Tailgating

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by May102014 • Jul 30, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Are you ever annoyed with people who tailgate you? This is very disgusting as well as scary. When people tailgate me or anybody else, there could be many possibilities. I hate it so much because I am not a crazy driver and usually drive within the speed limits posted, sometimes going over by 5 miles. The person behind me usually go around after they see I refuse to go any faster. I view it as a bullying tactic and nothing pisses me off more when some stranger is trying to force me to drive at a speed suitable for them. What are your thoughts?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know what my tactic is these days? I just go slow and slower when there is any kind of road rage or bullying going on that others try to involve me in. I am just so tired of all the nonsense that I don't even react to it anymore. In the past I lived in a place where people would scream abuse at me for going too slow, speeding past me only to land directly in the arms of the police. And I would just drive by, following the speed limit, trying to hold myself back from waving out the window and shouting congratulations to them for displaying such extraordinary intelligence.

3. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    Yes, I absolutely hate tailgaters. If I am going at the speed limit, you should either follow behind me at a sensible distance. The tailgaters I find are usually the idiots who after realising you are slowing down due to their actions, roar past you in their usual TDI powered cars (Mostly Audi A4's) and then just having to slam their brakes as they see the red light ahead. I think that they are just idiots for putting themselves and potentially other people at risk as well as wasting their fuel when they fly past you and wearing their brakes out quicker.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I hate when people do that to me. Luckily it doesn't happen often but when it dose I'm usually not even driving slow. It's like the person behind me wants to go flying down the freeway at 95 miles an hour. And sure enough, when I change lanes and let them go past me, that's what they end up doing. Well, I'll let them get a ticket not me.

5. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeRMember

Threads:
    Yeah, I usually end up going slower such as Dora M says. I know this tactic may seem a little spiteful but if someone continues to stay close to my bumper then slowing down usually gives them a signal. If I am going the speed limit and driving normally I have just as much of a right to be on the road as any other driver.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tailgating is so dangerous because when a person follows that close to another vehicle it does not give the driver time to stop if something in front of the car they are too close to requires the driver to stop without warning. I generally will tap my brakes a few times and drive slower if I fee a person is too close to me. Most rearend collisions are because people are following too close to the other vehicle.

7. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Tailgaters frighten me, too. I'm not sure if this is a problem in all states or if there are laws against them in other areas, but lately it seems that drivers with the brightest headlights (halogen?) will use those lights as a weapon to force drivers into another lane or to drive faster. Many times, I have been on a curvy and dark two lane road with those distracting headlights pressed right against my bumper. It makes it difficult for me to see the road ahead. We have a lot of collisions with deer around here, and I'm always afraid I won't be able to see those critters because of the guy/girl behind me with headlights brighter than the sun.