Sub-Police station in a grocery store

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Lady350 • Nov 5, 2014.

1. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    I go to stores in other cities and don't see a police station located within, but in the center of town, it is. I guess the location matters, but no, on the South side of town, pretty high in crime, those grocery stores don't have police. It just surprised when I first saw that, and it is the only store I have ever been in that has that kind of security. Even in other states that I have visited, not a one.

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    never heard of such a situation. around here grocery stores are really clean and safe. i would have to imagine the one you visited had to be in a very dangerous area to get that sort of attention from the cops. i've seen wal-marts that have a lot of security and police protection, but never a grocery store. that's a sad commentary on our society.

3. nicolethompson

nicolethompsonNew Member

Threads:
    I have never seen a police substation in a grocery store but I have in other places such as a youth center. So I guess a grocery store is not as bad. I think it is sad that there has to be a police station right in a youth center.

4. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    The area is not a dangerous one though, so that is the surprising piece. It IS a shame that they did that, but I guess they felt a need for it.

5. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Is there a bank inside? A lot of grocery stores in larger cities are starting to either have security guards or police stations inside that have a bank. With the amount of money that goes through a grocery store, they are high risk for robbery. There is also the question of space. Maybe they needed a station in that area, but could not find anywhere else to put one.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is it an actual police station or a security guard center? They're two separate things, and security guard posts are sometimes found in random places like malls and certain stores. In some areas, they're necessary. In other areas, they're overkill. It is pretty weird, although not unheard of. I've seen that in a few different areas of the country at least.

7. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    In my neck of the woods, we don't have a sub police station or guards BUT three hours away and in the big city their Wal-Marts have a sub police station. I have noticed smaller grocery store chains with sub stations. I don't see it to be uncommon anymore. It actually wouldn't surprise me if all Wal-Marts put in sub-stations. After all, they have everything else.

8. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    They could have a section for their guards and off duty police officers. That actually is kinda common for some places and I believe that more should have them. I am actually surprised that some malls don't have their own security like section where they have known security that are there to protect.

9. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    I love the idea!! The area I live in is a little tough and there is always a chance of vandals in the parking lot not to mention a threat of robbery within the store. Having a cop automatically on duty near or on the premises would be great for business I would think.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's relatively common in Australia to have a "police shop" in large malls. It's simply another "shop" with mirror glass all around. The police there mainly monitor the premises and nearby parking lots via security cameras. Also, their presence in the building discourages shoplifters, or any kind of unruly behavior. Basically, everything in those policed shopping centers is highly regulated, and you won't even find a kid trying to ride a shopping cart.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never seen a sub police station in a grocery store, but my local Walmart always has 2 or 3 police cars parked outside of it.
    The funny thing is that the one and only time there weren't police cars around, some weirdo in the store was harassing my daughter and I , and the cops were nowhere around.

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whilst I have never seen a sub-police station in the shopping mall or grocery store, we do have several stores who employ security guards here in England. Socio-economic problems are on the increase here and there are more and more instances of people stealing food from the supermarkets.

13. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen substations in different areas of town, one is inside a sort of community center type commercial building, but I don't remember seeing one inside a grocery store. I think there's one by one of the Walmart locations here, there are always a bunch of police vehicles at the far edge of the parking lot. The store is located on a recently developed part of what used to be a "bad" area where the tore down a housing project.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have them in my hometown because crime here is almost unheard of. Not saying it's a utopian world we live in. Most of those who live here are retirees. Not the demographic that would be out looking for trouble, right? I suppose in high-risk areas having policemen around or lots of security guards isn't such a bad idea.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe in a mall or nearby, but I've never seen or heard of one in a grocery store. They wouldn't be there without a good reason and maybe a deterrent too. Around the world it is different and police huts in Asia can be nearly anywhere for convenience, so I wouldn't be surprised in Asia to find a small police hut because resources are limited and rather than walk around they can be stationed near the population.