Tablet or laptop?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Livvy • Jul 3, 2014.

1. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    It's as simple as the title says people! Which do you prefer to use on a day to day basis for your computing needs?

Personally I'd have to go with a laptop. I haven't actually used a tablet before, although hopefully I'll be picking one up in the not too distant future, but I think I'll still stick to my laptop for my usual day to day business, since I can't imagine being able to switch between skyping and reading comics, which I imagine is what I'll do most on my tablet.

2. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    For all of my online daily work, I stick to the computer. Its so much faster to type with a computer keyboard rather than fussing around with a touch screen. I do like to use my tablet to read books, play games, surf Pinterest, and read my blog feed. They both have their advantages as does my phone and I'm very lucky to have all three. I highly recommend getting a tablet if you like to read or like to surf around on the web before bed. It IS a lot easier to lay down and hold a tablet up than it is to do that with a computer. :)

3. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought a tablet yet, I still use my laptop. I like tablets because it's easier to read with them, and watching movies on your bed is more comfortable. The advantage of laptops is it is easier to type, which is a big disadvantage of tablets.

4. Broadleaf

BroadleafMember

Threads:
    I prefer a laptop because I work from home, and need to be able to type quickly and seamlessly on a laptop or a desktop personal computer. I can see why people enjoy tablets however, but as I mentioned because of my work I need to be able to quickly type anything at essentially any time of day.

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the laptop for my daily computing work. I am not comfortable typing on a tablet. My fingers are always looking for tactile keys. I use an android tablet for browsing and reading ebooks while on travel. My kids also use the tablet for viewing manuals for their model kit building, but that's about it.

When I need to travel, I carry a netbook with me. At least it still has a keypad although the speed is slower than that of a laptop.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I also work from home so if I only have to choose one then I will go for a laptop. For me, tablets are fine for internet surfing, reading ebooks, playing games and other "recreational" online activities but when it comes to serious work, then it's definitely a laptop for me. :)

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer a laptop because I'm much more used to it, so I can do a lot more things on it than I could on a tablet, not considering the different apps that can do many different things which I don't use that much anyway. Still, I'll admit that tablets are very good for many other extra things such as watching videos anywhere, since it's much harder to lug around a whole laptop, especially since I usually use my tablet to have something to watch while I cook in the kitchen, and it's much more practical to just bring a tablet than a big laptop. While cooking, I could set my tablet pretty much anywhere, whereas if I had brought a laptop I would have much trouble finding space for it. Not to mention batteries on tablets last way longer than laptops.

8. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    I think I might have to invest in a tablet then!

Not to mention that I'll be travelling on the bus for roughly half an hour both ways come September, so that'd be quite the good time to catch up on the comics I need to read.

9. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    A tablet would be great for instances like that! I really do love my Nook Tablet because I can do just about anything with it including extras that I can't do with my phone. Like I said, I prefer the computer for work during the day though. Buses tend to be kind of jostly so the last thing you'd want to do is balance a laptop especially just for 30 minutes!

10. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Definitely love my Laptop. I can't do the things I do on a Laptop on a tablet. Its much faster at sending big files and typing. A tablet is good if you are going somewhere, lets someones house and you don't want to carry a big laptop in your arm.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually plan to buy a tablet for the sole purpose of watching movies, reading and surfing while lying down. I noticed that nowadays, when I sit in front of the pc for quite a while, I feel really tired. So to solve that problem, I now plan to buy a tablet. But when I plan to type a lot, then of course my preferred device would be the pc.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought myself a tablet only about half a year ago and rarely use it, apart from reading e-books and chatting with family and friends on Skype. But I use my laptop everyday and also take it along wherever I go. Even when I was travelling around the world, I didn't think it was too much trouble to bring it along. I just put it in a suitcase with wheels and transported it across several countries.

#12Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  13. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    To me having a laptop is much more useful than having the tablet. The tablet for me is really just for surfing the web and a few small tasks that don't really need great performance. But if it comes down to it, I would rather have a laptop because I feel that there are a lot of things that I can do with my laptop. Also at the same time laptop is much easier to use in terms of ergonomics. I find tablets a bit tricky to hold in hand and do the tasks that I need to.

14. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    I usually stay at home and normally I use a desktop but when I'm not at home, I prefer using a tablet. It's just more practical and lighter than a laptop. But, if you're someone who needs more ram for whatever you do, then it should be a no brainer to just bring and use a laptop.

15. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    I personally do not believe that tablets will ever be a able to replace Laptop PCs, especially now that we have several Laptops that can actually serve a dual purpose: That is, they can be used as Laptops, and then when there's a need to have a tablet-like experience, they can very easily be re-arranged by rotating their screens, and then letting them rest on the the keypad.

moreover, it's not very easy to type comfortably with your fingers on those tablets screens for a long time. This single weakness makes the tablets completely unfit for any serious work.

Tablets surely have their own place, and obviously, are here to stay.

16. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly use my laptop, but I also have a tablet for taking quick notes or checking my emails. It's also easier to use on the toilet so I take it there when I have a longer 'sitting'. ;)

17. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a tablet, so my choice is pretty obvious, I am a laptop guy. I think laptops are really practical because they are robust, but at the same time we can carry them anywhere. As for tablets, they might seem ok for the occasional task, but if we really need to work we will need something with a bigger dimension.

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you had asked me that same question one week ago, I would probably say my laptop. However, this week I got an iPad, and I must say that it's so much more convenient to use, I prefer using my iPad instead of my laptop.

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I most complete my work on the laptop, I scan and type much faster on the laptop than is possible on a tablet. I like to look at movies on the tablet, it is very easy to cuddle in the bed with tablet and a movie.

20. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    Both! I love using my iPad because it's such a beautiful device to browse the web. The App Store just works wonders on that beautiful interactive tablet, which makes life that much elegant. My laptop is for things like word processing and programming, which I tend to do on a daily basis so there's no replacing that.

If I had to choose between one or the other (God I hope I don't, I don't want to leave either), I'd have to stick with my laptop because it's more versatile for my needs. Word Processing is a pain on a tablet, a breeze on a laptop. Programming is pretty much impossible to do effectively on the iPad (or any tablet, for that matter) because of the way the keyboard & software is designed.

Both are great inventions, and both shall prevail!