or if it is warm outside and I am wearing sandals. I need to find something that will work. We leave our most worn shoes at the front door, on the inside, and sometimes it is just horrible to walk through that area. At least we can all be honest about our feet smelling ripe!

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I actually have tried deodorant. Doesn't work. Trust me :p
    I'd said you're better off letting your shoes air out for a while, and maybe trying foot spray like Katt said. I don't know what that is though...

There's also this product I used some years ago. It's like an insole, but it has some kind of gel or something, and it keeps your feet a lot cooler.
    t actually worked like a charm, and lasted about a year and a half. That's a lot, since I only have on pair of shoes at any given time. :D

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A good way to reduce the smell of stinky shoes is to sprinkle baking soda in your shoes along with some crumbled up newspaper. That will help to reduce the mositure in the shoes.

8. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I like to soak my ballet flats in vinegar and then let them dry. Works briefly. For sneakers, have you tried the baking soda option? fill a cloth ball with baking soda and stick it in the shoe when it's not being worn. You can also pull the insole up and put baking soda under it. My cousin does not have cats but she keeps a large tub filled with kitty litter just inside her front door. All of her kids (three boys) take their sneakers off and scoop kitty litter into them and store them that way. In the morning, they dump the kitty litter out. It's amazingly effective at drying and deodorizing. She also makes sure they have two pairs of identical shoes so they get at least a full day's break between being worn to dry out completely.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use kitty litter too! I don't have any cats but some of my friends who do swear by this method of "de-stinking"! One gave me a bagful to try out and I've never looked back!

I'm lucky that I only have this issue in summer, when I am going without socks, but it's easily remedied by putting a scoop of litter in each shoe, making sure it's evenly distributed and leaving outside overnight. The extra wear I get out of my shoes by doing this far outweighs the cost of the litter.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of using kitty litter because I already have a cat and purchase the stuff anyway. Do your shoes get all dusty from having the litter in them though? Right now I buy the clay based litter because it clumps good, but maybe I just need to invest in another kind.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't imagine what kind of terrible concoction of odors that would create. Also, I wouldn't want to have that smell in my feet. A simpler solution to smelly shoes and feet is to invest in some better quality shoes that can "breathe". Why not spend a little more on shoes that are made of high quality canvas or leather? Also, make sure the interior of the shoe is made of natural materials.

12. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried this and it doesn't work for me. I think it is because deodorant isn't specifically made for this so that's why it doesn't work. I prefer to buy shoes spray and I know that it doesn't have any other uses other than to make the shoes less smelly so I know that it is hard to set aside my budget for it. Sometimes, washing my shoes with detergent and then air drying it works though.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You do get a little dust but I generally just bang the shoes together to shake it out. A quick wipe with a piece of ever-so-slightly-damp tissue also helps. One friend puts the kitty litter in an old stocking first, then places inside the shoe but I'm never quite so organized as to have old hosiery at hand!

14. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    No, deodorant has never worked for me on shoe odor. I have sprinkled my shoes with baking soda and just let it sit for a few days. Then I shook them out and sprayed them with Febreze. That seemed to work better than anything for me.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can work depending on the material of the shoe. If is a a fabric one, yes, but a leather one is less likely to work. Febreze does help, but airing them is the only thing you can do. Spraying your feet with deodorant before you put your shoes can can also help reduce it. During summer I carry a can around with me and do it throughout the day.

16. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Dealing with smelly shoes was a frequent issue. My husband's shoes smelled all the time. We tried all of the methods mentioned even the charcoal shoe inserts. They worked for a while but because of the thickness of the material his feet/toes rub against the inside of the shoe and was discomforting.

The problem really was the fact that he wore the same shoes every day all day because they were his favorite. What happened? He purchased several pairs that he liked and never stuck to wearing one pair of shoes for more than two days. No more stinky shoes.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you tried using foot powder? This is what I use to combat stinky feet and shoes. I rarely use closed shoes these days as summer's just around the corner and wearing closed shoes will only make me sweat to no end. Trapped sweat causes your feet to stink. Here's a skinny of the products I use (not sure if they're available outside of my country):
    • Milcu:

• Fissan:

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I tried this once in the past and it did work, although most of the effect is just masking the smell instead of getting rid of it. I learned that the best way to go about it is to just put a small bar of laundry soap and that usually works a bit better and since the smell is somewhat neutral it also is more pleasant for me too.

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to have this issue in our household. In fact, I think that everybody does at some point. It it weird though, because the issue always seems to rectify itself? At least it did with me. The younger kids that we have in the house did suffer from 'cheesy foot,' as we like to call it. But it also went away by itself. We did not use any powder or any other products in order to get rid of it.

20. PunkinPie

PunkinPieMember

Threads:
    I am just happy to read that I am not alone in all of this! I would have never thought about kitty litter, but I might try the baking soda first before I go filling my boots with litter. I'm curious about the vinegar option as well but I can only imagine that might just add to the stench rather than fix it.