Stores Open 24 Hours This Time of Year

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by MakingCents • Dec 20, 2013.

1. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Do you guys have stores in your area that are open 24 hours a day this time of year?

I was in Kohls yesterday and they made an announcement that from the 15th of December through Christmas they will be open for 24 hours every day.

This means they never close. I just wonder how many people are out shopping at like 4:00 in the morning? If you work nght shifts you are at work at that time, and if you work day shifts you are asleep at that time.

But my husband works in retail so he says that they must make enough money during those 'normally closed' hours to make it worth paying the employees to be there.

So now it has me thinking, I'm sick of all the shopping crowds, maybe I should head out at something like 2:00 this morning to get the rest of my shopping done. No lines!

2. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    We have our Super Walmart that staying open 24 hr. even thought they have many shift their cashiers look worn out. But they are staying open 24 hrs. I went to pick my husband up from work around 3 am and the stores were full but not as full as they normally be through the day. I think it great they staying open cause their making good money. And I constantly see trucks unloading rapidly there.

3. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    In the rural area where I live, Wal-Mart is the only store that is staying open 24 hours as far as I know. I haven't heard of any others. I work until 10 p.m., so late night shopping is good for me. The lines are a lot shorter, and I can shop without my children while they are still at the babysitter's!

4. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I figure they must be making good money to make it worth staying open all night.

Most walmart's around here are open 24 hours year round. But we have lots of stores doing the 24 hour thing only for the month of December.

I remember taking advantage of it a few years ago. We were going on a cruise and I realized I still needed a nice shirt. It was the day before we were going at 11 at night. I was fortunate to be able to go out to Kohls and get that very shirt!

5. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    No stores other than the usual ones are open 24 hours straight this time of year. Just the usual ones such as Walmart, Meijer, and Martins, which are always open 24 hours.

That is a good idea for you to go later, though. There will be less people and you will be able to get what you need before Christmas.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I'll be honest, as much as I hate that consumerism has driven us to this, it makes sense to me.

I rarely shop at walmart, but as a stay at home mom, often the best time for me to be out and about is right after dropping my kids off at school. I can tell you right now, the 8am hour is an awesome time to be grocery shopping or walmart shopping. There are a ton of employees walking around stocking shelves, things are fully stocked, and though only one line is usually open, there's no one there. I love it. And it is quiet, and people are just starting their shifts, so they're normally still in good moods.

I love it.

7. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    The Walmart and the Kohl's here are doing the 24 hour thing too. I think it is great to break up not only the traffic on the roads but in the aisles. I think it might be an adventure to go early am shopping. Go for it and let us know how you liked it.

8. okteve

okteveNew Member

Threads:
    Holy cow, I never knew stores did that! If so, that'd be brilliant and great for me for last minute gift-shopping in a rush next year. Particularly if the stores are pretty barren! (gotta love being a nightcrawler sometimes, you know?)

Great post, will definitely have to look into this where I live & hope it's the same next year. Much less stress and racing to great items, haha.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had a couple of jobs in the past where I got out of work at 2AM so I think it's great that some retailers are staying open for people who normally wouldn't have time to shop. Toys R Us was one of the retailers in the US who stayed open 24 hours and that probably helped a lot of kids have a good Christmas.