Tablet as a family aid

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Gelsemium • Dec 30, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The wife bought a tablet for herself and the kids, I don't use it that much. Surprise surprise, it was a great purchase! She was always nagging me that I was too long on the computer or on the TV, but now she get's entertained with the new toy and I am free to do what I want haha. Any similar experiences? :cool:

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I think the tablet is a very affordable solution compared to buying a new laptop or computer. Kids love it because it is portable and they can carry it to their rooms or onto the couch. I am on the computer all day so it is not an option for me. I need a keyboard and I get tired of holding tablets. I also don't like stands because you have to be at a table.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, you can now go out with other girls without her noticing? Haha!

I had a similar experience. I bought my girl a phablet. She always said that I always look at my phone and laptop and I spend more time with my gadgets than her. Well duh, I make a living with these gadgets. Anyways, once she got hold of the phablet, she couldn't get her eyes off it haha! It was a great purchase indeed. Now I can do my work peacefully without her nagging.

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Over Christmas time I went to a few group gatherings that had young children in tow. After a while of food and drink, the children started to get a bit restless and started disrupting the overall environment. As soon as the parents could see what was going on, out came the tablets and the kids were absorbed in some Disney fare. Maybe it's not what some people would see as good parenting. But I thought it was great!

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I guess that's a good tip to keep someone preoccupied. I will definitely keep that in mind, haha! Before, PSP's and Game Boys were used to keep a child preoccupied. Now they use tablets. I wonder what's next?

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Virtual Reality. The Oculus Rift is still not fully developed. But when it becomes fully developed, it's gonna be the new device to keep kids occupied. That would be the day that we will be dooomed too.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, no, I don't want to be around with other girls, but we all need our space. :) Sure, if we have professional needs, that is one thing, but it's also true that we can't create a too big of a gap between us and our partner or else the relation is in risk.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Doomed? In what way? Yeah, I guess we can look forward to that, but I think the price would be expensive in the 1st year that it's released, so not everyone can initially afford it. So I guess our budget is doomed?

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Kids can spend hours and hours on the tablet, it's ridiculous to see a room filled with kids and each one on it's tablet instead of playing, it's anti-natural and unhealthy and no way I am going to promote that sort of behavior, quite the opposite, I ask them the tablet and tell them to go play.

10. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    Hah! My younger brothers could spend quite a long time with the tablet. They'd only leave it aside when it needed to be recharged, as it had battery problems, they couldn't use it while it was recharging.

I think having that tablet was more of a problem than a benefit. Now that the damned machine is kind of broken, the situation got better in a sense. One of them spends more time with his smartphone while the other watches more TV.

It's somewhat depressing, if you think it.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. Tablets are great tools for keeping everyone entertained without having each member of the family fighting for one device. We have a tablet that the kids in our family share and even that doesn't seem to be enough since they are always fighting over it but it's at least keeping them from having to bother me when I'm using mine. It's also great for keeping them entertained whenever the parents just need to rest or have some peace and quiet for a while.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The tablets are used to keep the kids busy just as many people have used the tv to keep the kids busy so that they can get some work done. I do agree that the kids spend way too much time on the tablets or playing games instead of going out side to play. We have 6 new bikes in the garage that do not get used because the guys are on the computers all the time.