Stores Spying On Their Customers

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Denis Hard • Dec 27, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While we all understand why stores must have security cameras virtually everywhere, what most shoppers probably didn't know is that they go a step further.

Read the whole article and soon you may start thinking of doing all your shopping online to avoid being spied on. But even on the net, they've got cookies . . . [apparently the time when people's privacy was respected is long gone].

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's really creepy and it almost tempts me to do all my shopping at flea markets and rummage sales. It's disgusting that the mannequins are watching the customers with pinhole cameras. It seems unethical.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not surprising or disconcerting, but only because these practices have been going on for years. By studying their customers, stores can figure out how best to target to specific groups of customers and get them to spend more money. It's a little bit of invasion of privacy combined with sexism, racism, and ageism, plus advanced marketing. Sure, it's unethical and a little annoying, but it's not illegal, although we'd like to see such practices done away with. Good luck with that (to us).

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why is this new news to people?? Lol. They have been developing facial recognition software for a long time now, and Facebook were in cahoots with helping this software to advance. All of those selfies and photos that people post have been used to implement this system. This is creepy as hell, sure. But no more creepy than the government poising the water supply and killing people, before pointing the finger and causing racial divide.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I say if people are so concerned with things and stuff and bigger and better and more more more, then so be it. This is the price you pay in a society that thrives off ignorance and the need to appear a certain way and obtain a certain status. They can spy on me all they want, they can't trick me into spending more.. I don't care about their stuff lol. I'm only ever in a store because I need something specific and probably can't get it online for some reason. No hocus pocus or spying on any aspect of my life will change my spending habits. The only change that affects me is inflation and there is no trick there, or escape. I'll smile for the cameras next time.. I'm used to the true gods by now.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's no surprise at all. I have worked in retail and they use the tapes to train staff to spot shoplifters and also to see where shoppers go to first when they enter a store. What they are doing is not illegal, many people do really silly things and always assume someone is watching you in a store or mall. It is illegal to show them outside the confines of store use.

The days of privacy are long gone, unless you are in a remote part of the world like Nepal! Even if you shop in markets, there are CCTV cameras in the street that watch everyone, more to prevent muggings and shoplifters.

7. downsouth

downsouthMember

Threads:
    I did not know this. I always thought any spying done was for the sole purpose of catching shop lifters. Not really concerned with the invasion of privacy. I am buying items in a public place so I could care less. Even if I were buying some nudie magazines or something the cashier is going to see it anyway. Lmao.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    First, shoplifting costs businesses mountains and mountains of money annually, so "spying" on customers is nothing new. There was a huge controversy back in the late 70s or early 80s over "security" watching people through fitting room mirrors that customers did not realize were two-way. Later businesses started posting signs to say they were watching. As for compiling demographic information on who frequents or buys what in the store, that information was also already being collected every time a debit or credit card was used. There is no such thing as privacy once you step outside your home.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever I enter a store, I immediately feel scrutinized. I often wondered whether it's the surveillance cameras alone, or whether there is another element involved. I simply don't like spending much time in shopping centers. I don't know if I am paranoid, but I even feel watched in the shopping mall toilets. I often feel a "presence" around me, and can't quite put my finger on where those cameras might be hidden. But I feel that they are definitely there.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So it seems like they only spy on department stores. They don't seem to care for the supermarket purchases. Well, I'm not surprised with this news at all, because 1 day we will all gonna be spied on more intrusively and menacingly. The retail stores are just 1 step closer to the government's goal.

11. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but even online your information is being spied on. Many online stores and sites you go to install cookies on your computer, these cookies play a part in the ads that you see on other sites, hoping you will buy a particular product. It tracks purchases, and suggests similar things you may like based on statistics of other shoppers that bought the same items.

Even the shoppers club cards you get for discounts track your spending habits. the store has a wealth of information on shoppers in general. Ever notice how go along items are always on sale at the same time? It is like a science, right down to the way a product is placed on a shelf. I don't think there is much use trying to escape this type of prying, it seems to be here to stay.

12. laurelbell85

laurelbell85Member

Threads:
    This makes me feel really uneasy! I mean, I go shopping with my 5 year old! I am so happy I did all my Christmas shopping online. Yes, there are cookies, however, I delete all of those cookies once I leave my computer. What happened to being able to go shopping online or even in store and not being spied on. Where is my privacy as a human being? Like, this just does not seem ethical. I have even heard of some stores putting cameras inside the bathroom mirrors and in dressing rooms! Not cool!

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Annoying, yes. Invasive, yes. But like a few other people have stated, it's not news and and it's not illegal; wherever we are and whatever we're doing, "big brother" always watching. -and with the advancement of modern technology, I'm afraid it'll only get worse. When we go on the internet and give our details, or even when we're just browsing, we're inviting in all manner of invasive practices that unfortunately we can't stop. Everybody's at it. I was even shocked to hear through some documentary a few years ago that the government even sells people's details!!!

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Even decades ago, when stores started issuing those rewards program cards, the sole purpose of them was to track everyone's shopping habits. You were being tracked back then as well. I've heard about some shady things they are doing these days though, with placing spy cameras inside of mannequins, to tracking your every move all around the store, and other stuff. It doesn't surprise me at all. Simply walking around with a smartphone on you already allows them to track the crap out of you as is.

Thankfully though, there is only so much they can do in store to "profile" you. It's not like they are going to re-arrange the layout of the store and their products because they detect you're on your way to their store, or go around and change all the prices because they see you coming in.

The sad thing is though, one of my friends is a big time kleptomaniac, and he is constantly stealing things from stores left and right. One of these days he's going to get nailed doing it and they aren't going to have a hard time finding him at all because he's got his cell phone with him at all times. I guess all you could really do, would be to turn your cell phone off completely if you didn't want to be tracked while in a store.

15. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think the stores I shop at would be doing that, at least I would hope not. When people find out a out this it is really going to hurt sales because no one is going to want to shop at these places. Respect is a huge issue for me and lots of other people I know. Disrespect me and I won't be back.

16. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Big Brother is watching you! Although I never knew stores did things like this, I can't say I'm surprised. Stores collect as much information on us as they can, from the items we buy to the way we behave in there. Yes, it is an invasion of privacy, but what can we do? At least in the UK, cameras (hidden or not) are not allowed in changing rooms and toilets.

17. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    People are way too over-the-top! I remember when I went into a store a couple of summers ago, the employee was literally watching me like a hawk. I would NEVER steal anything, I have too much of a conscience, but I think she kept following me because I had a big bag. I regret even buying anything there, I shouldn't have even conducted business! I know they are trained to watch out for these things, but sometimes they cross the line.

18. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    It's not surprising to me. With all of the theft and illegal activity that takes place these days, companies have to be more cautious and have to watch over their investments more closely. It's a sad statement on where society is, but it's not surprising to me at all. I can't say I blame companies for taking as many precautions as possible.

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess businesses are now very concerned with the profile of their customers so maybe that is the essence of their spy cameras that lead to profiling. Frankly speaking, I don't see anything wrong with that in my eyes as a customer because that would maybe help the business give the customers a better treatment. Like me, for instance, who is a conservative when it comes to supermarkets, I always check for discounted items. Being spied upon, the store would know that some customers prefer the promos that they hold in their store.

20. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I guess I cannot really be too surprised with the whole online aspect, because I remember search once for the price of a BMW for something related to a school project, and all of the sudden I was getting all these BMW and car ads and I knew that something was up. The whole cookies thing and all of that is just opening yourself up to giving away some information.