Student loans paid off

Discussion in Loans started by jleadbet • Sep 27, 2012.

1. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    We just paid our last student loan. We had consolidated them for 20 years. Kind of crazy when our home mortgage is only 15 years. Anyone paying student loans? Do you mind the payment, or are you trying to pay them off early?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Major congratulations are in order. It's no small task to pay off student loans. My are paid off after several years. It was a great weight lifted off my shoulders.

3. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Congratulations, I'm trying to pay it off early. It can be very difficult at times making payments, but I'm happy I've already paid off 75% of what I owed initial. I'm giving myself 2 more years to pay off the balance.

4. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Congratulations!

I am a year out of college, but have been VERY aggressive with my loans. The thing is that my parents did help me a lot - I had a work/study job from freshman-sophomore year, then worked retail junior-senior year. I moved off campus for the last two years of college and supported myself (other than tuition) without any help from my parents. This was something I did on my own because I did not want them to work that much harder for me if I truly could do it alone. During senior year, I worked full-time at a retail store on top of a full courseload. It was hard, but do-able. For graduation, they gifted me a huge student-loan payment. Obviously the fact that I worked and supported myself wasn't THE reason why they were able to afford it, but I'm sure it helped!

I still had a balance to tackle - but I've gone straight into that and hope to be done very soon. It's crazy - you can look at your balance one day, then log in and check on it in 5 days - and it would be a little bit higher. I mean, we're talking pennies and a few dollars, but that's money that you're essentially giving away for having the loan sit there.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Congratulations!

That's an incredible feat, no doubt.

I do have loans and I definitely mind the bills. I wish I could pay them off sooner, but I'm barely scraping by as it is.

6. mark.1

mark.1New Member

Threads:
    In fact, there are people who think that it is too troublesome to apply for a student loan. Yes it is true that you need to do a lot of things and complete a lot of forms before you get approved. However, you have to go through these processes if you want to be worry free about your expenses in college. One of the advantage of a student loan is that you do not need to repay before you graduate if you are getting a federal loan. As a matter of fact, you do not need to repay immediately after graduation either. It will let you have some time to seek for a job before you have to repay. You will start repay about 6 months after you graduate.

7. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Student Loans are the the last bastion of personal screwery out there. Hats off to you for paying them off.

8. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    That is so awesome! Congratulations on getting them paid off. That is pretty crazy to think the student loan term was longer than your mortgage. I never did have the opportunity to go to college and at my age now, it would be somewhat pointless. Besides, I'd never be able to pay off 20 years of student loan debt before I hit retirement age!