Stolen Phone App

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by steph84 • Oct 4, 2012.

1. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My friend just lost her phone today and then her brother told her on Facebook that she should have installed this GPS app that shows her the exact location of her phone. I thought that was clever. Why doesn't wireless providers have this type of information for a small fee? It's mind boggling. They could make so much money from this.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I would have thought they did this as well. I did find an interesting comparision of apps and was also surprised at the price differences in some of these apps. Some of them are one time fees and others require a subscriptions. Here's a link to the list:

3. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I do know that certain phones such as iPhones and BlackBerrys actually have such services for free. The makers of the phone actually develop such apps for their users so that in the unfortunate event that they misplace or have their phones stolen, they might still have a chance of finding it again - and I have to emphasize "might". This is because most of such apps work by having the phone sync with GPS satellites or the mobile network on a regular interval to constantly update its current location. This might not work if the phone runs out of network coverage, has data turned off or if the app is not even installed or deleted by the thief. The simpler solution might be just to turn the phone off and I doubt you can still track your phone down even if you have the apps installed though I'm not completely sure about this. This is just my two cents worth, but if by any chance your friend has her phone's IMEI number, make sure to include that information in her police report! That is crucial to identifying her phone since that number is unique to each mobile phone ever produced.

4. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I have been meaning to figure out if I needed an app to find my iPhone. I would have thought the phone company would have preloaded on there or given me the option to buy it. I don't remember them mentioning anything when I bought it. Would have been a good selling point.

5. Jennifernew

JennifernewNew Member

Threads:
    There are many applications available which can help you find missing iPhone or iPad but the most popular and most essential app is

, a free app which you can install on your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, MacBook and it will help you locate your misplaced iPhone wherever it is lost. The find my iPhone app allows you to use another iOS device to find your lost Apple product and find the device on a map!