Stripes or solids?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Anna Blush • Mar 12, 2013.

1. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    What would you say you prefer more?
    Are you solids pattern type of person when it comes to shirts or are you a stripes type?

I personally have a balance of these because I do enjoy the typical "sailor" look (haha) and I can't like without solids because they are a great layering piece.
    I have known many people who hates stripes and I never quite understood why because stripes and solids are very figure flattering in my opinion.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have both stripes and plain colored clothes, and whenever I wear the stripe ones, I see no difference though. I still look the same, my body did not look larger in my eyes. So I guess I would have to say that I prefer both.

3. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind having both. It depends on my mood really which one I prefer. The style and fit for me is what matters. I have stripy and solid pattern clothes.

4. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Stripes seem quite old fashioned now. I remember wearing striped polos and jumpers when I was a teenager in the '90's. I don't own any striped clothing now, it's not a style I look for when buying clothes. It's down to personal taste.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't like stripes unless they are really thick stripes. I prefer a single color. I do have some solid patterns too. I like to keep my clothing simple so I can easily mix and match my separates.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mostly like solid colors and I like stripes only if they are black and white stripes. I think wide black and white stripes are bold and graphic and look quite sharp. When I was in high school, everything in my closet was black and white. Even though I've branched out to color since then, I still like my patterns clean and crisp like black and white stripes or dots. I don't like muddy looking florals, pastels or paisleys. I wouldn't want to blend in or look like wallpaper.

7. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer solids in my articles of clothing over stripes. In fact, I really don't like stripes for the most part. I find them a bit unflattering, for me at least. Depending on the pattern that is. I do like to wear pattern type shirts that have flowers or other types of designs in them. I also have dresses that have prints in them. However, when it comes to pants, skirts and shorts, I once again prefer solids.

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I have a really flattering long dress in cerise and navy which has vertical stripes, but generally, I prefer solid colours or patterns. Horizontal stripes just don't suit me. I'm short and not slim, so they tend to make me look shorter and dumpier, so I avoid them like the plague. I have a nice skirt and top, which I bought separately, but they go together so well you'd think they were an outfit. They have different sized turquoise spots on a brown background, and every time I wear that outfit, I get compliments, even though I don't normally wear brown or spots.

I guess what I'm saying is you need to take it on a case by case basis. I don't normally wear either stripes or spots, yet my two favourite outfits feature both these patterns!

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I generally prefer solid colors.

Occasionally I will prefer patterns or I will pair them with something solid, but rarely does that come down to stripes. I wore a lot of strips in my middle school years, so maybe that's why I avoid them at this point. They just don't work for me any more.

10. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I am also a huge fan like solids as you are but I would like to mention that as for stripes, they are flattering when the stripes are thinner and going down vertically down your body as opposed to the horizontal stripes because they typically make us look wider which is why women try to stay away from those.
    Although at the end of the day a solid black shirt will be the most figure flattering.

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I'm more of a solids types of girl I don't really like any patterns or animal prints on my clothes I just feel they don't fit me

12. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    I can't choose because I love them both. When I was younger, I wasn't too fond of the stripe look but now I love. I went shopping a couple of weeks ago, and I purchased a striped shirt. I am also on the brink of buying a long slit striped skirt. I think that wearing solid colors all the time without any designs of any kind can be a bit boring. I now like to switch it up, and wear things that are risky in appearance. Designs are a fun way to express yourself, and I love it. :D

13. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Unless it's a dress, I am when working likely to purchase solid rather than patterned clothing. It's just easier to mix and match when working with clothing in solid colors. Patterns and prints tend to be a bit much at times.

14. sjohnst77

sjohnst77New Member

Threads:
    I think solids are a better choice because you can wear them more often and change the look of your outfit by adding jewelery, a scarf, or a pair of bright pants ( especially now that it's spring)

15. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a sucker for vertical stripes. I like horizontal stripes occasionally, but my main obsession is black/white vertical stripes, and pink/white vertical stripes. Solids are great for pairing and layering, they'll go with just about anything.