Stores For Vitamins & Supplements

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by blur92 • Jan 19, 2015.

1. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Oil of oregano is ridiculously expensive. I think it's overpriced. I bought some from GNC one time during the $7 sale which makes me question the quality. If a tiny bottle is supposed to be $20 and meets that value I would not think it'd be on sale for over 50% regularly. For awhile I when I was checking GNC sales daily it seemed to always be around that price. I never went in store but only visited the web site.

I do think some supplements help, but it depends on what kind. I know multivitamins are fairly useless to the majority of people because there are already added nutrients to a lot of what we eat. However, for someone who is, say, vegetarian, then it may be of use.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have lived in four different countries in the last few years, and getting my supplementary vitamin and mineral supply locally would have presented a big challenge to me. So, I buy all my natural dietary supplements online from iherb, a company that I can't praise enough. :)

3. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I also go to Holland and Barrett for items such as cod liver oil capsules and aloe Vera because you can buy them in bigger quantities. I do also get multivitamins in Tesco if they are on offer.
    For some reason I never buy these items from Boots or super drug although I buy some toiletry items in these stores.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have quite a few health issues, and last week, I tried a new product on the first day of my garage sale. That was actually quite risky for me, but it was a joint garage sale, so if things went south, I had backup. I know the products are fairly expensive, because they're being sold by someone I know, but based on that one time, if I had the money, I would buy them, for sure. It was a digestion support product, and wow, even my friend commented that I was totally different than usual. I had energy, and my mood was elevated. They also sell an energy enhancer, and who knows what i'd have been like if i'd have taken the two at the same time. I actually felt tingling throughout my body, which leads me to believe I have even more issues than I was already aware of, and I have a feeling one is a substantial magnesium deficiency. So, although I know there are a lot of junk supplements on the market, the one I tried definitely worked. If only I had all the money I've wasted on the crap vitamins and other dietary products I've bought in my lifetime, I could probably afford to buy these supplements.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

yes, i'm like that too, Jannnnjan...for some reason I never get mine from Boots, in as much as I love Boots I just have it in my head it's likely to be more expensive LOL Besides, Holland and Barrett has a wider selection and experts on hand to answer any questions you may have. Sometimes I buy generic ones from Sainsburys, too.

6. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Hmm... I tend to go to regular markets or supermarkets for my vitamin and supplement means. The main ones are Walgreens, CVS, and Frys. I usually buy multivitamins, vitamin D, and calcium tablets every month while grocery shipping. I would visit some smaller chains, but they tend to be too far and the relative benefits are outweighed by the increased transportation costs. There are some places where I wouldn't go to purchase these, such as Walmart. Though, that's due to my worry that the store replaced the supplements with cheaper and more dangerous substitutes to reduce prices.

7. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I just ordered some melatonin, and am preparing to order some seratonin, from a company named Puritan's pride. I haven't received them yet, but I should here in the next day or two. I can tell you the price is very agreeable. I got the melatonin on a buy 1 get 2 free deal. That combined with free shipping? Lets just say, even it doesn't work that's ok... I haven't lost hardly any money.

8. missfortune81

missfortune81Member

Threads:
    I love Whole Foods, but their vitamins can be quite costly. I usually like to get my vitamins, supplements from Vitacost. I also get my haircolor from that site. I use Naturtint brand and it is usually around $17 at Whole Foods, but Vitacost usually offers it on sale for much cheaper.

9. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I like to buy mine from Wal-Mart. I find if you go to the specialty stores that they charge a lot more than you would pay anywhere else. I know they had a wider selection so you might not always find what you are looking for at Wal-mart or other stores but if you are looking to buy something that can be purchased anywhere its almost guaranteed to be a lot more expensive at the specialty store.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never used to buy vitamins and supplements at Kroger because they seemed more expensive than other stores such as WalMart, but then I got a coupon from my insurance company that was good at various stores, and one of them was Kroger, which I was heading to for groceries. While I was picking up that bottle, I saw that like many drug stores (such as CVS, Walgreens and the like), Kroger offers specials on their vitamins and supplements, so if you can catch them when they are on special, you can get some good deals. They're usually buy one get one free, and the specials usually last for a month or more.

11. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    I buy vitamins from various stores like Walmart, Walgreens, and the Vitamin Shoppe. I do like purchasing them from Vitamin Shoppe more because they have a bigger variety on different vitamins and they carry some things that I can't find in other stores.

12. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to shop around for vitamins as they can get quite pricey. I always try to use a coupon first at a drug store, whether it's a few dollars off or buy 1 get 1 free. If there aren't any great promotions running I'll check a whole saler like Costco. They usually have a pretty low price per unit.

I'll also check Amazon. They offer a whole bunch of different brands and different price points.

13. Corald

CoraldMember

Threads:
    I personally like Vitamin Shoppe. My experience with them has been positive. When I was searching for a specialty item some time ago they were the cheapest online. When we went in store the sales assistant was pleasant an helpful and let us know that the product was even less in store. He was helpful in giving more suggestions without being pushy.

14. tiffaninichole

tiffaninicholeMember

Threads:
    Amazon, all day. I love Amazon. I would LIVE in the Amazon website if I could. LOL. The prices most often can't be beat and I can just buy the vitamins I want without having to put on pants. :p Sometimes I go to the local health food store, but more often than not, if something needs to be bought, I'm buying it on Amazon.

I used to frequent iHerb. That's a fantastic store, but I'm so used to the super fast 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime, that I can't settle for anything less.

15. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I agree that Amazon is one of the places. They offer so many different brands that you aren't limited. You can also read about the products and customer reviews which I really like.
    I also have the two day shipping that you can't beat. However, in general unless I have a coupon at a drug store I think Amazon has the best prices.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually look at Amazon first when I am buying most things. They have such a wide variety of most things including vitamins and supplements that they are the place that I can look forward to when I need to buy something as I know that they will have the largest selection and probably the best prices. I will go to other stores though if I have special coupons. Costco is also a great place to look for these things if they carrry them, and you have a membership. I find some excellent deals there.

17. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Just like the rest of you I go to CVS and Walgreens for they got their sales like buy 1 get one free or 50% off too! Swanson is a good place to buy vitamins. Quality is good and they got sales like this past cyber Monday sale we saved a lot. The thing with vitamins and herbs is the expiration date and the strength of the particular vitamin you buy. I find prices at Walmart is cheaper for per 'se Ocuvite eye vitamins. Everywhere else I checked was between $17-$18. Walmart was $12.61 a good savings!

Walgreens has a charity help for people too where you buy one and they'll donate one to needy countries with their vitamins and shots too!

18. bargainbabe

bargainbabeActive Member

Threads:
    Good thread. Of course everyone has heard of Vitacost.com . I think it's a good choice especially if you aren't looking for name brand and if you don't mind getting the vitacost brand. They always do BOGO on their brands and it is a good way to stock up. And I would also recommend googling "Vitacost coupon" to get the latest sale (they always have holiday sales) or registering for an account. They usually give you a coupon based on your previous purchase. And one more thing - if you have a lot of friends on, say facebook, you can use their referral program to earn $10 per referral. It's a decent program. If you know you are going to be spending a little anyway, you can stock up using BOGO and then get the free 3-day shipping if you spend around $50. One thing I DON'T recommend about Vitacost is ordering food. They sell granola bars, etc. I think they leave things in the warehouse and it gets hard, almost inedible. But everything else is cool.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Drugstore.com. Their threshold for free shipping is lower at $35, and you can get the vitamins and health stuff, plus cosmetics. And they have a joint cart agreement with Beauty.com, so you can add stuff from both stores to the cart, but you only have to check out at Drugstore.com. And it counts toward the free shipping too. Definitely can save you from a trip to CVS.