Tablet Or Real Book?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by danielle davidson • Jun 12, 2015.

1. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I had a tablet awhile ago, and I wasn't a fan of it. I honestly didn't like reading on it that much. I like being able to feel the book and feel and see how much more of the book I have left. With the tablet, you aren't able to see how much more you have left. I know that they have a place where it tells you how much is left, but it just isn't the same to me. I think that holding the book in my hands is just so much better. So, do you like using a tablet or reading from the real book more, and why?

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Oh man.

This debate.

I'm a pretty big reader. Generally speaking, I'm still a real-book lover and won't buy a tablet. I like to be able to flip back and forth to different places in a book. I like to be able to spoil the ending if I need to. I frequently forget names or places or whatever. To me, it is very difficult to flip around in a tablet. I also have a very spatial memory and can easily recall very minute details in books because I remember where they are on a page and about where they are in the book. I cannot do this when reading on a tablet.

Now.

All that said, I have read a few books on my phone and also have borrowed Kindle's from friends. It isn't preferred usually, but right now I'm reading "The Goldfinch" and that book is SO HUGE I actually like having it condensed on the tablet and my hands don't get tired from holding it. Silly. I know.

3. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I feel the same way. Sometimes I will put my book down for a couple days and I will forget what I have read. I like being about to go back a couple pages and then know what's happening. I also feel that it's hard to go back and forth between the pages so that I can see what I'm missing. Honestly, I think overall a real book is the way to go. It's just so much easier to read than it would be with a kindle. I have an iPad and I have thought about reading some books and there, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do so. Maybe if I found a good free book I would. Overall, I will keep reading from a real book.

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I would always and forever love and prefer real books over ebooks. I don't have much patience reading through gadgets, whether it is a laptop or a tablet. I am also a book hoarder so I think that sums it all up. :)

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only bought a tablet for gaming, surfing and messaging purposes. I downloaded Google Books and an e-book reader only because I was so concerned about power outages and not having anything to do during such occasions. What I like about real, tangible books is that you can feel the story more with every turn of a page. Moreover, books don't have backlights that hurt one's vision. On one hand, reading e-books can drain your tablet so fast it's going to be a waste of energy.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My preference would be a real book but we don't always get what we want, right? Since I rarely read a book more than once there's absolutely no need for me to get myself "physical copies" of books and have them sit around on some shelf once I'm done reading them. Reading Ebooks [on any device] I've found to be much better because I don't have to buy most of the books I read and don't have to keep them either.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't care how I'm reading something as long as I am getting to read whatever it is that I am wanting to read at the time. The only annoyance when it comes to tablets is the fact that some are a little bit difficult to hold a certain way, and for a long period of time due to how big or wide they are. That is one problem that you don't get from books.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Tablet 100%. When I was younger, I was a book-worm and always had a book with me. My parents even got mad at me once for bringing a book when I wasn't supposed. (only kid in the universe who got yelled at for reading too much!) But my love of reading kind of stopped during high school for a variety of reasons and I just didn't have the same motivation to read.

The Tablet brought it back. I loved having my entire library at my disposal and that I could get another book instantly if I wanted. It just made reading so easy and convenient that I started doing it all the time and everywhere again. My tablet was easily one of the best purchases I've ever made.

9. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it's not that serious for me. I find that I'm much more willing to consider reading a book when I don't have to worry about it taking up room that I don't have to spare in my home. I can't imagine buying a real book any more. The only way I would is if it isn't available in a digital format.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Despite me saying that I'd rather a real book over a tablet, I do tend to read a lot of stuff on my smartphone. I go to fanfiction websites and such, and read a lot of stuff there. I have also found books that I otherwise would have paid for for free online, and have read them on my smartphone. Really though, I'll read whatever on whatever.

11. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I really like my e-books for the convenience factor, but I still love a real book just a bit more. There’s really nothing like the feel, the scent of a real book. It gives you a sensory experience you just can’t get from a tablet.

12. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    I prefer reading from a book. I love to have my book and bookmarker and turning the pages. I have read with my kindle and it was nice but I just prefer it old school.

13. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer reading from an ebook reader because i can read it anywhere without bringing extra baggage aka the book itself. I usually read on my Kindle app on my phone and it's the best thing ever. I still have my physical books though and i'm never getting rid of them, they bring back really good memories when things are simple. :)

14. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to read real books. I like my tablet but I am not crazy about reading books on it. Maybe I am just old school but I prefer to go to the library and check out a good book.

15. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Much as there appear to be pros and cons to both and I do remember being absolutely thrilled when I first got my e-reader - I have to admit that even though its lightweight and especially good for traveling - particularly as it means I can have plenty of reading material without having to sacrifice too much of my valuable luggage space - I hardly ever use it - as for some reason I seem to get so much more enjoyment out of reading a book - when I can actually touch it and physically turn the pages - apart from which real books are somewhat more reliable - as they don't ever run out of batteries or malfunction.

16. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have space to keep large amounts of physical books anymore but I like to re-read things so digital books work best for me. In addition, because I read very fast, I often have to carry 2 books (the one I'm reading and my next one) with me if they're physical. Digital books eliminate that problem and I really love my kindle. Anything e-ink works for me though.

That said, I'll take a physical book over a tablet at night or in the sunlight if my kindle isn't available. Tablet screens can be hard to see in the sunlight and I already have enough trouble putting down my book to sleep. With a backlit tablet, reading on one can keep me up all night. Reading on one near bedtime really messes up my circadian rhythm.

17. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Well this is quite a tough choice because there are huge benefits to reading on both for me. Books are nice because they don't strain your eyes as much andI agree that it feels much better to hold the actual copy in your hand then an electronic tablet. But there are also some cons to reading from books as well, enough cons that I would rather just read on my tablet.

The main reasons why I would have to choose a tablet over a book is because tablets are more portable and you can store plenty of books to read on the go. I'm a travel guy and I go from place to place quite often. It just doesn't make sense to bring a whole library with me wherever I go. Why do that when I could just download them all into my tablet and read it the same way? Also books are expensive! I would rather just buy the ebook and read it from my tablet then buy a physical copy and have it take up space. Because overtime, books really do pile up and you end up having a massive library of books that you no longer have any use for. On you tablet, all I gotta do is hit the delete button and it's gone. A lot easier and cheaper way to read in my opinion.

18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Certainly convenience is the main factor I can think of when I choose digital formats over paper versions, but unless is a book I wish to have madly, and not available on digital form, is that I get a paper book instead.

Besides, remember that print books are costly if compared with the price of their digital counterparts.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't like reading from a tablet or a PC because after quite some time my back or arm aches. I also Iike to be able to read without lights glaring at me. However, I don't have that many books since I prefer to just download ebooks because books can be quite expensive and they take up too much space.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    My tablet is a bit of a pain in the butt, to be honest. I got it for a really cheap price on Amazon, and did not realize that I would be getting exactly what I had paid for. The reviews were pretty good, so I foolishly purchased the tablet. Then when it arrived, there were all sorts of issues. I could not read ebooks on it because the system was very laggy. Then I checked the amazon reviews again, and many of them had reported some of the same things that I had encountered with the product. But on my android phone, I have ereader applications, and it is a great experience.