Storing Beauty Products In The Fridge

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by gata montes • Jul 28, 2015.

1. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Doing this is not only a great way of extending the life of your beauty products - but also an excellent way of saving money too and although its not recommended that you store oil based moisturizers and lipsticks this way - as both tend to separate.

If this is something that you are not already doing - storing any of the following in the fridge

Eye creams or gels - which apart from preventing them from going off - when applied cold - have an increased ability to reduce swelling and puffiness

Lip and Eye pencils - last longer and are easier to sharpen and use

Natural products - that don't contain preservatives should always be kept in the fridge - as it prevents them going off prematurely - meaning prior to their expiry date

Nail polish and liquid eye liner - are always best kept this way - especially as - because the cold preserves the life of both and stops them from clumping - meaning that they remain fluid - you'll never have that problem of unusable sticky, lumpy nail polish or eyeliner again - making them more economical too - as you can generally use all of the product - right down to the bottom of the bottle - before having to replace it

not only makes your products easier to use - but as the cold helps the consistency to remain the same - enabling you to use more of the product therefore making your products last longer - you'll very quickly start to notice the significant savings that can be achieved - just by doing something as simple as this.

I would however just add - that as some beauty products do have expiry dates - regardless of whether they are stored in the fridge or not - those dates should not be ignored - therefore if they have reached their expiry date - they should be discarded.

2. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    This is an interesting post. I never thought of storing my make up supplies in the fridge before but after reading this article it makes perfect sense to do so. Thank you for posting this. I will definitely be keeping my make up in the fridge from now on. I can just imagine the look on my fiancee's face now when he opens the fridge and see all my nail polished lined up!! lol

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Nice idea , but I can guarantee I will totally forget to use them if they are not in he bathroom with me. I think my skin would suffer more from my constantly letting it get dried out because I forgot for hours to put in face cream.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I do this with some of my products. It’s partly to extend their life, but mostly because the warm climate where I live means some of my makeup is prone to melting. And I have to say, the cool sensation on my face when I apply the makeup is refreshing!

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that the fridge is the best place to keep nail polishes. My tip is to keep them inside a plastic box with an airtight lid so the fridge doesn't start to smell of lacquer.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Good point and one I had forgotten to mention - so many thanks for that - as yes it is an extremely good idea to keep not just your nail polish in a plastic container - but all the beauty products that you store in the fridge -as apart from keeping them all in one place and upright - it avoids any crossover of smells or spillage.

I also realize I forgot to mention - although not exactly a beauty product - is that bite cream is best kept in the fridge too - particularly as - when applied cool it helps to relieve itchiness faster.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Great post, gata montes. I too already store my Vitamin C serum, acid peel and eyeliners in the fridge. I have never thought to put eye creams and nail polish in there too, so thanks a lot for those pointers. I'll be sure to try them :) I wonder if this applies to mascara too?

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you and yes it does apply to mascara too.

Which as this was something else that I also forgot to mention :D I would just add - that for the beneficial reasons mentioned in my initial post - apart from powdery or oil based products - almost any product that is applied around the eye area - is best kept in the fridge :)

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also store a lot of my beauty products in the fridge. I tend to make a lot them by myself, which means that they don't contain any preservatives and therefore would spoil easily if I left them at room temperature in my bathroom. I live in the tropics where things left in the open tend to deteriorate quickly. Besides, it feels wonderful to apply a cool face cream on a hot day. :)

10. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly use oils in my beauty regimen so I cannot put them in the fridge. I did see my MIL put her beauty creams in their fridge. Her whitening cream and sunblock are in the fridge. I do not know if it is okay to store sunblock in the fridge though. Creams I think are okay and it will actually feel refreshing when you put them in your skin.

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    So long as they are not oil based - yes it is perfectly okay to store sun-care products in the fridge - in fact apart the obvious benefit of the refreshing cooling effect when applied in hot weather - it makes them way easier to apply too.

I would also just add - other products that also don't quite fall into the beauty product category - which also benefit from being stored in the fridge - are acne products and medicated lip balms

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks, gata montes :) This could be the solution to my mascara getting clumpy too quick! I think it doesn't help matters that I live in such a hot country. Not even storing my stuff in a cool, dark cupboard seems to help, which is highly annoying when you've spent so much money on these things. I also like the idea of having them all in a container.

13. Briannagodess

Threads:
    I guess that makes sense that even suncare products can be stored in the fridge. My sister does have a lotion though that has peppermint in it and applying it has this cooling effect. I imagine that sensation being doubled when the lotion is put in the fridge lol.

I do have a lip balm and I think I will start putting it on the fridge. That will probably help in cooling me off during hot days.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me if this is out of topic, I just remembered the news last week. In a boarding house for women, one kept a silver cleaner liquid in the fridge. The cleaning liquid was in a plastic bottle, actually a used bottle of drinking water. One of the boarder drank the liquid which was poison. She died before reaching the hospital. The news report said that never put in the fridge anything that is not edible. So that includes makeup items, hahahaaa.

15. Briannagodess

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens
    Oh my! That is really scary! Is the woman who put the silver cleaner in fridge held liable? Will they press any charges on her? She should have put a label in that bottle. I pity the poor woman who died because of her carelessness.

16. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:

Although somewhat off topic - I do have to agree that this very extreme example does highlight the importance of labeling anything that doesn't have a product label on it - as well as the importance of storing household cleaners or other highly poisonous chemicals in a safe place - well out of reach of anyone who might mistake them for edibles.

However as you mentioned - as we are discussing storing beauty products in the fridge and not household cleaners - the latter of which is not advisable under any circumstances - there really is no reason that this isolated and extreme case should stop people from storing their medications or beauty products in the fridge.

Particularly as - apart from being the healthier option for those that live in hot climates and the fact that most beauty products and medications are generally very clearly labelled as such - I think it would be safe to say that the majority of people have enough common-sense to realize that its not advisable to eat beauty products - even though some often smell delectable - apart from which - I can't imagine that many would find - munching eye/lip pencils with a side dip of moisturizer topped with a dollop of eye liner all washed down with a slurp of nail polish - a delectable feast :D

17. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Hahaha, reminds me of middle school when I had a lip gloss that smelled like a mocha cupcake. Wonderful scent, but the color was too brown for me so a friend of mine decided to give it a taste… it definitely did not taste like a mocha cupcake. I can only imagine how much worse the other stuff would be :D

18. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    I used to put my MAC lipsticks in the fridge because it would be too hot in my makeup bag. The ones that I didn't often use would end up melting a little bit in my bags and it was such a nightmare to fix them because they would end up snapping in half. I really recommend putting lipsticks in the fridge so they don't break and you end up wasting money.

19. Evie Sterne

Evie SterneNew Member

Threads:
    It is not a good idea that freezes the beauty products, some products have clearly mentioned that do not store it in a cool place or dry place. If you store them in a cool place it may decrease the life of products and harmful for your health. So, I believe we should read precautions first while storing beauty products in the fridge and If there is no any precautions mention then we can keep it anywhere.

20. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:

To be fair - there appears to be some confusion here - as although I would agree that freezing beauty products would not be a good idea and that it is always advisable to read the storage information on the packaging - as the majority of fridges run at a temperature that keeps the contents cool without freezing - the risk of beauty products stored in the fridge being frozen is highly unlikely.

You do however have me a little baffled - especially as most of the beauty product labels that I have read - say quite the opposite - as they generally always recommend storing either in a cool dark dry place or the refrigerator and particularly the latter for the products mentioned above.

Oh and just out of curiosity - as I feel sure that no one would want to use anything that would be detrimental to their health - what products are using that need to be stored in a warm or moist warm place - rather than a cool or cool dark dry place ?