Subliminal messages on ads?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by mxc019 • Oct 29, 2013.

?

Have you ever bought something that you didn't need but somehow you wanted it for no particular reas

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. mxc019

mxc019New Member

Threads:
    Do you believe in some point in your life that you have been influenced by subliminal message. Has your subconscious been influence to buy that Carl's Jr burger or maybe that type of beer. I am beginning to feel like commercials nowadays are trying to pursued the consumer into doing something that they would otherwise not do.

2. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I agree thst commercials are there to get consumers to buy the products advertised, but it's ultimately up to you whether or not to go and buy what you see. I like a lot of the ads I see, but I don't go out and buy it because I would rather have something I need than something useless.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe i am too dense for these kinds of things, but i never bought something because i only saw a commercial. Come on, if that was like it, i would go bankrupt as soon as i turned on the TV. If i want a burger, its definitely not because i saw a ad, more like i am in the need of one burger.

4. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed that more name brands are being shown on television shows. I remember a time when you would see groceries or products in the background, but you couldn't read the names. Or if you saw the names, it would be changed just enough to know what product it was with the wrong name. For example, a can might have read Mount D for Mountain Dew. Or they would use black tape to cover the name. Now, go watch a show, and all you see is advertising. The names of brands are obvious and sometimes in-your-face.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't think they need subliminal messages.. people love to eat poorly or have the latest and greatest to impress the neighbours or dress like everyone else etc etc etc. it's absolutely not necessary whether they do it or not.

6. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that they don't need subliminal messages to get people to buy their products. Everyone wants to be up to date on the latest technology so they go out and buy the latest gadgets and products just so they won't feel left behind.

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The advertisers definitely use subliminal messaging to influence what we buy, that is the whole point in advertising. There are many brands which are deeply ingrained into our consciousness as we have witnessed their adverts from an early age and they become part of 'everyday life', that is the aim of any brand.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Seems like you don't know what subliminal advertising is. There is nothing "subliminal" about pushing a product so hard you start to favor it in place of another one. That's just psychology. Not to mention that subliminal messages were repeatedly proven to not work, so why would anyone waste time with them?

9. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I believe subliminal messages were actually outlawed at one time, meaning true subliminal that were in some sort of flashed message that was not picked up by the consious brain. I have to look this up.

Now as to either the "subtle" advertising or what is known as product placement (where an advertiser pays to stick their bottle of cola somewhere on the set of a movie or show) it must work as I see it more and more. Personally, old fashioned ads...if well done, do not need to be subtle or subliminal...look at how memorable Etrade baby is...or the Budweiser ads...or these days Fiat. These are in your face and you will remember the product.

10. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    Well the only thing a subliminal message can do is put the idea in your mind. I doubt being bombarded by these will actually force someone to buy the product in question. Just my 2 cents on this.

11. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Knowing that subliminal messages have swayed you in your life defies the meaning of a subliminal message. It would be something that sends you a message without your knowledge of the message being sent. So, if subliminal messages are active in our lives and working we should know nothing about them.

12. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    While I think subliminal messaging is a thing of the past, I do believe companies are trying harder and harder to target their customer and persuade them to do things they may not otherwise do. I think we are seeing a lot of persuasive images, big celebrities appearing to push products, etc. Also, all of these memberships stores promote now track your purchases so they can further target you with personalized ads. This happens on the internet with cookies as well. All in all, I think its harder for consumers to say 'no,' nowadays.

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Except for the fact that subliminal messages do absolutely nothing with human psyche and don't work.

14. Grimp

GrimpNew Member

Threads:
    Haha i just think people are easily influenced into buying things, alot of people are addicted to the feeling of buying something new, and alot of people like beers and burgers, so when you catch them off guard when they are bored and alone at night, BAM you have made a sale

15. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    Actually or lives are being very much influenced by subliminal messages which are almost everywhere, it's pretty hard to not see one in a normal day, they are on every advertising out there. Everyday we run past them and we don't even notice them unless some makes us paying attention to them, but that's the way the marketing works nowadays.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think commercials aim specific subconscious messages to us although I would consider it plausible. I don't think they need to though since as long as they are creative and smart and the products are good people will remember the brand and buy it anyway. Also, with the amount of repetition these commercials get with the masses, it will get ingrained in our brains whether we like it or not. I know a lot of companies have tried this before but from what I can remember it didn't work because the science for it was just not there yet.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once saw a documentary that was focused on showing the lengths to which retailers go in order to subliminally get consumers to spend, spend, spend. It made for very interesting viewing, but I honestly don't know if it even works. I doubt it works on me, probably goes over my head LOL. I consider myself t be a smart shopper and tend to only really buy if I want to, which has these days graduated to mainly things I actually NEED.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, people are just accustomed to buying things whether they want it or need it, so I don't think there is any subliminal stuff going on with the commercials that we see on tv.

19. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    There might have been a few unethical commercials using low tactics like subliminal messaging. Then again all that an ad can do is make itself look very persuasive and inviting to buy. I'm so tired of ads everywhere I go but that is apart of life. I can always choose to ignore the ads when possible. If not I know I don't have to buy something simply because it was on tv.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed some "subliminal" ads this past season in The Walking Dead. In one of the episodes towards the middle of this first half of the season, there is a scene where one of the characters is standing in an office. Behind them are two posters, where one looks like an Allstate ad (or maybe it was State Farm), and the other looked like an ad for Progressive. Neither of the posters explicitly used their brand names, but they bared a strong resemblance to both respective companies marketing materials. For example, the one poster that seemed to be subliminally promoting Progressive, had a picture of a car and some wording in the Progressive font and in the same color blue they use. It just seemed too much of a coincidence for it to not have been intentional.