Stores Pushing Christmas Before Halloween

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by olorien • Sep 24, 2012.

1. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    Yesterday was the first day of Fall. Hurray!!!! But what I've been seeing in some stores puts a damper on it. This past week technically, it was still summer. Yet, lo and behold, decorated Christmas trees reaching the ceiling were parked mere yards from the Halloween candy. I know this isn't new, but it still bugs me. I love Christmas, but I wish the stores would at least wait till the end of October.

2. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    I agree. I like getting excited about Christmas time, but when stores start so early, by the time it is actually Christmas, that excited feeling is long gone. It makes the holiday season seemed more drawn out.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Here in Spain, you don't really see the Christmas displays until the beginning of December. The focus of the holiday is more on the religious aspects, and spending time with the family. It means that everyone really enjoys it, as they haven't had Christmas pushed down their throats for three months. We've certainly appreciated it more since we've been here.

4. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Probably because there are more sales for Christmas than there can ever be for Halloween, and they want to leave no stone unturned, hence start early. It is still very early and quite a dampener for shoppers. It makes it all seem like one big ploy only for commercial purposes, and the full import of the festival is lost somewhere, until much closer the time!

5. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I saw my first Christmas tree yesterday in my local computer shop - I couldn't believe it! I mean, I am actually a big lover of all the festivities of Christmas - even the run-around-like-an-idiot last minute shopping but I think when the buildup starts too early - by the time Christmas actually arrives everyone is bored stiff and just wants it over with!!!

6. Brook

BrookMember

Threads:
    I haven't noticed any Christmas decorations as of yet. However, there are several Halloween super stores popping up in stores that have closed. There was a chain restaurant that went out of business last year and yesterday I noticed that it is opened temporarily as a Halloween super store.

7. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    I hate these stores. They are so desperate to sell anything. I never buy from them. I consider one week before Christmas to be a decent time to start any Christmas promotions and offers.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I started seeing Christmas trees at Walmart about 2 weeks ago. They're right next to the back to school items. Something seems wrong about seeing inflatable Santa Claus lawn decorations next to the back to school notebooks and backpacks.

9. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I think I should move to Spain. It would be nice to have a fall season and not go directly from back to school to Christmas. We have so many goofy laws I always thought there should be one requiring no Christmas decorations until December 1st or November 1st at the very least.

10. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    Oh no, It's that time again! Christmas is alright, but lord the celebrations drive me nuts before the day ever gets here. The stores and if you happen to turn on radio in the car, forget it. :D Plus the crowding of the stores is terrible.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    You're right that it's not a new thing they're doing, but it annoys me just as much as it does you. I know Christmas is coming and all, but there are other important holidays before then, too. Halloween may not be important to everyone, but what about Thanksgiving? It's still coming, too!

12. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    Yeah I wish they waited a LITTLE bit longer but it's not a major deal I guess. I mean, I love Christmas and the vibe about it so I can't get MAD at it, I just think it's silly to push it all THAT early instead of at least waiting a month. Then again, Christmas is a major holiday so eh, what can ya do.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to work in the China and Crystal department of a major department store. We received the Christmas stuff as early as June. We didn't put out the Christmas stuff until after Halloween even though it took a lot of storage space. People would still complain about the Christmas being out so early.

Each year it does seem that the stores are putting Christmas stuff out earlier and earlier. I wonder how much of put stuff out is a matter of freeing up storage space. Believe it or not, there are people who will buy Christmas stuff as early as July. We used to get requests for Christmas dinnerware. They thought that it had to be ordered, but we just pulled it off the stockroom shelves.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind them putting the Christmas stuff out a little early, but mid September seems kind of extreme.
    They could at least wait until October 1. My kid just started school a month ago and already there are fully decorated Christmas trees at Walmart. My daughter thinks that since Walmart holiday layaway started this month, the Christmas stuff is put out to appeal to the people that are doing their holiday layaway now.

15. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I can't believe that I went to the Dollar General back in JUly and they were getting ready for Halloween. Thats just crazy. But they always seem to push the holidays early. Anything they can do to make an extra buck. lol.

16. malia22

malia22Member

Threads:
    christmas is my favorite so it doesn't bother me that much but it is a little annoying that each year they bring out the stuff earlier and earlier.

17. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    In our area, the big chain stores have yet to put out the Christmas decorations. Right now, the focus seems to be on fall and Halloween, which is a little irritating as well because the stores are just bombarded with decorations everywhere. It all makes me quite anxious and overwhelmed. We will see what the stores have to display after Halloween...

18. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I really think you're complaining about nothing. Don't want to buy Christmas stuff in September? Then don't buy Christmas stuff in September. Simple. Don't want to see Christmas stuff in stores in September? Don't go into stores that sell Christmas stuff in September. Again, simple.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not that simple. People are more complex than that. Do you know that to people who are broke and struggling, Christmas is a burden? Do you know that those trees and decorations are a symbol to some people of the debt and stress they're going to go through in a couple of months because of the obligation and duty they feel to provide "the best Christmas ever" for their families, even though they can't afford it?

Seeing those fully decorated trees in the middle of September makes some people feel pressured and dread what's up ahead, the lines, the Black Friday crowds, the stress, those tacky holiday commercials, the debt.

So you shouldn't minimize it to "Don't look at the Christmas trees." People have deeper thoughts than that.

20. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It gets earlier every year because the stores make most of their money during the holiday season. They simply are trying to extend the season to make even more money. For years, we have been trying to simplify the holiday season, enjoy the time with friends and family, and try to remember what these holidays are really all about.