Sweet foods

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Sep 25, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of us can't resist eating something sweet from time to time. If it's pretty obvious that we just might go for ice-creams in the summer and chocolates in the winter, how do you try to save on these guilty pleasures. I for once always have ice-creams in my fridge in the summer, this turns out to be way cheaper than buying on the streets. What about you?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would rather pay my bills than buy ice cream, so I'm pretty good at resisting a $4 half gallon of ice cream because I remember that $4 is 1/10 of my $40 a month electric bill.
    I save on sweet junk food by remembering that I'm a single mother with debts to pay, so I completely ignore the ice cream aisle.

If my daughter must have something, I freeze blended fruit ,juice or pudding in the ice pop molds that I've had for 6 years.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to have fresh fruit and nuts around my home at all times. When I feel like something sweet, I simply put some cashews, apples and soy milk into my blender and make a quick smoothie. I also always have at least one or two dark chocolate bars at home, from which I break off little pieces whenever I need a quick little pickup.

4. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to junk food, I'n a sucker for sherbet over ice cream. I can't get enough of it and can sit up and eat a whole tub of it in one sitting. My second sweet craving is buttery chocolate chip cookies with milk. I also adore fruits especially in smoothies. As far as candy, pies, cake, those are my alternate sweets. I have't bought ice cream of the street truck in over 15 years. You have a point, ice cream is much cheaper from the store.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to bake my own cookies and muffins which save a lot of money on purchasing things from the store. I walk 3 miles every day and eat light most of the time so that there is no guilt when I bake my cookies, plus I have 4 grand children who eat must of the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Not the same exact situation but the same kind of thing that I do...I hesitate to buy unnecessary things in general, and it's pretty easy for me to resist the sweets aisles altogether considering how many more important things there are to buy and pay for.

7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to buy sweets regularly and save up for a treat once or twice a month. If it's in my house I'll be tempted to eat it! I keep trail mixes with fruits and nuts on hand in case I want a sweet snack. I love sweets but definitely over eat when they're around. I save cakes/pies for special occasions and only buy ice cream and other sweet snacks every once in a while so I resist temptation.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sprouts Farmers Market has a great bulk section. Whenever I feel the need for something sweet, I can buy a few pieces of dark chocolate covered almond clusters. I can get a few pieces for under a dollar.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I used to be younger I liked sweet foods. I loved and ate a lot of ice-cold, sweetened yogurt. But as I grew older I couldn't stand either the yogurt or anything sweet. Since then I stopped buying ice-creams, yogurts and others. Only occasionally would you find chocolate or ice cream in my house and even then it would only be because I have little guests visiting.

10. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I am not very much into sweets. In fact, I do not like cakes/pastries much. During those rare times when I am looking for something sweet, I prefer ice cream. Any flavor will do. :D

11. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I am very much into sweets, I will eat anything sweet I have laying around the house, I curiously don't ever get fat, in fact I get thinner by the day and I suspect its not very healthy but anyway I always buy six packs of ice creams that i keep in the freezer during summer most of the time and in winter I will almost always go for any of the holiday treats that happen to come into my possession :D

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think we are all into sweets and this is pretty much the result of the unbalanced life we have, we don't eat properly, we don't exercise properly, so our bodies are all messed up and have sometimes this sugar rushes, but I feel this can be controlled.

13. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I usually also have a tub of ice cream in my freezer during the Summer, it's a great way to save some money since you usually end up buying some anyway (who goes the entire Summer without ice cream?) and for the same price as a single serving in an ice cream parlor, you instead buy a huge tub of it.
    Just be careful to eat moderately :)

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy one time big time. In that way I think I am able to save greater, not just the money but also the time. Another thing that I want to give emphasis on is that you are able to get more discounts when you buy a lot or those that are in pack. But specifically speaking on sweets, I cut down my intake because I am really addicted to sweets and one way I do that is by not buying at all.

15. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a huge sucker for sweets! I never leave the store without buying up a few sweets to make or ingredients to make sweets with. I do use coupons so the cost is cut at least 25% or more. There are ways around to affording sweets for those that want it but say they can't afford it.

16. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel that when I exercise the body asks for less sweets. I don't know if this is the natural way, I mean, the body exercises and asks for real food instead of sugars, like if our needs change. Either cases, it's always our choice to make the better option. ;)

17. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I remind myself that if I eat sugar, it may shorten my dance career by harming my joints. (sugar causes inflammation) I've gotten to the point where I do not want to eat sweets anymore because I know they are bad for me and I know I will regret it after I have bought it and after I have eaten it. If I need a treat that badly, I will buy one banana and cut it into tiny pieces and dust it with cocoa powder, it is enough of a treat for me, it tastes SO good.

18. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy eating cakes and if I don't have any then I bake some. They are comfort food and taste much better than salads to me. Every now and then is fine and we have to treat ourselves. Baking your own cakes and cookies saves money and also they are fresh and healthier. I add some wholewheat flour to muffins to make them a bit healthier too.

19. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I think I'm one of the few girls that doesn't actually enjoy sweets/ice cream/chocolate, not as an everyday thing anyway, but sometimes I will get a craving for it and when I do, its usually plain vanilla ice cream. I'm not a very big chocolate lover, there's only a couple candy bars that I even enjoy.

20. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat mainly whole foods, so I don't have to skimp on the sweets. My sweets are mostly fruits. If I want ice cream, I can blend up some frozen bananas and add whatever I'm feeling like. There are tons of ways to make healthy ice cream. The way I eat is pretty cheap and won't make me ill in the long run, so I have no desires anymore to eat what most would buy from a grocery store. Those cravings passed years ago and I'm so much better off for it.