Suspending My Verizon At Night And Resuming Each Day

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by DukeMadThane • May 29, 2015.

1. DukeMadThane

DukeMadThaneMember

Threads:
    I wonder if anyone knows if I suspend my phone at night each day and unsuspend it during the morning and afternoons, will my bill be prorated just for the time used? I am trying to avoid paying $80/month for a cell phone that I hardly use while my finances are tight. Do you think this strategy will work? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I doubt if that will work to reduce the amount of your monthly bill, you pay by the month where you use the phone or not for a period of time. Maybe you can ask if a new plan is available that will reduce your monthly expense.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are on a contract no. Verizon are the worst. My old land lady signed up for something she didn't understand and couldn't afford it. We went into the store and caused a scene so they would move her to a lower tarriff or PAYG. They won't offer, you have to push it and I ended up doing it publicly so they had to.

Other than that if you can switch providers, T-Mobile I hear buys out the rest of your contract and then you can pay less and choose PAYG.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No, they will not pro-rate it for you.

If you're spending $80 a month and need to cut that cost, consider switching away from Verizon. There are plenty of providers that charge far less a month.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why would that strategy work? No wireless service provider would allow you to turn on and turn off service at that interval to save money. You can switch to Verizon prepaid by paying off your contract and the ETF, or you can switch to another service provider, though you'll have to purchase new devices. Verizon's smartphones only work on Verizon and Sprint networks, but Sprint won't always allow Verizon devices onto its network.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you do decide to go with a different provider and they won't accept your device on their network, you can always sell it on eBay, assuming it's in good shape, and is in demand. I wouldn't worry about that part. Also, if you end up switching and need a new (to you) device, you can do the same. Just make sure the

is clean.

Definitely check into the ones who are now offering to pay off the rest of your contract, but I think that offer is for certain higher-priced plans, so make sure you know what you're getting into, before you sign anything.

If nothing else works, or even if it does, see if there's someone in your family or social group who might be willing to add you onto their plan, for a lower level of service/cost, since you apparently don't use it at night anyway.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Go with T-Mobile or one of the pre-paid providers. If you live in a populated area that already has full coverage from other carriers besides Verizon, then you really don't need to worry about coverage in general. I mean, I could understand if you lived out in some remote area of Idaho or something, and coverage was spotty - but in your major metro areas, pretty much all your carriers are going to have good coverage. Not to mention, you can configure smartphones to make calls through your Wi-Fi when you are at home.

With T-Mobile, if you pay for your phone up front, it's only $50 a month (well, more like $63 when you factor in taxes and other fees), and you're not stuck in any contract.

I picked up a pre-paid phone once when I got stuck at an airport and they lost my luggage (long story). Anyhow, I ended up holding on to that phone for several years, and honestly there were some months I could have simply gotten by with that and ditched my smartphone if I really wanted to save some extra money, because you prepaid the amount of minutes you used, and I hardly make phone calls so those minutes lasted me almost a year, lol.

8. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't understand how this would work. I get charged the same on my bill every month (with the exception of going over.) As long as I don't go over then I get the same bill, whether I use 1 min or 199 mins (I get 200.)
    I think you would save a lot more money by changing your phone plan. $80 seems very high, even where I am from (Canada.) Have you looked into cheaper plans? Drop your data?

9. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a flat monthly rental. You may, however, call the customer service of Verizon and enquire if you could be charged on pro-rata basis. If not ask them to change your plan. But in my knowledge, most post-paid connections come with monthly rental and if you want to utilize the pro-rata option, you got to migrate to pre-paid plan to do the same.

10. stephy2014

stephy2014New Member

Threads:
    No I don't face this kind of problem ever. I think it is a mistake by Verizon. Then it solve automatically. Thanks.