Submitting Proof Of Identity At Paypal

Discussion in Payment Methods started by kaka135 • Apr 12, 2017.

1. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Have you received an email from Paypal asking you to submit your proof of identity? I have just received an email from PayPal, stating that it is a requirement from my country as I have reached a milestone in PayPal.

I wonder if anyone has submitted the proof of identity and any country has applied the same rule as well.

2. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    That probably may just be the norm with them. But I don't understand why they would say base on your country they request for your identity. If you are not clear about the mail I guess you can easily contact their customer center. On the other hand supplying them with the info they're requesting for shouldn't be difficult I guess

3. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I suppose different countries have different rules on this. Yes, the proof of ID is easy to show, but it was challenging for me to provide proof of address as I don't receive many bills on my name on it nowadays. The statement is quite clear, but I am just curious why they suddenly implement this and wonder if any other members got this too.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I signed up for paypal, living in America, they ask for my checking acct. information for I had my cash withdrawal transaction to my checking. Then I opted for a Debt Master card and get to withdraw with my Paypal Debit Card, much easier. I do agree if you have any question, before submitting any information please check with paypal, since you're a paypal account holder already, I don't understand either that they'd like proof of identity...be careful, check with paypal directly to be sure it is paypal asking you for information.

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I gave out my bank account details when I joined PayPal. This was needed for them to directly transfer the amount to either my bank account or a credit card (I chose the former).

It is in lieu with my country's rule for PayPal and so far it has been smooth for me.

6. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady Yes, I also did that when I wanted to get my PayPal verified and also transferred money to my local bank account. But I guess this is another way to verify whether I am a valid person who is using the account, and it is required by my country. I am not sure which other country requires this too.

#6Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well this is always an area where you want to very extra careful. There are way too many horror stories out there that I have heard and I am scared already so always do this with an eye open.

8. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    I've never had to provide any proof of identity to be honest. I live in the UK by the way. It does seem a bit weird and I've never heard of PayPal doing such thing. Make sure to contact PayPal directly via their website to make sure that this is not a scam and that email was sent by them directly.

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've never received a letter like that from Paypal. In the first place, my account has been confirmed by Paypal with a local bank so I don't think they need further proof about my identity. Moreover, since I'm only receiving minimal earnings through my Paypal account, I'm probably not a concern in terms of tax reporting. I'd be careful about furnishing proof of identity or address as this can be used for a number of scams as had been reported in the news. You can verify directly with Paypal to be sure.

10. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I don’t remember submitting any proof of identity, but while verifying my account, I was asked to upload my PAN card which is a proof of identity, address proof along with the banking details. So I suppose, it is their practice to ask for proof of identity. But you could check with the customer care before you submit it.

11. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille I think you are right. Since we have linked our bank account to PayPal and get it verified, I do not understand why I need to submit any proof again, unless they afraid we might use the PayPal account for money laundering purpose. I am not sure why my country requires those confirmations, especially the proof of address.

#11May 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe I was interested in getting the debit master card which I think will be simple method to make use of the Paypal fund. I was made to understand I can't have access to the Paypal Debit card due to location. Looks like the debit card is only accessible by those in US.

#12May 5, 2017
  13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @tonyb@tonyb :)I think you can get a Paypal.com debit mastercard anywhere, for I found this site:

So I believe you can get a debit paypal.com card for anywhere you use a mastercard...maybe their customer service can help you with this. I also got a Payoneer.com debit mastercard. Payoneer charges .95 for automatic loading, paypal doesn't. The company who pays me pays to payoneeer only, not paypal so I had to get a payoneer card. Paypal.com is free, free debit mastercard too, and free payments made to automatically load on your paypal debit mastercard too-I love it!!! Good luck!

#13May 5, 2017
  14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Did your account get limited? Paypal did ask me to link my bank account to my Paypal account so that they could verify my identity. I did link my bank account, but I did that with my 2nd account, so that I could withdraw my money. I intend to verify my limited account, the premier account once my debit card expires, so when I get a new card then I will link it there.

15. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I have PayPal account for a few years and have never been asked for this kind of account authentication. The only thing they asked me for was a valid credit card to make my account checked and let me be able to make transactions (of any kind).

16. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    If your paypal account is not verified, your account has some limitation. Submitting proof of identity along with bank information will verify your paypal. When paypal is verified you can perform transaction in any volume. My paypal is also unverified. However, I have not received any emails from paypal. Check the sender address before clicking any links.

17. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Well i have never received such message and i'm not sure it's because my account is verified or they just have yet to require me to do it, but they'll give you the option to provide either your Id, credit card statement or a utility bill.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not received any such notice in any of my accounts in any country. I submitted my PAN card and Debit Card as ID proof in Indian PayPal account and credit card in Australian account. That pretty much served my purpose. I think you should check with support at PayPal before giving any information.

19. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 What is PAN card? I didn't submit credit card or debit card as ID proof, but I did link my credit card to PayPal in order to get my PayPal account verified and easy for me to make payment online. It seems like it's a requirement in my country, though I do not know why my country requires that. I logged into my PayPal account to submit the information, instead of clicking on the email, so I think it's safe.

#19Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2017
  20. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you sure that the email is legit from Paypal and not a phishing email? I'm wondering because before Paypal approved my account, I was required to submit my credit card details. And before I could withdraw my balance, I had to submit the details of my bank account. Those 2 documents are already proofs of identity so why would Paypal ask for more proof? It's a puzzle to me, really.