Suggestion For A Gaming Console?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by JoanMcWench • Mar 14, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I'm looking into getting a console for an 11 year old boy & I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to what the first one for him should be. I don't want it to be something incredibly expensive or new. He's played the PS4 & Xbox One so he may be a tad jaded but I'd still like to convert him.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've played the Nintendo Wii console and it's not that bad. Even pre-adolescent kids can play and enjoy the whole interface too. You can play sports games like tennis and boxing and you really have to make use of your arms and body to get the games going, no different from virtual reality games. The price of this console is pretty affordable compared to Xbox.

3. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    I have a Xbox One and I think that it rules, anyhow I just think that is going to get better in a couple of years!

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd go with the PS4 personally, unless you know that he really enjoys particular Xbox exclusives like Halo, in which case the Xbox One would then be the obvious choice.

5. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Even though the price of the ps4 is still fairly high, i still think its the best console on the market today.
    Like the other posters have already said, you also have to factor in what games they're into and enjoy. Buying any console can be an expensive business so as well as getting suggestions off others, also make sure you research it as much as possible yourself as well.

6. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    It also depends on if you plan upgrading. Let me tell you, my partner is more of a gamer than I am. He had a PS3 and Xbox 360. He used the Xbox more than the PS3. Actually I did too. We'd use the PS3 mostly for its BluRay feature and I'd play ONE game on it. So we ended up selling it online.

We use the Xbox 360 for everything: Amazon videos, YouTube, Dvd player, his games and my games. It has a quite a few titles for kids but it doesn't have the BluRay feature that I think the XboxOne has. He wants to upgrade, I don't think it's necessary nor financially smart. Right now he is using Swagbucks and Bing like crazy racking up Amazon cards. Says he wants to save them to someday get something. I'm not an idiot. he wants to buy the Xbox One and as long as he doesn't use house money for it, I MAY be okay with it. MAYBE.

Anyway, like I said it has a few titles for kids but a lot are innappropriate imho. I feel the Nintendo console is better suitable for kids. I have a two year old and right now he "plays" a Mickey game and we have a Sesame Street game and Kinectimals (which honestly, we had before he was conceived) that he may playing the future. BUT, once he gets a little older I would like to get him a Nintendo console. I just really like the Kinect feature of the Xbox (all my games are dancing games). I think Nintendo has something similar which, like I said, is great for kids.

7. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    The Xbox ONE rules if you'd ask me!

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wii U. So far it has the best library of games from all the next gen consoles (PS4 and X1 are awful and already outdated, with no games) and all of them are kid friendly. And most importantly, fun.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You guys are kind of ignoring the part where OP said she doesn't want it to be incredibly expensive or new.
    OP , the Playstation 2 can be found used for about $40. The Playstation 2 was incredibly long lived and in the decade that it was around , there were about 3,000 games released for it.
    Some of the PS2 games are still pretty gorgeous and impressive.
    Your 11 year old can have a lot of fun with a PS2.

10. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    OP can also get a Nintendo or other console used/refurbished at stores or online. And with these new consoles coming out, I'm sure there are a lot of people willing to sell theirs. Plus, there are tons of ways to earn gift cards online to use towards the purchase of a console.:)

11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Personally, I think Nintendo Wii is the best choice. I am really a huge fan of this gaming console. It's more fun and interactive. :)

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If you aren't too concerned about the maturity levels of the games then I'd recommend getting a ps3 since it has lots of great games for it and soon enough they will probably all get a lot cheaper since the new consoles have already been out for a while. If you are looking for something even cheaper then look into getting a used Wii or PS2 as both those have great games for kids.

13. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I would recommend the early Wii's that played the Gamecube games as well. Between both game libraries, you will be set for a LONG time. I just started this myself, (and I have the heart of a 11 Y/O). The newer consoles are hard to recommend because of all the gore and violence. The Wii U is pretty good as well.

14. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    I would personally suggest a handheld, namely the 3DS. It fun, and has tons of games that would appeal to a 11yo. If you want a cheaper option, there is the 2DS, and if you want something with more value, try the New 3DS. They all play the same games (although the New 3DS does have some exclusives).

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Microsoft is working on unifying their gaming platform. Within a year or two as long you run Windows 10 on your PC, you'll be able to play Xbox One Games on PC. So this most certainly isn't the right time to buy an Xbox One Console. Be patient. Wait just a little longer, use that money to buy a powerful gaming PC and you'll never have to buy another console.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have to agree with this. I think for kids you can't go wrong with handheld consoles because they can bring it around with them to school and even on trips and it can be their own personal item. Home consoles can be equally as good of course as they do bring much better graphics but there is also a certain charm to having a handheld especially at that age.

17. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    If he likes the games on those consoles, you may be out of luck until waiting for a sale. Black Friday usually has awesome sales on consoles if you are lucky enough to snag one. If he currently has an older console, maybe you could sale it on ebay in order to front some of the money for a new console. I am a Nintendo fan, but the Wii U probably won't be right for your son if he liked Xbox and PS4.

18. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I agree very much with this statement, I have an 8 year old nephew, he is pretty smart. I would recommend getting the WII because he does not have to worry about getting technical with the video game. As I watched my nephew use this console, I was very happy, it's also great because it makes them really interactive with the game.

The developers develop these games on the WII to be incredibly simple for those individuals who are really not that advanced in regards to being able to follow along with a mission meant to be done by adults with developed minds beyond that of a child that cannot comprehend those types of directions.

19. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well that is correct too. Xbox, in addition to being more expensive, is more complex. Little children will have a hard time understanding the interface. They would need adult supervision first before they get the hang of things. Also, although it's more convenient because you don't need to hold anything - not even a remote control like when you use Wii, the disadvantage is that the sensor won't be able to detect you if you sweat too much or there's bad lighting.

20. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Perhaps you should try handheld gaming consoles like 3DS or PS Vita, cheaper options and pretty decent games's library. 3DS is overall better and more children friendly than PS Vita though. Eventually, all depends of the gaming preference of your child, but of course, I guess you don't let him to play GTA 5, fallout games or Doom.