Tablet + Usb Keyboard?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Colebra • Mar 11, 2015.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    First of all, sorry if this is a silly question, but I never owned a tablet...
    Here's what's up:

I've been thinking about retiring my computer for a while...
    But I don't really want/can spend the money right now.
    So I thought that if I can get a tablet where I can get some decent writing done, I'll be just fine for a decent amount of time.
    Plus the tablet comes in Handy.

So here's my question:

What kind of tablets will work with a usb keyboard?

Thanks in advance, guys!

2. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    Microsoft's Surface Tablets have covers that double as keyboards (

). It's basically a mini laptop given that it has a touchpad too.

If you're just looking to buy a cheap tablet (do you have a range?), this

one's pretty good. Are you only using your tablet for writing? Do you have any preferences as to brand, size, etc.? The minimum I see are 7 inch, 8 GB tablets on sale for like $40-50 but I'm unsure of how good they are.

3. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon's kindle fire has bluetooth keyboard that's designed specifically to work with it. It's not the only brand that does that. If you don't mind a slightly older but still good condition tablet, check out craigslist. Often you can find tablet AND a keyboard case for less than a new tablet and case.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think android tablets mostly can support usb accessories as far as I know. Although it's much more common these days to see the use of Blutooth keyboards instead. There are also some sa lets out there that have keyboards specially designed for the tablets to dock into. Microsoft tablets are the most popular brand for this but I think they are a bit expensive. Acer also has them and I think Lenovo might have one too but it's also okay to just get any other tablet model or brand and just find a converter to plug in USB accessories on them.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if you can connect a USB keyboard directly to the tablet, it probably depends on the model. You might have to buy specific accessories like Bluetooth keyboards for it to work out.

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    From what I've seen, these cost a little more than what I was planning to spend...

I was looking to spend about $150.
    Pretty much just writing, and browsing.

Kindle Fire HD costs $159.
    Keyboard costs $60.
    Not a bad tip. Thanks! ;)

I've read a couple of websites where people say that the Tablet actually supported the USB keyboard, but the keys were all messed up. Like "e" automatically opens the e-mail o_O

Thansk for the help, guys! :)

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, as said before, it would be better to get any kind of tablet and pair it with a generic Bluetooth keyboard - it should work just fine.

8. muddypoultry

muddypoultryNew Member

Threads:
    I don't know man, that seems like a massive workaround where laptops seem like a better choice. You're practically spending the money involved anyway.

9. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2.0 maybe works ...

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Very few tablets work with USB keyboards and peripherals. However, Bluetooth devices will connect seamlessly and be ready to go right away. You could potentially attach a Bluetooth dongle to a USB device, alhtough that's a hit and miss proposition.

11. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't have an exact answer to this question, but I am assuming that if the tablet has an USB entry it will recognize the peripherals right? Either cases, nothing like asking before buying to that you don't get a bad surprise.