Storing Shoes Properly

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Alexandoy • Dec 21, 2016.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    An uncle of mine taught us on how to properly store shoes and slippers so the texture and the look would remain especially when the shoes is new. It should be inside a plastic bag and better if sealed so the leather will not be affected by the elements. My uncle said that the shoes will still look new even after 5 years in the storage. I have 3 pairs of shoes now and I seldom use the 2 so they become spare shoes which I keep in our stock room, inside a plastic bag.

2. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good tip to follow.

Most of us have more then one pair where some are occasionally used. It is often noticed that the shoes which are not in use turn whitish due to bacterial attack or chemical reaction. Sealing the shoes in a plastic bag might prevent them to come in contact with unwanted substances. I'm going to follow!:)

3. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I also pack my shoes on plastic bags. This is the best way to store shoes. First off all, your shoes when kept inside plastic bags will not collect dusts. You can also keep moth balls inside your shoes to deter leather eating creatures. When storing shoes, it should be cleaned first.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I for once was always in dilemma on storage of shoes issue. Since I own many pairs of shoes most of them end up gathering dust. Now that you have shared a brilliant tip I must give it a go.

However, don't plastic kind of become humid from inside and collect water droplets in hot climate?

Is there another way storing shoes in hotter climate?

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    That is correct. Filipinos are very resourceful when it comes to keep things for long. Those pair of shoes are always packed with plastic if they're not in use to preserve them. Since we don't have closet or storage for that, we put them on top of our cabinet or cupboard. Let them stay there until they could be used again.

6. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not aware that putting shoes in plastic bags can preserve them especially it's leather. Well I think I'll start doing this since most of my shoes gets easily worn out, even though I don't use them often. Before, I tried putting them in their box if I don't use them, but they still get weary even if not used. Thanks for sharing this tip by the way! :D

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    How about keeping the shoes in the shoe rack, this was my initial thought as the best place ton store shoes. Now I learn about putting in a plastic bag and how it can help preserve them. I am going to see how this works out for me.

8. Sandy Mayfield

Sandy MayfieldMember

Threads:
    Great tip I never knew that! I just store mine in my closet on a wire rack.

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    If you came to me with this designed as the way to save some money, I would probably be so much more likely to take the time to do it. I think that might have been the issue, everything was always so it could be clean, no real motivation there for me.

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for this useful tip, now I know why our shoes don't last too long as the humidity here damages them. I only store them in a closet space but never thought of using a plastic bag only boxes and boxes are not very good protections. Now I will be able to keep nice looking shoes for more than six months.