Surface Pro 3

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Sep 3, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been meaning to get a new computer and I was originally planning on just getting a laptop but have since then heard about Surface Pro 3 and I'm wondering if it would be wise to just get that instead.

It looks promising since it has all laptop functionalities but also turns into a tablet, but I'm worried about the durability of the kickstand as well as it's peripherals such as the keyboard and stylus.

I'm also planning on using it for graphic design so I'm hoping someone here who has experience with any of the previous or current models could chime in on the accuracy of the stylus on the touchscreen.

Thanks!

2. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    If I were you, I would have a look around to see if there are still Surface Pro 2's still being sold in your area. This is because the base model of the Surface Pro 3 has a slower CPU and less storage with a higher price tag than the base model of the Surface Pro 2, and as far as I know, both the Surface Pros are built quite well and they are made with decent quality.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There is something about the case and the keyboard for those devices that I just don't like for some reason. I would maybe use one if my employer provided it to me, but I would much rather get one of the new sleeker gaming level laptops as a personal computer. That way I get all the horsepower I need in a slim design. Honestly, I would seldom ever use the Surface as a tablet, and would spend far more time using it as a laptop. It does not look terribly comfortable to use as a laptop at all. Sure it can stand up on a table, but it looks too flimsy to stand up properly on your lap. Plus the balance of it is all off since all the weight is put into using it as a tablet. Hence the goofy kickstand.

I've checked them out in person at the store and one of the first things I noticed was the hinges on the case/keyboard had already begun to crack and buckle at the seams. I expect something more durable for that price.

The two big things that are supposed to be it's main selling points, the touch screen itself, and the fact that it's a tablet, are of the least interest to me personally, so I would rather have a dedicated laptop.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Surface Pro 3 is a great machine, however, the worthwhile models are all over $1,299 because an i3 isn't going to do you any good, even for some of the more basic tasks. It just doesn't compare to an i5 or an i7. Still, if you're looking for a computer months later, then I'd suggest waiting for the Surface Pro 4 that's likely going to be released at the end of 2015.