Swabs

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Feb 2, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Swabs seem to be something not very appreciated overall, but I still use mine after showering. I mean, how am I suppose to clean my ears? Do you also use them or do you have an alternative way to clean the ears?

2. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I still use Q-tips cotton swabs to clean my ears. I will admit, I've never been a fan of sticking them in my ear but until someone comes up with a better solution to cleaning our ears, I will continue to use them.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I guess if your careful about how deep you take the swab there is no problem I don't take a shower for the most part I take a bath. I have had a few issues with water getting into my ears during this. But I am somone who constantly has cotton in her ears due to drainage issues and this usually funnels the water. All I have to do then is take the cotton out of my ears and replace it. As for swabs not a fan of putitng them in the ear, but as I said if your careful have at it. I do think these do have a purpose though, some have used them for cleaning small areas of the body or for eye lid issues.

4. brreeves

brreevesNew Member

Threads:
    I may or may not be very obsessed with keeping my ears clean. I have been ever since I was a swimmer in elementary and middle school. I use Q-Tips at least once a day, because I can't stand my ears feeling wet or waxy. A lot of people say that this is a huge no-no, but I feel like as long as you're careful and don't go jamming it into your ear drum, it's relatively safe.
    And of course I use them for makeup, applying zit zapper to my face, cleaning up my nails after I paint them, and crafts. They're handy for a lot of reasons!

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Q-tips, they're such versatile and handy little things :) I really don't like sticking them in my ear too, if I absolutely have to; I make sure I don't go too far in. I've heard that by so doing, you can push the wax too far in to the ear, and possibly cause loss of hearing. I like brreeves use them to apply and correct my makeup, correct and tidy up my nail polish application, use them to spot treat pimples on my face, applying medicine anywhere else on my body etc

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love using swabs but I now use it more like the way they recommend doing it. I used to really shove it in as far as I can I because it felt good but now I'm afraid that it might do damage so I just use it closer to the outside of my ears, just enough to get the water out. I also heard that taking out earwax too much and too frequently isn't too healthy because the wax is there to protect your eardrums so I don't swab as much as I used to anymore.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yes, we don't need to put them all the way down because that might damage our ears, but we do need to use them to clean. Sure, I am not using them on a daily basis, I don't think there is the need for it, but a few times per week yes.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have dry earwax, so the cotton buds don't fully clean my ears. But I have found a better way to scrape the earwax off and completely. I use a blackhead remover, and have been using it for many years now, alongside the cotton buds. After "sweeping" all of the earwax out, the skin inside my ears feels "thin" and clean, as compared to it feeling "thick" and a bit waxy before I cleaned it.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To clean my ears I drip some hydrogen peroxide into my ears wait for the cleaning process to finnish loosen the earwax then use a Q Tip to clean out the loosened earwax. Using hydorgen peroide to loosen the earwax avoids the need to dig in my ears and risk injuring my eardrums.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Hydrogen peroxide? I don't even know what that is Pat, but by the name it sounds dangerous... :) A good think that also helps me is after the bath clean the ears well with the towel, that usually helps me and my kids a lot.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    hydrogen_peroxide.

Not dangerous at all! Well, at least not in its commercial, diluted form like this...

It's thin/clear like water and just bubbles a bit when it hits certain substances (like blood). It's great for cleaning wounds, ears, floors, etc.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Ah, I know what you're talking about, here we call it another name, but it's a pretty common substance that everyone has at home. I just never knew it was good to clean the ears.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a cotton bud too. Occasionally, I'll use some eardrops but in general I just make sure I'm careful with the swab. I've seen these earwax suction devices on sale before but never fancied trying them.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, me neither, no way I am going to use strange stuff on my ears, the swab is just enough. I've grown with that and it has never hurt me, so no real reason for me to change. Also, they are cheap. :)