Strawberries

Discussion in Home & Garden started by chassitymiller • May 17, 2012.

1. chassitymiller

chassitymillerNew Member

Threads:
    Ok, so I am very new to gardening. But I love fresh fruit and veggies. I have had great success with some, while others have totally flopped. One of the big things I wanted to try was strawberries. I was told that these were very easy because they grow like weeds. Apparently, I cannot grow weeds. :( Does anyone have any tips or ideas they can share?

2. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Ha! I heard they were very easy to grow too, but they need lots of sun! Make sure you use good quality top soil that has nutrients in it to maximize your chances!

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Strawberries do tend to spread so if you do not want that to happen, then you may want to get one of the Topsy Turvy planters or plant them in containers. We have a problem with the robins trying to eat them up before we get to them. You can cover the ground plants with a mesh fabric to keep them out.

4. chassitymiller

chassitymillerNew Member

Threads:
    I even tried one of those topsy turvy things and failed miserably. I am planting them in a whiskey barrel to contain them. Maybe I will dump the soil and try again. Thanks!!!

5. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend's sister has a plot of strawberries and I've always wondered if they were easy to plant. I've never heard her complain about it. I will ask her and see if she could give me some tips for you!

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    You are welcome! Instead of dumping the soil completely, temporarily remove it. Make sure you have good drainage holes in the bottom of the barrel and put some decent size pebbles at the bottom. Then take your soil and mix in some good fertilizer that is specificly made for containers. Just don't over fertilize, it is better to add more later if you need to. Place the barrel where you want to have it, THEN add your soil back in. It will be less heavy to move when the soil is out of it. Once you get your plants in that you shouldn't have to worry about fertilizing it again this year. Good luck!