Tailgate Parties and other Sporting Event Snacks

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Oct 17, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you tailgate or even make snacks while watching the big game at home? What are your favorite snacks to make or to eat while watching sports? Do you stick to your regular snack choices or make something a little more exciting? Do you invite others over to watch and then make fun food? I love football, and I'm looking for some fun, affordable, ideas for game day snacks if anyone has some to share.

2. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Chips are always a fun favorite. My dad usually pulls out a portable grill while we tailgate and cooks burgers for everyone. We also pop out a lot of fun handsy foods, such as chips with dip, crackers with spray cheese, pickles, and other horridly unhealthy yet delicious things. He'll also cook hotdogs which is also fun to eat while tailgating. Anything that can be held in one hand while throwing a football across the parking lot with the other is a sure-fire win.

3. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I've tailgated a few times with my family and friends, and it was fun. So what if I don't get to physically see the game being played inside the stadium, I can watch a game online on a laptop, phone, tablet, radio, or portable TV system, and instead save a huge amount of money, time, and energy. Plus, I can enjoy myself without having to deal with other idiots, who will be more than likely sitting nearby me if I attended a game inside the stadium. Tailgating, also brings all types of people that I can hang out with, which I can enjoy with them some tasty foods my group will be cooking and celebrating the game with good drinks.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really get in to sports personally, but I'm always up for a get together with my friends, even if it means getting together to watch a game. I'm more in it for the socializing, food and drinks and never really pay much attention to the game itself, lol.

I always try and make sure the spread has plenty for both meat eaters and non meat eaters so they don't feel left out or excluded. If I know for certain there are vegans coming, I will take extra care to make sure there are plenty of items for them as well.

It helps to try and coordinate who is bringing what though, if you are asking everyone to chip in with a dish. Otherwise Iv'e found that many people all make the same things, like three people will make a buffalo chicken dip, or several people will show up with macaroni salad, and it all ends up going to waste. Plus I try not to have too many things based on mayo, ranch dressing, sour cream and cheese - it becomes overkill and it's too rich to eat so much of all of that.

One of my recent favorites is to simply make some BBQ pulled chicken. I pressure cook some boneless skinless chicken thighs that have been cleaned of any excess fat or cartilage, for about an hour or so in a little water, until they are fall apart tender. Then I chop and shred the chicken and toss it with regular old Open Pit brand BBQ sauce and a little Hickory Liquid Smoke. The Open Pit BBQ sauce works best imo since it's looser and more vinegary, it adds a nice tangy kick without being too thick and sweet like many other BBQ sauces on the market. After mixing everything together I will bake it in a 500 degree oven or put it under the broiler until the top starts to become a bit charred, and the rest of it is heated through. When it's done it looks, smells and tastes like it's been cooking in a smoker all day, but it really took just about an hour and a half.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been tailgating in a long time but when I did I liked to bring dips (like a seven layer type), chips, fruit, and beef jerky/other dried foods along. I'm not really into grilling hot dogs and burgers but I'll eat them occasionally. I prefer to snack on smaller foods throughout the day.

6. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    We are usually the car that has the grill, meat, and beer. We usually do not bring the snacks since we are the meal providers in our group of friends and they bring the snacks.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These are some great ideas. You guys are right about making sure everyone doesn't bring the same things. A party with nothing but macaroni salad isn't much of a party, or one where everyone just brings a bag of chips and expects everyone else to bring real food. It sounds like your group has a good plan, Servace, with everyone bringing things to complement what others bring.

My husband does the grill cooking and he's great at it. I'm good at making all the other stuff.