Sugar Free Foods

Discussion in Food & Drink started by suegiplaye • Aug 3, 2015.

1. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    My entire family is full of diabetics so I have been trying to find foods that are sugar free. I really do not want to end up with diabetes myself. I am wondering where can I buy sugar free food that is cheap. Also, most sugar free food I taste has a bad aftertaste. Do you know of any foods that are sugar free but actually have a good taste to it?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most processed foods contain hidden sugars. They have names like sucrose, sucralose, maltitol, lactose, fructose, etc.
    If you want to start on a sugar free diet, check out your local health food store and get some bulk foods, such as nuts (cashews are very sweet), dried fruit, and sugar free chocolate, if you are looking for some sweet snacks.
    Try and make your own sauces, dips and creams at home with ingredients that are naturally sweet and aromatic. Most processed sauces, etc. contain sugars. There are plenty of recipes on the internet that you can experiment with to create delicious meals.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say I hate the taste of anything that's sugar free. Like you say, it tends to have a nasty after taste, plus it's usually heavily leaden with calories. If I were you, I'd just stick to a healthy, balanced diet. I personally couldn't put myself through eating sugar free food. Eating well and still eating full fat dairy products will balance it all out. At least it makes sense in my head and seems to work well for me.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What you need to look for is no added sugar because some items will contain natural sugars. You need to still have some sugar though, it's balancing it. When you look at a label if sugar is the first item, put it back or if it's in the top three. I help my diabetic dad shop and sometimes I have to tell him even some tea he wanted had 97% sugar and he put that back.

Many manufacturers do have no added sugar products which is better than replacement sweeteners, because they taste better and have less artificial things in them.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The problem with many foods that claim to be sugar free, is that they actually contain more sugar than those foods that are labelled under full fat. That is why a lot of people will not buy diet soda, because it has more 'crap' in it than the full fat version of the soda. Sometimes it has more preservatives and such. It sucks that you can't trust these manufacturers. No added sugar, as stated above, may be a better bet.

6. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    All of these comments is so true. I live in the United States, and it seems I cannot find foods that are not filled with sugar. And when they are not filled with sugar, they are filled with sodium. Too much salt can also cause you to become a diabetic. I eat fruits and vegetables as much as I can. I want to buy a smoothie blender so I can make myself smoothies.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't think most sugar free foods taste that bad. Kroger, if you have one nearby, has some really excellent sugar free products. Some sugar free cakes and cookies that you can purchase in the sore are almost as good as the regular products I find.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Plant based, whole foods diet.. best thing anyone can do for their health, *especially* when they're already sick. You may not like the taste, but your taste buds will change back and you'll appreciate food in it's natural state again. Many people turn their nose up at natural foods because they're bland, but they're bland because they've trained their taste buds and themselves on highly processed, sugary, salty foods... of course they're bland in comparison. If you could eat natural foods and actually enjoy them without harmful additives, why wouldn't you? It takes time, but so did training your body to get sick on the typical diet. And diabetes isn't just a sugar thing (I know plenty of people with diabetes that have it controlled and eat plenty of natural sugars in the way of unprocessed fruits).. check out studies on animal products and just the typical highly processed diet in general. If it has a label, in most cases it's not good for you.. especially if you're already sick.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I commiserate with the family of diabetics. It is not easy to live a life of diabetic because of the bland food. It is natural for man to be born with a sweet tooth and that sweet is what's prohibited in diabetics. My niece is a diabetic who is taking insulin shots. She has a list of food that she can and cannot eat including drinks. But sometimes she goes overboard and lands in the hospital.

10. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    I agree. I find that some sugar free foods and drinks tend to taste a little bit weird to me. Also, I think it's important that I say this because sometimes when you go towards the sweeter sugar free stuff (candies, popsicles, etc) you risk having them become laxatives. Often times in order for the sweetness factor to be there, a sugar alcohol is used in place of the sugar that the body can't absorb. This causes the body to try to flush it out of the body as quickly as possible. I wouldn't say torture yourself to try and only eat sugar free foods, just try to be more mindful of what you're eating. I do recommend sugar free gummy bears are they are delicious (Haribo brand is great)

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have found that to keep free of diabetes 2 is to exercise and watch what you eat. I recently found an article about Nopal Prickly Pear Cactus a cactus that stops diabetes 2.

I always like to read what WebMD has to say about products even the natural ones.

12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I think all food has some hidden sugar added even the ones that claim to be sugar free have it. If I were you I'd make my own snacks and sweeten them with sugar alternatives instead, such as agave. Maybe you are one of those with a sweet tooth but also try to eat other healthy snacks such as nuts. For something sweet I usually go for craisins when looking for something healthy.