Stream Or Buy?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by AngelicDevilTel • Jan 26, 2015.

1. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to music and movies are you more likely to stream them or do you buy copies of them (whether online or physical copies).

I figure if I can watch what I want or listen to what I want online; what point is there in buying it. The artists are still getting their money because most the streaming services do give them a cut. So I would much rather stream anything that I can.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For movies I prefer to buy DVDs because I'm a collector. But music is an entirely different matter. Unlike most people I get most of my music on youtube. There's one site where forum members normally share links of songs [they liked] which are on youtube. I normally listen to those, save the link in a text file if I like the song so I can find it easily next time I'd like to listen to it.

3. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even remember the last time I bought a DVD or a CD.

I constantly torrent movies and albums using my torrent applications on my laptop. I never go out and spend money for things like this, which I know isn't exactly a good thing, but it does save me a whole lot of money. I enjoy movies and music, and it's a passion for me to always collect them, but I do collect them on my hard drive.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Streaming and buying are both good options for me. I stream a movie when I cannot wait to watch it. Then, if I really loved the movie, I buy a Blu-ray copy.

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't watch an abundance of movies, but if I did, it would be through Netflix or Amazon Video, something like that. As far as streaming music goes, I only stream to hear it for the first time and then I will most likely buy it if I like the song.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If I'm on the rush and very excited to watch the movie or series, I'll go right away streaming it. And if I liked that movie so much, I'd buy it in DVD to make the most of it next time. Because I'm sure that I'm going to have to watch over and over when I get enough time for that.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the time, I just stream music. I like Pandora when I just want a certain style and sound from the music, and I use Spotify when I want to listen to certain sonngs, since you can have playlists on Spotify.
    For movies, it depends on the movie, and whether I just want to watch it, or whether it is a long-time favorite, and I want to own the movie.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stream and then if I really want it I buy it, though I am more likely to buy a hard copy than one online because if you can stream it, it will always be available? I haven't really bought any as my brother is an avid collector and shares them with me and downloads them onto the Apple box or Chromecast.

9. Jennifer McGaha

Jennifer McGahaNew Member

Threads:
    I tend to do both with Movies. I use sites like Netflix and HULU for a lot of documentaries and tv shows. Sometimes i am bad and use sites like Primewire and stream newer movies. I do buy DVDs on amazon to add to my collection. There are just some things i want a hard copy of!

With music. Hmm, I dont really buy CDs or MP3s anymore. I tend to use things like Pandora and youtube. I also listen a lot in my car. Music has kind of one down the drain for me these days anyways!

10. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Stream! You save so much more on streaming movies than buying the actual movie on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. However, I rather download the movie and save it onto a hard-drive, that way I can continually watch it whenever I wish to.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do both. I'd only download media whenever I feel like I need them for travel and I know I wouldn't have access to fast internet for long periods of time. Otherwise I'd just stream them to save myself some space and also some time waiting. Sometimes I'll download music or movies even if I don't have to travel if they are particularly my favorites, but this rarely happens. There are also times when I'll download something just to have a copy and I'll usually just upload it somewhere or keep it in my hard drive for emergencies like when the power goes out and I have nothing to do.

12. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    I do both as well. I stream all my movies and music basically because it's way more comfortable, and then if I like the content a lot I end up buying it (mainly music, I'm not into movies that much).

13. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    Streaming all the way for me. Both music (from Pandora), and movies from Netflix. There are a few movies I would like to buy, but I don't have a DVD player, so I've lived without those few movies. Sometimes I notice they will come on a DirecTV channel and I'll record it.

When I did have a DVD player, I found buying the movies was cost prohibitive for me. I thought, at the time, I could watch the movie over and over again if I desired, so that would be nice. In reality, I would watch the movie one time and never have any interest in watching again. o_O

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually download movies and torrents, I don't really stream. The last time I bought a CD was in 2004, and I last bought a DVD last 2012, so you could say that it's been a while since I spent money on them.

15. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to stream movies now. I used to buy them on dvd but it just took up too much space in our place. I find unless it's a movie the kids like my husband and I are unlikely to watch it again so it's a waste to own it. The kids enjoy watching some movies over again and we take the dvd's when we go on long car trips. My youngest still has a portable dvd player and uses it in the car to keep him entertained. I find I can get kids dvd's pretty cheap at Walmart too.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stream pretty much everything, I listen to music on Spotify and movies either at Netflix or movie theater. I don't watch all that much outside of that, I had somewhere I watched movies online, but that is not very trustworthy.
    Buying is a decreasing trend nowadays, proof of that is that even Apple created their own streaming for music! It's easier and way cheaper to stream, not to mention you don't take up space in your phone/computer.

17. DuckDragon

DuckDragonNew Member

Threads:
    For me buy is better and i have good collection too.