Suggestion: Minimalist Living

Discussion in Suggestions & Feedback started by Victor Leigh • Dec 22, 2014.

1. Scarlet

ScarletMember

Threads:
    I agree that its a great idea, I know I would enjoy sharing and reading others stories.

I think its a good way of creating savings, cutting back in as many areas that you don't mind doing so, so that you can spend money in the areas you enjoy to spend the most. I think most people don't mind cutting back in specific areas and only don't do due to their lack of knowledge.

2. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    For me that is the best idea and if we just analyse how people live we come to the conclusion that we spend according to our income. Needless to say that if we reduce what we spend we will get savings. Minimalist living can really reduce our spending to a minimum!

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    'What this site is trying to acheive' ... I think 'this site's goal' is not so-much 'reward' as it is 'peaceful living' (i.e. when you "Don't Pay Full" then paying-off your debts is that much easier).
    I think of 'minimalist lifestyle' as "living like a monk"---buying only the food you need, etc.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! Being minimalist sounds much like living in the the fashion of those old-time monks that even ended up turning into hermits, secluded in the top of a hill, not really the kind of lifestyle someone may like today!

But living frugally, saving money, taking advantage of used items that can be reused and so on, it's not necessarily an environmental-connected way of life, but a practical lifestyle regardless you are an ecology enthusiast or not.

Because much of the savings in frugality are based on the principle of reduce, reuse, and recycle, people tend to believe that a frugal life has to be a life embracing environmentalism.

It can be if this your conviction, but not necessarily frugality and ecology go hand in hand.

5. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    A person with enough money could easily spend 50 million dollars on a minimalist mansion, and decorate it with minimalist art worth many millions, and minimalist furniture with , let's say, a $100,000 minimalist couch in the living room. I would bet that you could find a custom automobile manufacturer who would provide a minimalist auto for a few million. Minimalism is a design concept, and many designers will gladly provide very expensive minimalist items. A few thousand for a minimalist tux?
    Consider the painting, snowshoe hare in snow.

6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    A section on minimalist living would always be welcome. My take is that this forum has a lot to do with minimalist living as the main thrust. Again minimalist living is relative to the disposable income of various individuals. What constitutes minimalist living to one person does not necessarily apply to another.