Switching Off The Phone

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by remnant • Mar 27, 2016.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I don't turn my phone off very often at all. Mainly because I use it as an alarm clock. Also, I'm on it during the day, so it's rarely on while I'm awake. Everyone once in a while I'll give it rest when I'm asleep but that's usually on the weekends and it's pretty rare.

2. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    Not only does it prolong battery life but also when the phone is on it emits radiation constantly, the more reason it does not need to be on at night when you are sleeping, some experts even recommend switching off the router in the house at night, in order to limit the exposure of radiation. Experiments have also shown that constant headaches can be as a result of this constant exposure.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I absolutely switch my phone off at night, not just to save the battery. I mean, I know manufacturers also recommend it so your battery remains strong and durable. But I also do it to avoid calls from work. I mean, those guys will call at all sorts of hours, sometimes needing bailing out, when they aren't prepared to pay beyond a certain amount of hours. They pile pressure on you and what they forget is that some of us are freelancers who can only work limited hours. Any excess hours I work are regarded as being free. So why would I stretch myself like that for people who won't fight my corner LOL?!

4. bluebetta

bluebettaMember

Threads:
    I use my phone for my wakeup alarm, as well as leave it on in case family emergencies arise. I often plug it into the charger next to my bed so it is on, but charging. I do not know if that is bad for the battery or life of the phone, but I am just using a ten dollar prepaid track phone so I am not horribly worried about that.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mine is also a cheap little Nokia phone. Right now I can't afford any of the nice smart phones, so this one will just have to do for now LOL I also use it as my alarm, but the good thing about it is that it doesn't have to be on for the alarm to work like some phones. I switch it off and when the alarm goes off, it automatically goes on. The battery is not bad at all as it lasts 3-4 days.

6. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I wish that I could just turn my phone off whenever I wanted, but unfortunately the nature of my employment prohibits me from doing so. Sometimes I just want to be away from the thing, though, and I really do not use it all that much outside of the regular text here and there, but oh well. If I get the chance to turn it off believe me I will take it.

7. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I keep my phone on 24/7. I charge my phone only once a day. The battery lasts for the day. I don't use my phone too much. Once my son uses it to watch cartoon movies and play games. Otherwise only to make some occasional calls.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I keep my phone on all the time as I am nocturnal and like to browse and check for messages and calls in the middle of the night. People who matters to me are spread out in different time zones hence it's difficult to be off at any one point in time.

9. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I also keep my phone on 24/7 so I'm always within reach. I don't usually turn my phone off and never turned it off at night ever since I bought it 3 years ago. I can say that my phone's battery is still working fine since I take care of it's battery by charging it only if it's less than 15% and removing it from being charge only if it's full, and not overcharge it :)

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Just like everyone else here I keep it on 24/7 incase I get an important call or message. I don't have a house phone so my phone is the only mean of communication I have. I feel like I can sleep better keeping it on always incase my family needs anything urgently. I think safety is much more important than the battery span I rather pay to buy one rather than having to miss any emergency.

11. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I keep my phone on 24 hours of the day, I won't be comfortable if I put off my phone at night. I am opened to receive calls at any hour of the day. My night time is afternoon or morning in another part of the world and what if I am getting a call from those places it would be lost if my phone is off. We are in advanced times and it maybe terrible not able to reach someone at some crucial time simply because the phone was switched off

12. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, switching off the phone at night is subjective. It depends on the user. Phone is used for communication. If you are working at night, switching it off is impractical. It should be turned on as long as you are in duty. For me, I switch it off when I am going to sleep not only because I want to save battery but to avoid possible impact of radiation when I go to sleep for I keep my phone beside me when I am sleeping. I do check it up when I happen to wake up at night, then close it again.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only shut off my phone when I am charging it so the charging would be faster. When I inherited a Samsung, I bought an extra battery which is more convenient since I can charge the lobatt battery while using the fresh one. However, you have to buy a battery charger which costs $10.

We have many connections that may contact us any time so it is better to leave the phone running.

14. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    My phone has a non removable battery and an additional external battery. I never switch it off at any time, when am going to sleep or even during the day. Nowadays phones are basic items, they don't consume much power and when they do, it's always worth it. I don't see why you would switch it off at night.

15. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    No, my phone automatically goes to a power saving mode after 5 minutes of non-usage so it hardly uses battery power at night. I want to keep it on at night so I wouldn't miss an important call or text. If I turn it off while I'm sleeping, I might not be able to receive important messages because messages sent here have a maximum life of 6 hours in transit. An SMS message will not wait for me to turn my cellphone on but will expire if not received within 6 hours. I don't use my cellphone for purposes other than calling and texting so it's battery isn't overworked.

16. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    In places where there are epileptic power supply it could make sense to switch off your phone while you sleep to save the battery power for the next day activities. Where power is constant I do not think it's a wise step to have your phone off at night. There is no good reason to turn off the phone since power is sure. As much as possible I'd advocate for people to always leave their phones on.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never switched off my phone intentionally ever since I have started using one since 1998. I always thought that I should be available in case anyone wanted me at his side during emergency besides I always felt that if something bad happened to one of my loved ones they should be able to contact me at all times.

18. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Nope, I don't switch it off. I put it away from my bed and then sleep. At night I may get some emergency call from family or frineds, so switching off phone will not help in such situation. So I can't off the phone completely.

19. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I usually don't switch off the phone at nights as I want to be able to reached by the people in case of emergency. Otherwise I will have alarm so I don't switch off the mobile.

20. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I used to do this and then I just kind of stopped. I think I recognized that it is not worth missing an alarm and I would rather have all my clocks set. I am probably just being paranoid though.