Summer Camps & VBS

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Stephanie • Apr 25, 2012.

1. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    It's that time of year again! All over town facilities are gearing up for children's summer camps. They can cost a small fortune, but they don't have to. Here are 2 ways for the kids to have a lot of fun and it will fit your budget.

1) VBS- Vacation Bible School. They usually run a week, something like 8-12 in the morning. I've met several people who sign their kids up for 3-5 a summer! They are usually rock bottom cheap (often free if you volunteer or attend that particular church) and provide loads of fun and snacks. Many might have concerns that their child will be taught something different than they would at their own churches, I have those same concerns, but the truth is there are only a couple different VBS programs floating around and many churches share the sames one. I've noticed that liturgical type churches tend towards one (Lutheran, Epicsolpalian, Catholic) and evangelical round out the rest. They're aren't that heavy into theology anyway; just the basics. Even if your child repeats the same program, they still usually have a lot of fun and meet new friends.

2) Scouts- my children aren't in the Girl Scouts, but their summer camp down here is open to everyone. You can join the GS on the spot, but never have to commit to a troop or attend a meeting. They offer great camps, on their own properties, at astounding prices. I bet they have better supervision than a lot of the uber-priced upscale camps.

2. greenplankton

greenplanktonMember

Threads:
    Summer camps are often good opportunities for your children to go out there and make new friends, but I must say, with the economy not looking that good, some summer camps have closed down as a result. But there are still some out there that are worth giving a try for your kids, just because a particular summer camp is more expensive than another's doesn't mean it is better in any way. It could be that the venues used by the summer camps require higher rent or the owners and organisers simply want a higher percentage of profit. It's best to discuss with your neighbours where you might want to send you kids to during the summer vacation. Hope this helps! :)

3. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    My kids love the VBS and really like to go to them. I only do one per year because the rest of the summer I pack with things for them to do around town. Such as taking trips to the zoo to make the trip even more enjoyable!

4. mark500

mark500New Member

Threads:
    I am interested to apply for VBS, but it will be appreciable, if you will share some pictures or videos of VBS program.

5. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    My kids enjoy going to VBS. I'll be letting all three of mine go this year.

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Running a VBS isn't an expensive operation cause the only big meal is probably on the last day. Also, the recreation, normally basketball, is practically free. I don't see why one fundraiser wouldn't be enough to cover a VBS. Anyway, I'm just speaking of what I saw at the church across the road from me, the one I attended as a child. Other ones could be different.