Store brand or name brand ice cream?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by dconklin • May 17, 2013.

1. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    We usually shop at Stop and Shop which has some pretty good quality store brand products. One thing I have noticed lately is that their ice cream has more flavor then some of the name brand ice cream. We got Waffle Cone ice cream in the Stop and Shop brand and the kids loved it. I liked it but not my favorite - it was good just I prefer other flavors personally. Anyway the following week Breyers was on sale for the same price as the store brand. We tried the Breyers Waffle Cone and none of us liked it that much. It had not much flavor and just kind of blah. I have noticed this a lot lately that the Stop and Shop brand has been better then name brands. I am sure that other stores are similar it is just that we usually only shop at one store.

What do you think, store brand ice cream or name brand?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our local store also carries their own brand, but they don't have their own ice cream brand. So I'd obviously go for those branded ice creams. The cheaper ones don't taste that good though, they're not as creamy as the more expensive variants.

3. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    I am quickly becoming an ice cream snob because I've been making my own lately, but even if I weren't I would have to warn you about Breyer's. Some of their flavors are no longer legally able to be labeled ice cream, they're now "frozen dairy dessert". Here's some more explanation on the changes:

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just pick up anything that's present, I'm not very picky when it comes to ice cream. If I had a choice, though, I'd prefer Haagen Dazs every time. I like that their ice cream is thick without being too heavy and it doesn't feel like too commercial. Also, I think they use very high quality ingredients so I think their brand makes one of the most high quality ice creams around.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I do most of my shopping in Lidl, and my husband actually prefers their own brand vanilla ice cream to Walls. I also love their white chocolate crunch and strawberry lollies, and their waffle cones are to die for. I'm certainly not a brand snob when it comes to ice cream - although I do like Carte D'or. They have some really interesting flavours.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm another rooting for homemade! So good and no mystery ingredients. So I'll just vote no to both :p

7. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe it is just Stop and Shop then because their ice cream has more flavor then many of the other brands. I actually ended up throwing away the rest of a container of Breyers because it didn't have much flavor compared to Stop and Shop brand one. Nobody wanted to eat it and it got funky and crystallized - in my house that is crazy!

8. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    I'm not too picky about brand names when it comes to ice cream. Yes, there are some that do taste better than others, but I would just as soon buy the cheaper brand and save money than to buy an expensive brand. Ice cream doesn't last that long around my house anyway.

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Making your own is the best option. Homemade ice cream is much better quality, it should contain only 4 ingredients - egg, sugar, milk and cream or just milk and sugar.

Making your own is much cheaper than buying the ice cream pumped full of air, artificial vegetable fats and other nasty ingredients.

10. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    The only few ice cream brands I tried were Haagen Daazs, and Edy's, or the ice cream truck ice cream :).

I think I prefer Edy's, since it's less known, and better tasting than Haagen Daazs. I think the ice cream brand is just overrated, and very overpriced. One of the little small buckets costs at least $4 dollars each. I can get something bigger and better tasting ice cream with 4 bucks instead of a small cup of ice cream.

11. jilliansorenson

jilliansorensonNew Member

Threads:
    With ice cream, while I usually buy the store brand, I have found that it can sometimes taste powdery. I really don't know how to explain the taste beyond that. It's not all store brands however, so being frugal, I will continue to buy store brands before I buy name brands. You just can't beat the price savings.

12. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I think all have a certain charm to them, so i ain't that picky about ice creams. Also, ice cream is always good, at least for me!

13. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I usually prefer name brand, but Walmart (great value) has excellent icecream. Some of the flavors are even natural. The selection of flavors is limited, but I think they've pretty much covered the basics. With the exception on Walmart's store brand icecream, I haven't found any other cheap store brand that was good. On the more expensive end of the spectrum I like Whole Foods 365 icecream. It is a bit too pricey and rich (heavy cream) so I don't buy it often.

14. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I like the local stuff. We have a huge ice-cream store which makes stuff fresh with locally available fruits. The flavours are so rich and fresh. It is so yummy and healthier than the branded ones. I prefer the local ones to the branded ones.

15. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to ice cream I just read the ingredients and I don't pay attention to the brand much.
    Usually just reading what the ice cream is made of says a lot more than the brand that carries it.
    Of course some brands put way too much sugar while other un known brands are much healthier. All you need to do is read the labels to make the best decision for yourself.

16. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. At this point, I've been eating Haagen Daz so long I don't remember what other flavors taste like.

17. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    Ice Cream is my favorite dessert and it is even my nephews and nieces best buddy.. I know good ice cream always makes them remain quite and calm, I bribe them with this magical meal ;)

18. mansawalta

mansawaltaMember

Threads:
    Lets be honest here people, the best ice cream out there is definitely Mcdonalds ice cream. I have been around the world and tasted lots and lots of ice cream and i still find myself in awe and in love with the McD's ice cream.

19. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ice cream cannot be considered healthy, even if it made with fresh and natural ingredients. I make homemade ice cream with cream, eggs and sugar, it might be healthier than the ice cream sold at the supermarket made with vegetable fat and artificial ingredients but it's still very unhealthy.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the South we have Publix supermarkets. The Publix store brand of ice cream is actually high quality and comes in some unusual flavors like Peach Cobbler, Key Lime Pie, Pumpkin Pie and Red Velvet Cake so I'm a fan of the Publix ice cream. I stock up when they're 2 for $7.