Surprisingly good indie games for the PC

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Mar 7, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never played a lot of Indie games for the PC before. I liked to play games that were made by famous developers like Square and Ea and Sony and Sega and Nintendo and Namco. But little by little, I was introduced to the beauty of indie games. The most recent indie game that I played which absolutely blew me away was Kentucky Route Zero: Act 1 and 2.

kentucky_route_zero.0_cinema_1280.0.

Kentucky Route Zero has a very weird title and does not really ring a bell when it comes to marketing. But once the game is set in motion, it grips the player from beginning to end. The imagery is beautiful and the story is amazing. It's like Lost for video games (except the setting is not on an island). I never thought that the game would be so good.

What are the good indie games that you have played?

Attached Files:

2. emilyrose93

emilyrose93Member

Threads:
    What is the plot of this one like?

I have played a few indie games. One I played recently that I enjoyed was The Novelist. It's sort of a point-and-click adventure game, almost. It's a little bit slow-paced but it's really interesting. You play as a ghost in a familys summer home. The family is made up of a man (the novelist), his wife and son. Their marriage isn't going very well, and as the ghost you get to follow the family around, read their thoughts and journals and notes, and then make decisions that affect whether they'll stay together, whether his novel will be finished in time, etc. It's only about three hours worth of gameplay but it was interesting. I'm not sure that I would play it again though.

Papers, Please is also a good one. You play as a border protection agent in a communist country. You have to check everyones papers and passports before they are allowed in, and at the end of the day decide how to spend your wages in order to keep your family alive in poverty. There's a few moral dilemmas through-out the game that you have to make decisions on, which is a challenge but fun.

Both of these games have different endings depending on how you play, which is something I really enjoy in any video game.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, you first take control of a certain delivery man. He comes to a stop at a gasoline station and asks for directions. He's looking for Route Zero because he has something to deliver. The man he talks to says that reaching the Zero would not be easy. From then on out, you embark on a weird and mysterious journey to find that place. It's awesome.

Yep, I've played Papers, Please too! It's definitely a great game. It does get repetitive after a while but it's very challenging. I never thought that working as a document checker would be so much fun. :D

4. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Dear Esther was surprisingly good to me because I didn't hear great things before I bought it. I understand people's complaints but I have a fetish for its particular environment and it's the most expressive world I've ever seen in a game or in anything. In general, I'm becoming more disappointed in aaa games and more in favor of indie ones or mods.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    There are a ton of good indie games out there but my favorite would be Octodad: Daliest Catch. Oh yes. I know this game isn't breathtaking or anything, it doesn't have a sick story, graphics are average, etc. But this game is so much fun to play! Its hilarious, its funny, and its really entertaining, especially when you play it with a friend. At first I thought this game would be a flunk, I mean come on, your an Octopus pretending to be a Dad? Seriously? But that's the charm of it, it plays around with its own ridiculousness. I suggest you guys play it, its one fun game.

6. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard about Kentucky Route Zero. Looks like the majority that played the game gave it high praise. I've never played it myself yet as I'm too busy with other games currently. One indie game that I really liked was on the XBLA called Mark of The Ninja.

7. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    One that's probably not many have heard of is Space Rangers HD.

It's a remastered version of Space Rangers 2 and appears to be a game that is popular in eastern Europe but one that's not very well known anywhere else.

If you have ever played "Pirates!" by Sid Meier in the 80s, then you'll find that the game concept features a similar open sandbox where you are free to explore, roam and progress in whatever manner you like.

This series not only does sandbox very well but manages to blend lots of mini subgames like text adventures, arcade shoot-em up and real time strategy into a space themed environment where you get the sense that every action of every NPC in the game has a tangible impact in the overall Galaxy; its kind of like the most massively multiplayer single player game Ive ever come across .