Studying ONLINE

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by owesem75 • Nov 13, 2014.

1. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    The current trend on online learning is becoming more attractive as there are many more site popping up that offers FREE ONLINE LEARNING. It used to be a lucrative for business because you have to pay $$$ to get enrolled, but now websites like the coursera and the edex (etc) are offering it for FREE.

I refuse to stop learning as I always believe that there are so many things that we could learn. You will agree with me that most of us would say that TIME is one of the many factor that prevents us from studying. So this FREE online learning answers that.. you can study at your own time and at your own place.. and you do not necessarily have to finish the course if you don't want to... besides its FREE and nothing to lose but remember that you can get a certificate of completion (even with distinction) if you are able to complete the course. If you just wanted to have additional knowledge, this is just enough. But if you wish to use the certificate to support your CV, then there is a paid option because the university will verify your account and issue you a verifiable CV.

So how do you spend your time? Watching TV? Playing online games? I am advocate of life long learning and this is one of the many options available for us besides experience.

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Depending on the subject, I like online college courses. I've taken classes through ed2go and Universal Class through my local library for free. Of course, there is the convenience factor as I have to go on campus now to get my degree next year. Some days, I really don't want to get out of bed.
    It would be nice if most people cherished learning like you do. There may be less stupidity and fewer reality shows in the world.

3. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I actually applied for a job recently where I would tutor kids K-12 online through skype. I used to have a tutor come to my house when I was in high school. If I get the job I think it would be a good experience. A sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. The pay is good also. Only thing is if it is stuff past trigonometry or basic chemistry and biology then I will either have to do some studying or pass. I am hoping I get students up to and including 9th grade. Not higher than that. But something like this was unheard of when I was in high school. Online tutor. We humans are a funny bunch no doubt but we have made great leaps forward in a lot of positive things. And these kids can just ring me online if they need help. I couldn't contact my own real life tutor 15 years ago until the following week if I had a question about something ! LMAO.

4. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I've taken courses online and it was very convenient. I've even worked online and that was convenient, but I hated having my work at home. I feel like there should be a fine line between home and work.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used Coursera and edX and they are an excellent way to try new subjects. They do both offer verified certificates for a fee, though I'm not sure how much they are worth, but So far I have had the free certificates and Coursera does have a financial aid scheme, but may pay for one from a Law school.

Not all courses are easy and some also have weekly deadlines, but I would recommend them, but each institution has different ways of presenting the course.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently did a three months online course that landed me a job overseas. I am delighted to be on this new path of my personal evolution. I am currently working on extending my studies, so that I can get more lucrative jobs in the future. I think common sense is the main factor when you choose to study online. Try to gather as much information as you can, and make sure that the course will be nationally or internationally accredited.

7. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    I have recently come across both Coursera as well as Alison websites, these sites offer free and almost free In the case of Alison) educational material. I am a learning fanatic and just want to learn as much as i can in the little time have remaining on this planet. I like the fact that you can be enrolled in just about any content of your choice and the information there is relevant and builds on your schema in a legitimate way. I love the sciences and is often times exploring more and more science related concepts and brushing up on things that i have not read about in years. I also like the fact that Alison has the option of learning introductory aspects of different languages, let us use the internet to build ourselves up and focus more on the positives.

8. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    I have taken courses on Alison also, its a very good site, but you will have a fee to pay to receive your certificate of completion for courses. I have also taken other distant learning courses and I would advise anyone doing so to check the accreditation of any online school before committing yourself to a course, especially if it is something that you plan to your to start or further a career. Something else to keep in mind is that many times what we do well with as far as text book studying and written and or multiple choice test taking many not be enough depending on the subject or course, some things need the added benefit of hands on participation. For example on line courses for veterinary assistant will explain and show through illustrations the proper procedure for restraining an animal so that blood can be drawn, but is being able to recite the procedure enough to learn how to successfully do so with out hands on practice?

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's amazing what these schools are doing. I'm definitely digging the direction education is taking in many aspects. Especially where you can take the course and only pay a small fee for a piece of paper if you complete it. How cool is that?? I think all schooling should have the option of online courses and if a particular class needs labs or any sort of hands on learning, you go to the school in person and pay for their time and supplies/equipment then. I don't believe for one second the current methods are worth the huge amounts of money people put into it.. it's just another business.

10. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm still waiting to hear back about that application I sent in to be an online tutor. I don't understand these companies. They advertise urgent need for tutors and then you apply and don't hear back from them. I understand there is a high volume of applicants for any type of job these days but at least have the courtesy of emailing or calling me and saying the position has been filled. :mad: I was looking forward to doing this work too. I would be helping kids and at the same time learning and re-learning a lot of math and science.

#10Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  11. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Don't be discouraged by some of these companies. While your intentions may be admirable, some operations don't operate on the up-and-up. Recently, I interviewed with a person that wanted to launch an online tutoring company. He got a grant from the government but had no idea as to the demographic needs of most college students. It was his desire to target underserved communities but had no real direction as to how he wanted to execute a plan...and wasn't hearing anyone with facts about how marketing needs to have a goal in order to be effective on some level.

12. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    I recently completed my Masters of Public Administration online. It was the best thing for me to do at the time. I was able to work, go to school, and take care of my family all while maintaining a high grade point average. Anyone considering going to school online should be prepared to be focused, and ready to work hard depending on your program. The benefits could be very rewarding. I attended Argosy University, and was blessed with some very good instructors. I also had a few very tough instructors, but it was nothing I couldn't handle. I was always very serious and determined when it came to my work ethics.

#12Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  13. DTracy3

DTracy3Member

Threads:
    Online studying has improved a lot lately. I thought about learning Japanese online, but I haven't seen any free offers yet and the one where you had to pay were really expensive and sometimes looked not really legit. Anyone knows a good site where you can find online tutors?