Sweet potatoes

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Oct 12, 2014.

1. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I never liked sweet potatoes until lately. My mother in law has been frying them and they taste really sweet. I don't like them backed because there to mushy. I guess I don't like mussy sweet things.

2. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I love sweet potatoes, too. I do not like peeling them either. It is so time-consuming to me. I usually like to steam them with my rice with salt and oil; or boil them with tomatoes and scrambled eggs; or adding them with my curry dishes. They are very delicious. They are nice food and can fill my appetite well without eating too much.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I also love sweet potatoes. :D We boil them as well, so we can dip them in sugar. Sometimes, my mom cooks them with caramelized sugar. It's really great for dessert.

4. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I love sweet potatoes. I prefer them over regular ones. I think they have more flavor. I just had some really good sweet potato fries today. For a while I thought they were a little healthier than white potatoes but the difference is really marginal.

5. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's exactly how I feel as well penny. When cooking something with a little sauce these days, I always cook for me sweet potatoes instead of my regular one. Sure, it has to have some sauce because only boiled they don't pick any flavor and are not that great.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to make sweet potatoes with Uncle Wiley's sweet potato and yam seasoning, which cooks in the skillet with the potato chunks and water and turns into a cinnamon and brown sugar syrup.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Never tried that, but seems something delicious ACSAPA... One thing I started to do is to put them in soup, it adds a special creamy touch to it. Also, with octopus in the oven? Yummy! ;)

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not in love with sweet potatoes but I do eat them. I have one right now that I plan to cook for this evening. I just put the potatoe in the microwave for about 6 minutes depending on the size of the potatoe. No one else in the house eats sweet potatoes, when it is ready to eat I just sprinkle some cinnamon and butter on it and enjoy.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Wow, I have never heard of that before, but than again, I don't even have a microwave. You actually cook the sweet potato in the microwave for 6 minutes? In water of course right?

10. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Omigosh, yes to sweet potatoes. Baked, boiled or fried they are delicious. I also love sweet potato pies and breads. Or souffles with the marshmallows on top. It wasn't always so, though. Sweet potatoes were definitely an acquired taste for me and I would not have touched them with a ten foot pole as a child. In fact, not until I was in my twenties did I begin to really like them.

11. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally love sweet poatoes, too ! Not only are they delicious, they have a lot more vitamin A than a regular potato has, and they are much healthier for you than a white potato.
    White poatoes come from a family of plants called nightshades, and some of that family is deadly poison. Even the skin of a potato is bad for you if it has a greenish tinge to it.
    People have literally died from overeating on white potatoes, and were poisoned by the toxins in the potato.

A sweet potato is from a whole different family, and even the leaves of a sweet potato plant are healthy and good to eat.
    I have tried a kind of sweet potato soup, and it ws delicious, too !
    Altogether, you just can't go wrong with a sweet potato.

12. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    I haven't had sweet potatoes in a long time till recently and I've started loving them again! Oh my goodness, they are so good! I just boil them for awhile and then use a knife to cut it in half. The skin should easily be slid off afterwards. I feel like they're sweet enough without any added stuff. I personally like the yellow-ish colored ones best-- the Japanese Sweet Potatoes, I think they're called. The skin has a purplish hue to it. The orange ones are more common among my friends and restaurants I go to, but I don't remember them being as good as these. I might have to give them a try again and see how it ranks!

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never been a big fan, but I've been meaning to work them into my life.. they are so good for you. I was looking for recipes the other day actually. Did you know people are making icing out of them now? And cookies and cakes and brownies and and and. Think I might try some of those first, to transition myself. You can use real foods to make just about anything now! lol.

14. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    Love sweet potatoes!! I am really fond of them baked with butter and a bit of brown sugar sprinkled on them. I also like to cut them up, toss them in olive oil, salt and pepper and put them on a baking tray and pop them into the oven. My grandson loves them that way. I even made a potato salad using sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes and it was yummy. You just have to be careful not to cook them to much or they will disentigrate.

15. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    Love sweet potatoes!! I am really fond of them baked with butter and a bit of brown sugar sprinkled on them. I also like to cut them up, toss them in olive oil, salt and pepper and put them on a baking tray and pop them into the oven. My grandson loves them that way. I even made a potato salad using sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes and it was yummy. You just have to be careful not to cook them to much or they will disentigrate.

16. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I've fried sweet potatoes and eaten them just like russets. They are really very good that way. I've never even considered making them into a potato salad, though. That sounds interesting. I imagine they are good that way, and certainly they would make the salad a bit more colorful.

17. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    I have fried them too, also used them to make hash. I just love seet potatoes. My ex mother in law used to make the best sweet potato casserole. Try as I might, I have never been able to duplicate it. She put a wonderful crust using pecans and brown sugar on top, but she added something to the sweet potatoes themselves,, I have tried cinnamin, nutmeg, a combination of the two,, cloves,, nothing seems to match hers.

18. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to be in the mood for them, because sometimes I find them way too sweet to go with any of the other savory food on my plate. I know I should be eating more of them though than potatoes, since they are more nutritious, but I really love the taste of regular potatoes more, and they are often on sale for much cheaper, whereas sweet potatoes are often sold individually and end up costing more.

One of my favorite ways to eat them is to make a compound butter with cinnamon, sugar and salt - then cut off a chunk of it and put it over a baked sweet potato.

19. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I love sweet potatoes too, and I substitute it for regular mash potato, as it is more health for you than the white one. I also cut it into strips, put on a baking pan, and bake it for sweet potato fries. My family love them.

20. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also love sweet potatoes! I usually drizzle a bit of olive oil on them and roast them. I think this is the only way I enjoy them, but I do like them very much. I have actually been eating them more lately :)